Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

CSU spring game

The RAMS ended spring camp with an athletics festival on Saturday.  There was a womens softball game against UNLV, a womens soccer match against CSU Pueblo, The RAM Invitational track meet against multiple schools, and finally the Spring Green and Gold game.  Lacking a stadium, the FB game was played on the soccer field which is actually just a patch of grass near the lagoon with some hills next to it.  Poke fans will love that there wasn't enough room for a full field, so the scrimmage was held on a 90 yd FB field.

I'll attach the article for anybody who might be interested.

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports/ci_30939958/everybody-wins-at-colorado-state-football-spring-game

Some highlights though...We're freaking thin and undersized on the D-Line, and most of our O-Line depth sat out due to injury.  We have a new reciever who won't be eligible till next year (transfer from Tennessee) but makes Gallup look like a HS player, and that's not a Junkyesque evaluation.  He really is that good.

We knew that this was going to be a tough spring for the defense going in, so I was pleasantly surprised that they held the offense below their 2016 yards per play average.  We return pretty much the whole offense from 2016.

It wasn't a game, it was a scrimmage.  Coach said we didn't have enough bodies to make it a real game.  Besides, 90 yard field.  I will say this, it was cool to walk all over campus with my son to check out each of the sporting events, and then to just sit in the grass on a hill to watch the scrimmage.  These things should be played in the stadium, but for one year it was really cool.  New stadium was only a couple blocks away, so we wandered down there.  DAMN!!  The pictures do not do it justice.

Thanks HB, I's wondering when a CSU fan would post about the Spring wrap-up.  The key for most non-CSU fans to understand is that our D will get back healthy about 6 former Starters (3 DL, 2 DB's, 1 LB) , +  2 or 3 more Backups from injuries & surgeries incurred during the Winter.  And our OL will get another 3-4 guys back from injuries incurred in the Spring that required no surgeries.  Plus 2 TE's as well.

The RAMs should be fully man'd with starting experience & good depth at every position in '17 except TE & NT.  Interesting time for our RAMs... put up or shut-up >>> talking about our Coaching Staff now.  Bobo & crew have some key Improvements to show re player development, early season preparation (slow starts last 2 years), and Game-Day play calling & managment of the game.

BTW -- the MWC fans have been really cranky about several teams Spring Reports (like Wyo's, SJSU's, UNM's, USU & I think UHa's).  What's the cause of the major need to tear at each other's fan-based evals of each other's teams??  It makes little reason to me.  I want each of our MWC teams to be the best they can possibly be (and my team as well)... and let the best Team Win -- so long as it's mine 90% of the time!   :) 

6 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Thanks HB, I's wondering when a CSU fan would post about the Spring wrap-up.  The key for most non-CSU fans to understand is that our D will get back healthy about 6 former Starters (3 DL, 2 DB's, 1 LB) , +  2 or 3 more Backups from injuries & surgeries incurred during the Winter.  And our OL will get another 3-4 guys back from injuries incurred in the Spring that required no surgeries.  Plus 2 TE's as well.

The RAMs should be fully man'd with starting experience & good depth at every position in '17 except TE & NT.  Interesting time for our RAMs... put up or shut-up >>> talking about our Coaching Staff now.  Bobo & crew have some key Improvements to show re player development, early season preparation (slow starts last 2 years), and Game-Day play calling & managment of the game.

BTW -- the MWC fans have been really cranky about several teams Spring Reports (like Wyo's, SJSU's, UNM's, USU & I think UHa's).  What's the cause of the major need to tear at each other's fan-based evals of each other's teams??  It makes little reason to me.  I want each of our MWC teams to be the best they can possibly be (and my team as well)... and let the best Team Win -- so long as it's mine 90% of the time!   :) 

Evaluation is one thing... it's the hyperbole that gets attacked. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

Evaluation is one thing... it's the hyperbole that gets attacked. 

Agree about the hyperbole, but that comes with spring.  It's all fun.

The truth is that trying to evaluate a FB team whether HS, College, or Pro based on 15 spring practices is a hopeless endeavor.  In fact, if your lucky almost all of your starters are out with minor injuries and you get to build depth.  

I love hearing all of the excitement, and predictions from every team that they will contend for the conference championship.  Two cool things about spring...hope springs eternal, and while fans may age, their expectations always remain youthful.  That's part of why college football is so much better than pro.

Fans = Fanatics... lots of Hope & Hype involved in them there loonies -- myself gladly being 1.  

I for 1 am glad for & proud of Wyo's resurgence under Bohl's.  I hope they beat the tar outta the Ducks, and every other OOC opponent.  Same goes for the Broncos, Falcons, Lobos, Aztecs (what they did to UHo was awesome!) and every other MWC team that kicks butt in OOC & w/i the MWC.  The objective is for each of our teams to IMPROVE as much as their skills & Coaching will allow.  I have faith in my RAMs to improve some, and I HOPE all of our MWC cousins can & will do the same.

Rocky, Calhoun & Bohls are proven to be very fine resoursceful Coaches.  Harsin & Bobo & Davie have shown some fine abilities, but they can do better IMHO.  So have Rolo & Sanchez.  Here's hoping the others & the newbies prove themselves to be genius.  Go MWC!!!!!!!!!!!    

1 minute ago, RAMification said:

Fans = Fanatics... lots of Hope & Hype involved in them there loonies -- myself gladly being 1.  

I for 1 am glad for & proud of Wyo's resurgence under Bohl's.  I hope they beat the tar outta the Ducks, and every other OOC opponent.  Same goes for the Broncos, Falcons, Lobos, Aztecs (what they did to UHo was awesome!) and every other MWC team that kicks butt in OOC & w/i the MWC.  The objective is for each of our teams to IMPROVE as much as their skills & Coaching will allow.  I have faith in my RAMs to improve some, and I HOPE all of our MWC cousins can & will do the same.

Rocky, Calhoun & Bohls are proven to be very fine resoursceful Coaches.  Harsin & Bobo & Davie have shown some fine abilities, but they can do better IMHO.  So have Rolo & Sanchez.  Here's hoping the others & the newbies prove themselves to be genius.  Go MWC!!!!!!!!!!!    

Let's get right to the point.  The rest of the conference is phucked.  Not even at our B12 eligible level.  The SEC Mtn is the hottest thing on the planet, and we're about to own it because...well, just because.  End of story

8 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Let's get right to the point.  The rest of the conference is phucked.  Not even at our B12 eligible level.  The SEC Mtn is the hottest thing on the planet, and we're about to own it because...well, just because.  End of story

Ha-ha-ha....  I love the MWC.  I wanna see us win every OOC game in '17, and our Rams win the MWC CHampionship.  And see your happy ewe bounce along the sidelines of a NY's Bowl.

9 hours ago, Headbutt said:

COming off the Spring game, I have CSU representing the MWC in the Super Bowl.