Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Entire US Senate to be briefed on North Korea

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

I just can't see it, but maybe I'm wrong, don't think so though.

South Korea and Japan would essentially have vetos over Sustained US action.  Without them allowing us to fly out of their countries and airspace we couldn't do much more than a few days of bombs and tomahawks.

My concern is I think we are overestimating China's leverage with North Korea, which will make descalating this tricky.

I don't think China has much leverage at all.

The North Korean government has just one guy making decisions and maybe a few advisors.  It is a very small group benefitting from the regime and they do not care if the rest of their country starves.  All they care about is their own comfort and safety.  Pretty hard to deal with this group and hundreds of thousands if not millions of people could die very quickly if you make a mistake.

China says it will not respond militarily to a surgical strike on North Korea's nuclear facility:

"Chinese state-run newspaper said Saturday that China would not engage militarily if the US conducted a surgical strike on North Korea’s nuclear facility, noting it would only resort to diplomatic channels to oppose such a move.

Beijing’s position was stated in an editorial in the state-run Global Times, a tabloid controlled by China’s Communist Party.

“If Pyongyang’s unwavering pursuit of its nuclear program continues and Washington launches a military attack on North Korea’s nuclear facilities as a result, Beijing should oppose the move by diplomatic channels, rather than get involved through military action,” Joongang Daily translated the editorial as saying."

http://www.atimes.com/article/global-times-china-accept-surgical-strike-north-korea/

10 hours ago, just_chris said:

What I fail to grasp is how this self proclaimed great dealer has yet to approach Pyongyang for discussions or some type of summit to try and ease tensions. Only idiots want war, if you at least try diplomacy and it doesn't work you can say you tried. 

Far be it for me to be a Trump apologist but so far, I think he's creating and handling this situation very well from a negotiation standpoint. Push, push, push, until North Korea reaches out for a diplomatic solution; then you're negotiating from a position of strength.

Also, although our leaders and media often portray them as such, I think it's a mistake to dismiss Kim and the NK power elite as "crazy"; they will always do what they feel they must in order to maintain their positions. As brutal as many of their decisions seem to us, the family has maintained power for more than 60 years; really quite impressive.

45 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Far be it for me to be a Trump apologist but so far, I think he's creating and handling this situation very well from a negotiation standpoint. Push, push, push, until North Korea reaches out for a diplomatic solution; then you're negotiating from a position of strength.

Also, although our leaders and media often portray them as such, I think it's a mistake to dismiss Kim and the NK power elite as "crazy"; they will always do what they feel they must in order to maintain their positions. As brutal as many of their decisions seem to us, the family has maintained power for more than 60 years; really quite impressive.

I don't think they are crazy, in fact I think they are smart to pursue nuclear and missile technology.

It is dangerous in the short term but once they achieve any measured ability to deliver a warhead to even just Seoul, they will be safer then any other tin pot dictator regime in history.    

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

All hail the Korean Borgia's.

Trump is such a nob:

"South Korea's government has brushed aside US President Donald Trump's suggestion that it should pay for a $1bn missile defence system the two allies are installing in South Korea to guard against threats from North Korea.

'I informed South Korea it would be appropriate if they paid. It's a billion-dollar system,' Trump said in an interview with the Reuters news agency.

'It's phenomenal. It's the most incredible equipment you've ever seen - shoots missiles right out of the sky," said Trump. "And it protects them and I want to protect them. We're going to protect them. But they should pay for that, and they understand that.'

Seoul retorted that under the Status of Forces Agreement that governs the US military presence in the country, South Korea would provide the THAAD site and infrastructure while the US would pay to deploy and operate it."

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

6 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Trump is such a nob:

"South Korea's government has brushed aside US President Donald Trump's suggestion that it should pay for a $1bn missile defence system the two allies are installing in South Korea to guard against threats from North Korea.

'I informed South Korea it would be appropriate if they paid. It's a billion-dollar system,' Trump said in an interview with the Reuters news agency.

'It's phenomenal. It's the most incredible equipment you've ever seen - shoots missiles right out of the sky," said Trump. "And it protects them and I want to protect them. We're going to protect them. But they should pay for that, and they understand that.'

Seoul retorted that under the Status of Forces Agreement that governs the US military presence in the country, South Korea would provide the THAAD site and infrastructure while the US would pay to deploy and operate it."

Plus, we're not giving them a THAAD system.  We've deploying one of our THAAD units.  What the hell is he talking about?  

7 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Trump is such a nob:

I'm not sure why this is upsetting. It indicates to me that he's thinking about costs. Whether or not anything actually becomes of it, South Korea ALSO now understands that the president is thinking about how much their defense is costing the US.  Until 20-25 years or so ago it didn't matter, SK was too poor to meaningfully contribute and we thought that preserving their country as part of our sphere of influence in the region was important  We still think keeping SK free is important and it's because of that that they are no longer poor.  The dynamic has changed. They can afford to contribute more.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Guest #1Stunner
On 4/25/2017 at 1:00 AM, bluerules009 said:

I think the last 25 years and Clinton, Bush and Obama have proven diplomacy don't work with this group of criminals.

Obama's destruction of America's credibility.  No one will trust America on the issue of nuclear weapons after the double cross we did to Gaddafi.

Combined with North Korea's willingness to drive a hard bargain for food aid and then ignore it.  Plus North Korea's repeated statements that they think nuclear weapons are their only safety from attack.

I think 20+ years is long enough to come to the conclusion North Korean leaders are serious and not going to stop the process of becoming a nuclear threat to the entire world.

We have to decide now whether to allow that, or fight.  I don't know the right decision, but this is the first real threat to america since the cold war.

Well said.

5 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

I'm not sure why this is upsetting. It indicates to me that he's thinking about costs. Whether or not anything actually becomes of it, South Korea ALSO now understands that the president is thinking about how much their defense is costing the US.  Until 20-25 years or so ago it didn't matter, SK was too poor to meaningfully contribute and we thought that preserving their country as part of our sphere of influence in the region was important  We still think keeping SK free is important and it's because of that that they are no longer poor.  The dynamic has changed. They can afford to contribute more.

They do pay, and Japan pays even more.  But his language is so poorly constructed on these things, that he looks like he doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

If we want ROK to pay more of the overall  basing costs, fine, there is probably an argument to be made for that.  But it has nothing to do with a THAAD deployment.  If we built an Aegis ashore in South Korea, and turned it over to them, then they should damn well pay, and they would be expected to.  But this is a deployment.