Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

11 minutes ago, mundyc3 said:

This doesn't include Beck, Green, Smith either.

The specific ranking doesn't matter.  What matters is that we have the talent to compete nationally. It pained me to hear Dick Vitale say that we have limited talent when we play Duke.

26 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

I think he is.  That is ok.  He got us out of a hole if you know what I'm talking about.  He will add a lot of eyes to MWC games and he will draw future interest from good players.  But, I'm one of those people that say if you can get the money go for it.  I would love for him to stay as it only helps the program but, that's no longer the world we live in.  Show me the money.

I'd say he's 100% one and done barring injury.

McCoy is better than Zimm at this point. He's bigger and stronger in the post and rebounding. Can hit the shot just as good as ZImm.

Plus McCoy is playing for Menzies and Zimm was playing for Rice. Big difference there.

McCoy almost averaged 20 and 20 has a HS sophomore. While D1 is a huge jump, he's gonna be an immediate guy like Bennett was.

Zimm gave us 12 and 8.

Bennett gave us 16 and 8.

I think we see McCoy as a 15 and 10 guy. Maybe even better.

Also him being one and done will only help UNLV recruiting wise.

I laugh when people call Anthony Bennett a bust and thinks that makes UNLV look bad....UNLV got a player #1 overall in the NBA draft. That's all that matters, This school got him to that point.

McCoy has a chance to be a lottery pick and that will help UNLV recruiting more 5 star talent.

With Hardy and some others being 4 year guys...Menzies is having good balance too. Not the same as Rice calling 4-stars one and dones and having zero plan past the current year.

Excited to see how the years unfold.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

50 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Said it for years, Dave Rice was not a master recruiter.

LAS VEGAS and UNLV brand is what brought in the recruits. It killed me to see people afraid to fire Rice because they thought he was the draw bringing in recruits to UNLV.

Disagree. CDR had a pitch and it was effective. He would basically state that he would lay out a roadmap and plan to get you to the NBA. It was highly effective. Unfortunately he built a team of individuals and then plagued by injuries and poor coaching. He's a good man. Just not HC material yet. 

2 minutes ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

Disagree. CDR had a pitch and it was effective. He would basically state that he would lay out a roadmap and plan to get you to the NBA. It was highly effective. Unfortunately he built a team of individuals and then plagued by injuries and poor coaching. He's a good man. Just not HC material yet. 

His point was that people thought that only Rice could do that. Which is why we were held hostage by recruits for a couple years.

Menzies debunks that myth. Rice was a great recruiter, but it wasn't some impossible feat. UNLV has a lot to offer D1 basketball players as a program.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 minutes ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

Correct. Rebel18 also forgets that CDR was recruiting at a high level not seen since Tark. Getting McDonald All-Americans and other 4*-5* out the wazoo wasn't happening post-Tark until Rice arrived. 

Bayno, Spoonhour, and Kruger to an extent were all disappointing recruiters because Rebel18 is right about selling the UNLV brand, its recognizable and has a history. 

19 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

So I guess Dembele is going to be redshirting? Diong came here so he could play, so I doubt he'd accept a redshirt, but Dembele taking another year and having three years of sound play left may be a good thing for him. 

He's going to be 21 next year, so I don't think he redshirts.  We'll see though.

12 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

We need a scoring guard like Hardy more than Juiston imo.  If we could get both that would be unreal. 

I'm late to the party but how about both ? :shots:

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Maybe the best part is watching the meltdown again on the Iowa St board, they just don't get it. They think you have to be paying kids to want to chose Vegas over Ames. There are a handful of cities in this conference I'd take over f*cking Ames. 

They're all idiots, they think UNLV has nothing to offer, they think you have to play in a big conference to be relevant (Butler, Wichita, VCU, Gonzaga, St Mary's, Dayton and Rhode Island all prove them wrong) they think UNLV doesn't have any history (how many FF banners hang in Ames) and they shit on any kid who goes to a school not named Iowa St. 

2 minutes ago, just_chris said:

Maybe the best part is watching the meltdown again on the Iowa St board, they just don't get it. They think you have to be paying kids to want to chose Vegas over Ames. There are a handful of cities in this conference I'd take over f*cking Ames. 

I think every MWC city with the exception of Reno and Fresno. 

My two concerns are: (1) who is (reliably) taking 3s for this team besides Mooring? and (2) what's the plan with getting Morgan minutes? 

Not that I would choose not to be in this situation, but these strike me as the primary concerns with the roster at this point. 

38 minutes ago, just_chris said:

They're all idiots, they think UNLV has nothing to offer, they think you have to play in a big conference to be relevant (Butler, Wichita, VCU, Gonzaga, St Mary's, Dayton and Rhode Island all prove them wrong) they think UNLV doesn't have any history (how many FF banners hang in Ames) and they shit on any kid who goes to a school not named Iowa St. 

Just remember, it's Iowa. After you remember that it's F***ing Iowa, you can proceed to laugh and think about our legacy, facilities, location, etc

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

"Did Vaughn ever get to the NBA?

**** UNLV."

You'd think those dumb bastards would know we have more players in the NBA then they do.... I guess when you win 20-25 games every year and fail to advance to the Sweet 16 year in and year out you'd be bitter 

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

I'd say he's 100% one and done barring injury.

McCoy is better than Zimm at this point. He's bigger and stronger in the post and rebounding. Can hit the shot just as good as ZImm.

Plus McCoy is playing for Menzies and Zimm was playing for Rice. Big difference there.

McCoy almost averaged 20 and 20 has a HS sophomore. While D1 is a huge jump, he's gonna be an immediate guy like Bennett was.

Zimm gave us 12 and 8.

Bennett gave us 16 and 8.

I think we see McCoy as a 15 and 10 guy. Maybe even better.

Also him being one and done will only help UNLV recruiting wise.

I laugh when people call Anthony Bennett a bust and thinks that makes UNLV look bad....UNLV got a player #1 overall in the NBA draft. That's all that matters, This school got him to that point.

McCoy has a chance to be a lottery pick and that will help UNLV recruiting more 5 star talent.

With Hardy and some others being 4 year guys...Menzies is having good balance too. Not the same as Rice calling 4-stars one and dones and having zero plan past the current year.

Excited to see how the years unfold.

Yup.... Anthony Bennett chose not to work hard, not UNLV 

1 hour ago, NOTGREATBOB! said:

My two concerns are: (1) who is (reliably) taking 3s for this team besides Mooring? and (2) what's the plan with getting Morgan minutes? 

Not that I would choose not to be in this situation, but these strike me as the primary concerns with the roster at this point. 

My primary concern is the lack of guards.  With the bigs, there will be redshirts.

Hopefully, this means I can retire this meme from last year.

Dead UNLV.jpg