Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My enthusiasm for unlv basketball is finally starting to return after Dave Rice killed it. Last season, was the first season I had almost no interest in the team. I didn't even know who all the players were. There just wasn't much desire there to get into it. Now, however, I'm starting to feel like my old self. The last ~ 36 hours have been great with the excitement of landing these kids.

Here's to hoping Marvin can put it all together. He surely can't do worse than Rice (I don't think he will come close to Rice's failings even if it is worst case scenario).

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

A stiff of a graduate transfer center from VCU just chose the lousy hoops program at TCU over SDSU. Also, two weeks ago there was significant speculation that Brian Dutcher would fill the vacant paid slot on our staff with former Aztec Aerick Sanders, who appears to be doing great work at NMSU. However, Sanders remains at NMSU and it's now speculated Dutch will simply promote graduate assistant Marvin Adams to that spot and presumably pay him quite a bit less.

At this point in time Aztecs basketball is as down as it's been in 10 years. I'll wait for a few months before getting depressed but right now it's not looking good.

You guys will be fine, I think Dutcher is going to be a pretty good coach. He can also recruit so I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe a down year next year but I think in 2018/19 you guys will be back fighting for a conference title. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

17 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Izundu was close to awful. Zero jump shot, couldn't make a FT to save his life and despite being a 7-footer, averaged only 3.3 rpg.

Basketball has always been cyclical insofar as what works and what doesn't. The reason is obviously that once somebody does something out of the ordinary and is successful with it, a bunch of other coaches do the same and eventually it becomes so pervasive that everybody learns to mitigate the effect and then it's less successful. For quite a while big men haven't been dominant in the college game. As an example, I read somewhere that the college player of the year hasn't been a true center since Shaq at LSU. Well, you can tell a change is afoot and big men are once again becoming an important part of most championship teams. Steve Fisher never focused his offense on having a true center. Instead his priority was long power forwards like Kawhi Leonard. You can't teach an old dog new tricks so that was never going to change and although I love the man, it was time for Fish to enjoy his retirement.

I kinda feel like Fisher was a product of the early UNLV style of play... UNLV never had a true 5, they ran 2 PF's. One was there for offense, and the other was there for blocks and put backs. The emphasis was on length and speed, rather than size/strength. Tark revolutionized bball with this system. Watching the 90's Michigan teams was just like watching UNLV.

I think the difference is now that the bigs are coming in more skilled today. They don't take 4 yrs to develop like they used to. I remember seeing Shaq in the Mack his Freshman yr and the dude was a beanpole that couldn't really do much except board and block. Today you get kids that are being trained as PG's when they are in elementary school and then sprout onto 5's that can pass, ball handle AND board and block. Anthony Davis was a real eye-opener and showed the impact of the new focus on development in the bigs.

Still, there are only a handful of these kids each class. Real true impact bigs. The odds are better to try to recruit length and speed. I don't think SDSU's problem is that they aren't getting a big. I think their problem is they really don't have an offensive game and never have. I think they suffer from that reputation.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If we only win 17-19 games next year, then Menzies will start feeling a little heat.

The only heat he's going to feel is from people like you, he's essentially turning the entire roster over again so it's going to take time to build chemistry. No trip to the Bahamas this year for that foundation to be built. The team will be much improved just by virtue of much better players. I have no idea who we play non conference but I know there is no Duke on there. The MWC will be down again as SDSU and New Mexico go through a transition but SDSU will always be a tough game and sweeping New Mexico is never easy. 

17-19 wins seems about right and a trip to the NIT is a fair goal, anything better than that an Marvin overachieved. We still have no bench, we don't exactly have great shooters and it's only year 2 of a rebuild. Let's slow down on this guy is going to feel heat if he only improves last years win total by 6-8 games.  

1 minute ago, just_chris said:

The only heat he's going to feel is from people like you, he's essentially turning the entire roster over again so it's going to take time to build chemistry. No trip to the Bahamas this year for that foundation to be built. The team will be much improved just by virtue of much better players. I have no idea who we play non conference but I know there is no Duke on there. The MWC will be down again as SDSU and New Mexico go through a transition but SDSU will always be a tough game and sweeping New Mexico is never easy. 

17-19 wins seems about right and a trip to the NIT is a fair goal, anything better than that an Marvin overachieved. We still have no bench, we don't exactly have great shooters and it's only year 2 of a rebuild. Let's slow down on this guy is going to feel heat if he only improves last years win total by 6-8 games.  

Thank you!!! That's what I've been thinking, but you put it into words Chris. Menzies has a whole new team coming in again. I hope for the last time. Let's go get .500 and get to middle of the pack in the MWC before we start talking 20+ wins.

Now if Menzies has similar results with this new superior talent (barring injuries), then there is definitely cause for concern and talks of Rice 2.0, but if he gets us to .500 and middle of the conference, I think that is a reasonable expectation. Even though it is technically year 2 of a rebuild it is more like two 1 year rebuilds.

5 minutes ago, just_chris said:

Yes.  I expect UNLV to be better, but that's the only expectation I have. 

Marvin is hitting it out of the park with recruiting however even high level freshmen are freshmen at the end of the day and it's a massive jump from playing against smaller weaker and less talented kids to playing against bigger, stronger, faster, smarter and more experienced young men.

15 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Thank you!!! That's what I've been thinking, but you put it into words Chris. Menzies has a whole new team coming in again. I hope for the last time. Let's go get .500 and get to middle of the pack in the MWC before we start talking 20+ wins.

Now if Menzies has similar results with this new superior talent (barring injuries), then there is definitely cause for concern and talks of Rice 2.0, but if he gets us to .500 and middle of the conference, I think that is a reasonable expectation. Even though it is technically year 2 of a rebuild it is more like two 1 year rebuilds.

This, if he wins 11/12 games barring injuries then yes I worry, if he wins 18 games next year then there is foundation for year 3 in which I will expect him to bring in a few more high level recruits. The goal should be upper half of the MWC, 16-19 wins and win at least one game in the MW Tournament. I never in a million years expected UNLV to be as bad as they were last year in my lifetime. We were at rock bottom, the man has to start with a foundation which you couldn't even call what he had last year a foundation. He had water with no cement or bricks. Nobody looks at last year as his 1s year, he was a poor bastard thrown into an impossible situation. I think we can look at 2017/18 as year 1 of the Menzies era. 

Man, cyclone fanatic is just too good. Most of the comments refer to hookers and blow being the reason he chose unlv. Then of course there are the money accusations being thrown out. Then the individuals who don't know the facts about mccoy signing and the relationship that is there. "They are cheating to be able to land a 5* and best juco." 

There are a couple sensible people on there. But I'd guess about 90-95% of them are complete retards stuck in their little bubble. I think @ph90702 would fit in perfectly over there. How about it ph? why don't you switch message boards and go be with people that are like you? 

Please and thank you.

"I'm bitter about this, so I wish him the worse, but not injury, I just hope he suck and not produce what they think he will provide them with. I hope UNLV continues to suck too, what a cheating sh!t of a program. I'm as mad as f@ck, I just wanna go and take a dump(Sh!t) on their prostitute infested school and walk away. I am very mad and I will not pretend to to wish him or UNLV any success, I am not a nice person and that's just that."

Here's a gem: "When Avon Barksdale recruited the JC kid to play ball for the West Side projects on The Wire, the handler got only $5000. I guess that was for just one game so 6 figures seems about right."

Comparing real life recruiting to a tv show :lol:

Just now, toonkee said:

"I'm bitter about this, so I wish him the worse, but not injury, I just hope he suck and not produce what they think he will provide them with. I hope UNLV continues to suck too, what a cheating sh!t of a program. I'm as mad as f@ck, I just wanna go and take a dump(Sh!t) on their prostitute infested school and walk away. I am very mad and I will not pretend to to wish him or UNLV any success, I am not a nice person and that's just that."

Love it.

Guest RoscoesDad
4 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Man, cyclone fanatic is just too good. Most of the comments refer to hookers and blow being the reason he chose unlv. Then of course there are the money accusations being thrown out. Then the individuals who don't know the facts about mccoy signing and the relationship that is there. "They are cheating to be able to land a 5* and best juco." 

There are a couple sensible people on there. But I'd guess about 90-95% of them are complete retards stuck in their little bubble. I think @ph90702 would fit in perfectly over there. How about it ph? why don't you switch message boards and go be with people that are like you? 

Please and thank you.

They live in bum+++++ Iowa. So by default, they can't be too bright.   I'd be miserable myself if I lived in that god forsaken wasteland.  

They're saying we play in front of hundreds and they used last year's attendance to prove their point.

We kicked their ass in a 3/4 full T&M just a few years ago, which still had more people than their building even holds.  

"These guys (UNLV) are bringing in a Kansas/Kentucky type recruiting class. I'm guessing they will have just as much success right? NOT. It's tough to be good when all you bring in are a bunch of guys that want to party every night on the strip, get wasted, and not care about basketball at all."

26 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Please and thank you.

ES and FY.

43 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

"These guys (UNLV) are bringing in a Kansas/Kentucky type recruiting class. I'm guessing they will have just as much success right? NOT. It's tough to be good when all you bring in are a bunch of guys that want to party every night on the strip, get wasted, and not care about basketball at all."

Because this would not happen in Ames, Lawrence, Lexington or anywhere the hell else.  The EF0's are just being dunces now.

59 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

They live in bum+++++ Iowa. So by default, they can't be too bright.   I'd be miserable myself if I lived in that god forsaken wasteland.  

Image result for the stand images

Maybe ISU fans believe this was a work of non-fiction.

2 hours ago, just_chris said:

I don't think that'll be the case. I think it'll be pretty deep. Maybe not the top heavy teams of the past, but the conference strength as a whole should be up. 

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

At least he is self-aware... something to be said for that...