Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SJSUMFA2013

I'm doing something I swore I would never do

I debated whether to post this here, but if ph can make threads about his career anxiety, then so can I. 

In a few months, I will be leaving my adopted home in the bay area and returning to the belly of the beast: Orange County, California. 7 years ago, I left and vowed never to go back, but in a twist of fate, I have been offered what I can only describe as a dream job located right in my hometown. I gotta take it.

the good news, of course, is that those of you who have never been here can stop giving me shit for living in Oakland. The bad news is that sjsu football attendance will decline by 20%. 

22 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

the good news, of course, is that those of you who have never been here can stop giving me shit for living in Oakland. The bad news is that sjsu football attendance will decline by 20%. 

No worries, with new head coach Jeff Tedford, there will be more Fresno fans travelling to Spartan Stadium.  Net-net over a two year period, paid attendance and butts in seats will increase.

BTW, this belongs on the Main board :-)

110926run_defense710.jpg

36 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I debated whether to post this here, but if ph can make threads about his career anxiety, then so can I. 

In a few months, I will be leaving my adopted home in the bay area and returning to the belly of the beast: Orange County, California. 7 years ago, I left and vowed never to go back, but in a twist of fate, I have been offered what I can only describe as a dream job located right in my hometown. I gotta take it.

In my humble opinion, well over 50% of one's job satisfaction is the community you live in.  If you don't like the community, you're not going to like the job.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Am I to assume from your screen name that you hold a MFA?  If so, what constitutes a "dream" job? Teaching? Curating? Barista? ( I kid...sort of..)

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Am I to assume from your screen name that you hold a MFA?  If so, what constitutes a "dream" job? Teaching? Curating? Barista? ( I kid...sort of..)

Tenure-track prof at a community college that pays well enough that I don't have to be a barista on the side.

23 minutes ago, Puro Pinche Aztecs said:

I hope you're white. 

Or if you're a Mexican, you at least know how to stay in your lane.

I'd say don't even think about it if you're black, but since you said you grew up there, no need!

Whiteboy here...but Orange County has changed demographically, or so I've been told.

4 hours ago, pokebball said:

In my humble opinion, well over 50% of one's job satisfaction is the community you live in.  If you don't like the community, you're not going to like the job.

You're right of course but my disdain for the oc stemmed largely from a youthful rebellious streak...I think.

25 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Tenure-track prof at a community college that pays well enough that I don't have to be a barista on the side.

Congratulations, you have to move for that.  Besides, OC isn't just one place. It's pretty diverse nowadays.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, easybronc said:

You live in Oakland and you're worried about moving?

This is what I'm talking about. I'm actually going to miss Oakland. We've been here 4 years and are trying to enjoy the hell out of it (and the rest of NorCal) while we can. All the perks of living in a major city without the snobs. I know it has a reputation for crime, but that's really contained to specific neighborhoods, and unless you're buying crack, there's no reason to go over there. 

7 hours ago, pokebball said:

I would say it's about fifty fifty.

4 hours ago, Puro Pinche Aztecs said:

I hope you're white. 

Or if you're a Mexican, you at least know how to stay in your lane.

I'd say don't even think about it if you're black, but since you said you grew up there, no need!

Because minorities  are so rare in Orange County?  Who is this dumb sock?

8 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Orange County has some very nice place$ to live if you can afford them. Irvine is one of the safest cities in America. San Clemente is my personal favorite, love that old school coastal vibe. B) And there's richy rich Newport Beach. Too pretentious for my tastes, and definitely out of my price range. 

1 hour ago, crixus said:

Orange County has some very nice place$ to live if you can afford them. Irvine is one of the safest cities in America. San Clemente is my personal favorite, love that old school coastal vibe. B) And there's richy rich Newport Beach. Too pretentious for my tastes, and definitely out of my price range. 

I won't say exactly where in the oc I'll be (I'm a public employee and psychos read this board) but I'll be away from the beaches. Compared to the Bay Area, home prices are downright reasonable.

16 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I won't say exactly where in the oc I'll be (I'm a public employee and psychos read this board) but I'll be away from the beaches. Compared to the Bay Area, home prices are downright reasonable.

Yes, I remember in the past you posted that you teach at a Community College. Good luck behind the Orange Curtain.

10 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Congrats man, that's great! It's always good to change up your job now and then. That said, and sorry to be a debbie downer, but "dream jobs" are usually like "dream chicks" in that you'll eventually grow tired of getting fvcked by them. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Because minorities  are so rare in Orange County?  Who is this dumb sock?

99% chance it's 8588's sock

1% chance that it's that tSUDSf who went full libtard after the election. I can't remember his name right now.

#TDS

12667677.jpeg

40 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Congrats man, that's great! It's always good to change up your job now and then. That said, and sorry to be a debbie downer, but "dream jobs" are usually like "dream chicks" in that you'll eventually grow tired of getting fvcked by them. 

I've been fvcking my dream chick for 9 years now, and yeah, getting a little stale.