Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

ESPN is laying off 100 employees today

18 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

It makes no sense to me that they aren't trying to reduce their P5 and pro sports contracts.  

"We're really sorry you paid Screaming A Smith 5 gajillion dollars, and bid against yourself to keep Monday Night Football, so we're going to take a 100 million dollars less on our legally binding contract to help out". - Said nobody ever

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

10 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Here's a running list. Two of the victims are former MW beat writers; Brett McMurphy (Boise State) and Austin Ward (Wyoming).

A Running List of ESPN Layoffs

Danny Kanell and Brett McMurphy were both pretty good.

I would guess McMurphy might find something here if he is interested, but I think he is from North Carolina and might head back there. 

Gotta admit I don't know the others, but I don't watch ESPN outside of live sports. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

I noticed Eamonn Brennan on the list, didn't he once cover the MWC? If I recall correctly, we hated him; that despite being the MWC beat writer he played up the BCS teams and downplayed the accomplishments of the MWC.

7 minutes ago, raadsel said:

I noticed Eamonn Brennan on the list, didn't he once cover the MWC? If I recall correctly, we hated him; that despite being the MWC beat writer he played up the BCS teams and downplayed the accomplishments of the MWC.

Sugar Bear?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

11 minutes ago, raadsel said:

I believe he did. He was the "mid-major" reporter for basketball, and he didn't show much MWC love at all.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

Trent Dilfer got let go, too. He had pretty great name recognition and star power. I'm interested to see how many other high profile names will be released.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

11 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Ed Werner was solid but lacked flash and manufactured controversy, two specialties of Stephen A. Smith, the most annoying person on television.

Not suprised Ed Werder was let go, except that its a little odd timing w/ the draft one day away. 

58 minutes ago, WYO1016 said:

Here's a running list. Two of the victims are former MW beat writers; Brett McMurphy (Boise State) and Austin Ward (Wyoming).

A Running List of ESPN Layoffs

McMurphy never worked in Boise.  You are thinking of Brian Murphy.