Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

ESPN is laying off 100 employees today

31 minutes ago, RSF said:

I think ESPN has issues to deal with in the future, and those issues will not be solved overnight.  But a company that makes 2 billion a year in profits but sees dark times ahead is in trouble if they ignore those dark times and dont do something different.  And they are, but that takes time, and there are no guarantees.  I can stream ESPN to my TV right now.  Eventually that will be the norm.  But that day is not here yet.  The companies that are truly in trouble are not the content providers but the distributors.  They can be cut out completely.  Maybe the TV networks in general (not just ESPN by any stretch) can be as well....which is why they are all attempting to evolve.  People talk about Netflix/Amazon/Twitter streaming live sports.  That's where ESPN is headed with ESPN3.  Will they get there?  Who knows.

I'm trying to think this through. Who do you mean by "distributors"?

Just now, SFtoVA said:

I'm trying to think this through. Who do you mean by "distributors"?

Cable and Directv/Dish.  They've got some interest in the new paradigm too.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

18 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

So you are aware that Fresno hates SJSU, that SDSU is leaving the conference, and that Boise is financially raping the conference?  :D

Yes, all of those things.PLUS, CSU owns Denver.  I think this is fake news though

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

hate it when people lose their jobs, especially because it looks to be the result of the company overpaying for programming.  

There clearly aren't enough sports jobs to assimilate all of the people that ESPN is letting go.  Some of the better ones will find new positions, but I fear many of them will have to change careers.  

Mug should hire one or two just to keep those Aztec fans properly moderated ;)

The business model that was fueling conference expansion is looking about as good as Blockbuster's was ten years ago.

Something tells me that tSUDSf will remain undeterred.

#NoReason4FactsToStartMatteringNow #2026orBust

12667677.jpeg

ESPN had become an over bloated hose beast suckling on the tits of unknowning/uncaring/unwatching cable subscribers.  The market is making the correction now, and this is what should happen. The question is whether or not ESPN will change with the times or become Blockbuster Video of sports. 

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

10 minutes ago, Nickp1991 said:

How did Mark May survive the ESPN layoffs 

Mark May and Stephen A. Smith must have ingratiated themselves in a "special" way.

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

29 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

How can there an ESPN hit list and Bill Walton not be included?

Bill Walton is a gift from the Gods. Personally, I enjoy his laid back approach because he just tries to act like he's at the bar watching the game with the rest of us. Much more appealing than some guy who was memorizing the rosters and googling for random stories in his hotel room the night before and completely pretending, imo.

I don't watch basketball for the in depth analysis, I have the MWC Board for that.