Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

East Coast Aztec

OT: USNWR 2017

2 hours ago, davemathew said:

SJSU Engineering rank #3 according to U.S News & World Report (link below).  I don't think Fresno or any MWC would be anywhere close if in the same category.  

SJSU is an engineering school and they build on that reputation (again, see below article).  

The quote from the publishing also say the same: "more alumni from SJSU work at top Silicon Valley companies than any other school."  Apple for example employs more SJSU grads than any other school - this despite the bay area is known to attract millions of talents from around the country (esp Ivy League) and the world, yet apple and most top tech companies still select SJSU grads over everyone else.  That to me speaks for itself.  Remember, these top tech companies receive something like 20,000 resumes a week so they have choices and yet they pick SJSU!

But you would never know that about SJSU if you only live on this board.  

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2016/09/13/sjsu-engineering-program-shines-in-u-s-news.html

Idiot. Complete idiot. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

1 hour ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

Idiot. Complete idiot. 

Throw a tantrum, that would make your case.  Not.

Still, the facts remain that

• SJSU rank  #3 according to U.S News & World Report (link below) in the same category as Cal Poly.  Link below.
  • "more alumni from SJSU work at top Silicon Valley companies than any other school."   Link below.
  • Spartan grads are beating out grads from other top schools, including UC Berkeley and Stanford, when it comes to landing tech jobs.  Link below.
  • Silicon Valley companies select SJSU over any other schools despite receiving tens of thousands of resumes PER WEEK nationally/globally at a SINGLE top company.
  • Apple hires more SJSU grads than any other.
  • Engineering grads including those from SJSU make over $150k salary - look up on http://payscale.com

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2016/09/13/sjsu-engineering-program-shines-in-u-s-news.html

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/08/25/san-jose-state-university-sjsu-silicon-valley-tech-jobs-apple-cisco-hewlett-packard/

7 hours ago, davemathew said:

• SJSU rank  #3 according to U.S News & World Report (link below) in the same category as Cal Poly.  Link below.
  • "more alumni from SJSU work at top Silicon Valley companies than any other school."   Link below.
  • Spartan grads are beating out grads from other top schools, including UC Berkeley and Stanford, when it comes to landing tech jobs.  Link below.
  • Silicon Valley companies select SJSU over any other schools despite receiving tens of thousands of resumes PER WEEK nationally/globally at a SINGLE top company.
  • Engineering grads including those from SJSU make over $150k salary - look up on http://payscale.com

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/08/25/san-jose-state-university-sjsu-silicon-valley-tech-jobs-apple-cisco-hewlett-packard/

Yet, US News thinks Fresno State is a better overall university. But, keep typing away. It'd be a more productive use of your time if you sent it to US News. I'm sure they'd be very interested in adding number of Apple hires to their university rankings. 

The irony in this is all is that you're mimicking your administration in the last few decades to perfection. "Nothing to see here...we're doing just perfect over here" as your university and athletic department crumble. 

14 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I am not from there, but I have heard CA students rack up AP's like crazy and it bloats the GPA. 

As for engineering, perhaps that single program could help, but even then you have GA Tech, Auburn, VT, Michigan State, Minnesota, Texas, Tennessee, Cornell, Penn State, Iowa, Purdue......  I don't know, you say "what school is going to ring out in your head, UC Irvine, or Wisconsin?"  

Must be those nights on State Street in Madison that may be bias the mind.

Gtech and Cornell are world class. VT, Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan State are great schools, probably about where Washington or CU is - but there's about as many schools of that quality in the far less populated west. Auburn, Tennessee, Penn State, Iowa I have not heard anything about which generally is not a good thing. 

The thing is more that the "good" western schools have great engineering programs and the average western schools - like say MSU Bozemen have very good schools. Oregon State is a fairly middle of the road state school except for engineering and the west has schools like Colorado and South Dakota schools of mines that don't really have parallels in the east outside of very prestigious places like Cooper Union or Olin. 

And in structural... Irvine wins, IIRC. Funnily enough in structural engineering, the closer you are to a fault the better the school as a general rule (see: Stanford, Illinois, Clemson, Washington)

7 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

When I went to school you had to qualify to get into an AP class. Now, half the class it seems take AP classes.. My daughter just graduated with a 4.5 and had a couple of Bs. I can't figure that one out. Unfortunately the competitive colleges look at the difficulty of your course load and forces everyone to take those classes with the subsequent grade inflation. It's like an arms race.

When I was in school you got an AP boost for AP classes, but you got 0.01? extra per class from what I remember. The kids who took 6 AP classes a year and got all As had GPAs of 4.15. 

Now you see stuff like 4.8 like it's the old 3.8. 

26 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i wish USU had more name cachet and bragging rights from a list like this.

in all truth, though, the school did very well in preparing me for my career.  i work with grads from carnegie mellon, alabama, oklahoma state, william and mary, wichita state, va tech, virginia, george mason, michigan state, etc...  i do very well.

It always makes me shake my head when the ranks use incoming SAT scores and acceptance rate as how good a school is.

A school is as good as the finished product, not the raw material. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

7 hours ago, davemathew said:

That's great.  Can you tell us why Sharta can't seem to fundraise very well for athletics?

6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

You will get your privilege checked immediately if one of them heard you say this.

Emory assholes lecturing about privilege?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, East Coast Aztec said:

Why, never!!!

Bruh you need to check your privilege

I went to an undergrad with literally half the cost of attendance as you, 3/4 was covered by schollies and aid, and I majored in "something I can do that makes money" and not Ancient Mediterranean Studies, as fun as that would have been. Your parents own more in cars than mine own in house

Stop your oppressing

9 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Bruh you need to check your privilege

I went to an undergrad with literally half the cost of attendance as you, 3/4 was covered by schollies and aid, and I majored in "something I can do that makes money" and not Ancient Mediterranean Studies, as fun as that would have been. Your parents own more in cars than mine own in house

Stop your oppressing

What's interesting about truly elite colleges is that a student has the luxury of majoring in Ancient Mediterranean Studies in the knowledge that he can still get a job on Wall Street or with a blue chip consulting and VC firms if that's what he wants.  Goldman-Sachs or McKinsey are going to walk over a thousand business majors from Nevada, Wyoming or SDSU to hire that Philosophy grad from Chicago.

SteelCityBlue

November 24th, 2018 at 9:10 PM ^

I'm looking forward to a new head coach who isn't a cud-chewing autistic retard.

1 minute ago, Victor Maitlin said:

What's interesting about truly elite colleges is that a student has the luxury of majoring in Ancient Mediterranean Studies in the knowledge that he can still get a job on Wall Street or with a blue chip consulting and VC firms if that's what he wants.  Goldman-Sachs or McKinsey are going to walk over a thousand business majors from Nevada, Wyoming or SDSU to hire that Philosophy grad from Chicago.

Well, "Do you know..." who their fathers are?

9 hours ago, davemathew said:

As Victor Maitlin said, proximity will play a role. Roughly half of MDs set up practice in/near the location of their residency. They have made professional contacts, started putting down roots, etc. SJSU may benefit from a similar behavior for technology. If nothing else someone already living in Silicon Valley is less likely to move elsewhere or complain about cost of living.

But you are posting only about one part of the university.

Campuswide, the minimum CSU Eligibility Index (EI) for a local area high school student to be admitted to Fresno State in any major is now 3100.

That 3100 EI is higher than the minimum for a Santa Clara County student to be admitted to SJSU in over 50% of SJSU's undergrad majors including Math, Physics, Geology, and other science areas. Many of SJSU's majors list a 2900 minimum EI.

http://www.sjsu.edu/admissions/impaction/impactionresultsfreshmen/

http://www.fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/are/impaction/fall2017-impaction.html

In 2015-2016:

• San Diego State awarded 142 doctorates (in a variety of fields, mostly joint doctorates)
  • Fresno State awarded 64 doctorates (DPT/DNP/EdD), second highest in the CSU
  • San Jose State awarded 0 (not even any joint doctorates in engineering/tech fields)

I would not try to argue that Fresno State is a top tier academic school. But I would argue FS, like SDSU and Cal Poly, is doing a nice job of separating academically from other CSU campuses.

But to point to SJSU's strong engineering/tech programs as an indicator of the overall campus academics is ignoring other information.

129.  Colorado State

146.  San Diego State

169.  Hawaii-Manoa

171.  Wyoming - tied with muthafukkin' Idaho.

176.  New Mexico

197.  Nevada

220.  Fresno State

220.  Utah State

NR.  Boise State

NR.  UNLV

Regional Ranking

33 (West).  San Jose State

National Liberal Arts Rankings

32.  Air Force Academy

For perspective...

7 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

129.  Colorado State

146.  San Diego State

169.  Hawaii-Manoa

171.  Wyoming - tied with muthafukkin' Idaho.

176.  New Mexico

197.  Nevada

220.  Fresno State

220.  Utah State

NR.  Boise State

NR.  UNLV

Regional Ranking

33 (West).  San Jose State

National Liberal Arts Rankings

32.  Air Force Academy

For perspective...

32 for the Liberal Arts Ranking is a pretty great ranking when you look at some of those colleges on that list.

Interesting thread.  I agree that no one should get super high horsed about these ranking because they are flawed.

My concern is that USNWR sort of reverse engineered their rankings.  They knew they wanted to put Ivy League on top and then figured out which metrics more or less get them to the list they want.  The methodology favors private universities because the people who designed the test want private universities at the top of their rankings.  Yes, there are many ways public and private universities can be compared and USNWR does that, but they heavily discount assets that public universities have because private universities have no comparison.

I put more stock in their ranking that exclude private universities.  USNWR has offered this way to sort and I think it's really the only way to really look at universities who play FBS football.  If you eliminate the private universities from USNWR, then you get a much more reasonable list that reflects what most people can afford; SDSU is the highest ranked CSU and its slightly above UC Merced (lowest UC).  I think most people would see attending SDSU as an undergrad as better than UC Merced by a much greater margin than USNWR does.

It is hugely misleading to conflate granting PhDs and research funding.  The two are completely distinct problems.  Yes, I agree that there are too many PhDs, especially in non STEM fields and that you probably aren't helping anyone by letting them go into significant debt to get a PhD which is very unlikely to actually qualify them for the job the are seeking (i.e. become a university professor).

SDSU, or any other Cal State University is not limited by the California Higher Education Master Plan in the ability to obtain research dollars and certainly some types of research need lots of cheap graduate student labor more than others.  Post doctoral research is also very, very common and SDSU would have every opportunity to hire Post Docs for research labs.

One more thought about the UC system versus the CSU system: per pupil spending.  On a per pupil basis, the out of state cost of attendance is fairly close to what the total budget of the university is on a per pupil basis. The California LAO estimates that UC per pupil spenind was about $25,000 in 2015 while CSU was 15,000 http://www.lao.ca.gov/Publications/Report/3372 Each Cal State campus is funded, on a per pupil basis, at an amount that meets or exceeds the "flagships" of most other states. For example, Ohio State is funded at a $5,000 per pupil level.  

The take away - Cal State are funded much better than most FBS Power 5 schools on a per pupil basis.  Only Wyoming is funded at a level comparable to CSU in the MW (although Air Force clearly has plenty of funds but is supported federally and not at the state level directly).

I think that it ultimately speaks highly of the MW that the universities aren't glorified pro teams like many FBS programs have, although some posters on this board might prefer more tax dollars for athletics at their particular school. 

58 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

As Victor Maitlin said, proximity will play a role. 

You guys definitely have something against READING COMPREHENSION IR to proximity.  

• Top tech companies receive 20,000 resumes, A WEEK, at A SINGLE company, around the country and the world, yet they choose SJSU grads to hire over all others.  Proximity isn't an issue.  When Engineering salary at top tech is $150K, people would still move here in a heart beat if given the chance even with the high cost of living.  It's about your career - $150K today, but $250K salary down the line.  Plus, millions of dollars in potential stock options, espp, gifted stocks, etc, etc.
  • Your proximity logic is easily debunk also here:  Spartan grads are beating out grads from other top schools, including UC Berkeley and Stanford.  FYI for geography challenged, Stanford is in the heart of Silicon Valley  Berkeley is also part of the Bay Area across from tech hub San Francisco - heck undergrads from Berkeley even commute daily to SF to take their off campus classes in the city.

Also, plenty of other SJSU programs in addition to Engineering are top notch.  Case in point, here's a link even back in 2013 where a 3.8 GPA magna cum laude got rejected by SJSU to the animation program.  

I'm happy to provide more examples.

"Years of hard work earned Mary Hale an associate degree in 3-D animation and video game art, a 3.8 GPA and a magna cum laude distinction. But it didn’t get her the one thing she was counting on for her future: a coveted spot in San Jose State’s highly regarded animation program."

Note in every thread, I don't just make up stuff but provide link to stats quoted.  

http://www.mercurynews.com/2013/06/14/san-jose-state-animation-program-hundreds-of-students-shut-out/

18 hours ago, Victor Maitlin said:

Just for comparison's sake, here are percent scoring 30+ on the ACT for several highly selective publics.  I'm not going to do all the SAT and class rank numbers too, but if anyone wants to look stuff up, this is a good site.  It pulls straight from the universities' common data sets.  http://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg02_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=85

Percent of freshman class scoring 30+ on ACT

Berkeley 72%

UCLA 57%

UC-San Diego 38%

UC-Santa Barbara 34%

UC-Davis 33%

Washington 38%

Michigan 71%

Ohio State 44%

Wisconsin 42%

Illinois 44%

Purdue 36%

Minnesota 36%

Indiana 30% (the Big Ten short bus?)

Texas 51%

Virginia 64%

North Carolina 52%

Georgia Tech 81% (shocked that it's higher than UCB, Michigan and Virginia)

Pitt 41%

For comparison's sake, Cal Poly-SLO is 36%, so they are absolutely competitive with all but the top quarter here.

I got curious and looked at MWC schools for the same percentage of those who scored 30+ on the ACT

SDSU-12%

CSU-12%

UNLV-4%

UNR-8%

AFA-56%

BSU-7%

UNM-5%

Wyo-12%

SJSU-Not Reported

FSU-1%

USU-13%

UH-Manoa-6%

1 hour ago, FresnoFacts said:

As Victor Maitlin said, proximity will play a role. Roughly half of MDs set up practice in/near the location of their residency. They have made professional contacts, started putting down roots, etc. SJSU may benefit from a similar behavior for technology. If nothing else someone already living in Silicon Valley is less likely to move elsewhere or complain about cost of living.

Campuswide, the minimum CSU Eligibility Index (EI) for a local area high school student to be admitted to Fresno State in any major is now 3100.

That 3100 EI is higher than the minimum for a Santa Clara County student to be admitted to SJSU in over 50% of SJSU's undergrad majors including Math, Physics, Geology, and other science areas. Many of SJSU's majors list a 2900 minimum EI.

http://www.sjsu.edu/admissions/impaction/impactionresultsfreshmen/

http://www.fresnostate.edu/studentaffairs/are/impaction/fall2017-impaction.html

In 2015-2016:

• San Diego State awarded 142 doctorates (in a variety of fields, mostly joint doctorates)
  • Fresno State awarded 64 doctorates (DPT/DNP/EdD), second highest in the CSU
  • San Jose State awarded 0 (not even any joint doctorates in engineering/tech fields)

I would not try to argue that Fresno State is a top tier academic school. But I would argue FS, like SDSU and Cal Poly, is doing a nice job of separating academically from other CSU campuses.

But to point to SJSU's strong engineering/tech programs as an indicator of the overall campus academics is ignoring other information.

The guy is literally making the argument that more SJSU grads being hired by the tech industry than Berkeley means that they're a better university than Berkeley. He's an idiot. It's a waste of time arguing with him. 

I don't blame him. I'd also be pissed off if a newer school from a so-called undesirable location passed us up after a hundred years of being ahead. Although, his anger would be better suited directed at his schools administration.