Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

State of Wyoming's average age is rapidly getting older.

14 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

OK, this is probably the most honest, interesting effort someone has spent looking at this.  Thanks for the data.

It's interesting that Montana has 2 State Universities (to Wyoming's 1), both of which have larger enrollments.  Same with a small State, North Dakota.  All 4 are Big Sky schools.

Anyone know if Wyoming is planning to expand enrollment up to at least 25,000 students?  Why is the University of Wyoming currently struggling, with only 14,000 total students?  

Seems like Wyoming's highest priority should be attracting more young people to the State.  Why isn't Wyoming doing this through a larger University enrollment??  They need more youth in the State, not to mention badly needing a growing State population and TV market.  State is shrinking Right now.  They are keeping enrollment tiny, at Big Sky levels.  This is a mistake.

UW's struggling? 

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Guest #1Stunner
2 hours ago, Fido said:

It would be very interesting to see what the enrollment, demographics, and costs are for Wyoming vs. Colorado State since both schools are in relatively close proximity to each other.  What changes could be made to make UW more competitive for students?

Wyoming should focus on a major expansion of the University of Wyoming...It's their only hope.  

Their State depends on attracting more young people, and diversifying the economy beyond oil, gas, and mining.  They need entrepreneurs, and a tech sector.  Cheyenne needs to be developed, as it's the only "major" City in Wyoming.

What can Wyoming do?

Immediately expand the University of Wyoming to 25,000 enrolled students.  The current 12,000 is too tiny, Big Sky caliber, and not good enough.   Yes, I know that the University only has 8,000 Wyoming kids.... So, then liberally give in-state tuition to out-of-state kids.  Get the enrollment up ASAP.   They need to focus on affordable tuition, and advertise heavily.   Otherwise, half the State population will soon be over 60 years old.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

My Mormon buddy in St. George couldn't be married in the temple there because his fiance wasn't born into the Church like he was or some such BS.

Gotta wonder if it would have been different had the roles been reversed.

My cousin and his girlfriend became Mormons before getting married and then got married in the Salt Lake Temple.  The parents, who were not Mormon, were not allowed to attend the actual wedding ceremony.

Guest Dr. Dre
5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Oh the irony

nothing ironic about it. SDSU HAS options. WHYome doesn't. And you know its true. Sorry. 

14 hours ago, Rampage said:

Look at the data:

1 Cheyenne Laramie 60,096

2 Casper Natrona 55,988

3 Laramie Albany 31,312

Wyoming needs to open up satellite campuses in Cheyenne and Casper like CSU has in Denver. Setup programs with community colleges in the state to enable easy transfers to UW. CSU and CU have a lot of these programs type programs. CU has a campus on the western slope for engineering in Grand Junction. KSU offers instate tuition for students in counties in Colorado near their border. There is a lot Wyoming could do, but I do not think they have the leadership to do it. CSU will hit 40,000 students by 2025. It is at 33,198 now.

Yeah, okay. Meanwhile YOUR "leadership" has CSEwe's endowment (which is less than 2/3 of Wyoming's) jacked to the tits....

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, RamSack said:

My cousin and his girlfriend became Mormons before getting married and then got married in the Salt Lake Temple.  The parents, who were not Mormon, were not allowed to attend the actual wedding ceremony.

Your cousins should have simply had a traditional civil marriage, where all family could attend.  Then afterwards, could have done their religious wedding vows in the Temple.  

But it was their choice how to proceed, of course.

2 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Thanks, I'll bet that's actually what I was told. None of the members of my friend's now wife converted to LDS so the wedding probably wasn't scheduled there out of respect to them. And yours truly and others who were in the wedding. So despite being a lifelong Mormon, my friend wasn't married in an LDS temple.

God organized religion can be stoopid.

Boom goes the dynamite.

15 hours ago, Rampage said:

Look at the data:

1 Cheyenne Laramie 60,096

2 Casper Natrona 55,988

3 Laramie Albany 31,312

Wyoming needs to open up satellite campuses in Cheyenne and Casper like CSU has in Denver. Setup programs with community colleges in the state to enable easy transfers to UW. CSU and CU have a lot of these programs type programs. CU has a campus on the western slope for engineering in Grand Junction. KSU offers instate tuition for students in counties in Colorado near their border. There is a lot Wyoming could do, but I do not think they have the leadership to do it. CSU will hit 40,000 students by 2025. It is at 33,198 now.

Wyoming already has UW-Casper open. A satellite campus in Cheyenne makes zero sense, it's half an hour away. 

Wyoming's out of state tuition for CO residents is already less than CO's in state tuition. Wyoming already heavily draws from Colorado.

I think maybe you should actually know something about what Wyoming is and has been doing before you say that there is a lot Wyoming could do. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Thanks, I'll bet that's actually what I was told. None of the members of my friend's now wife converted to LDS so the wedding probably wasn't scheduled there out of respect to them. And yours truly and others who were in the wedding. So despite being a lifelong Mormon, my friend wasn't married in an LDS temple.

God organized religion can be stoopid.

Not to turn this into a discussion on religion, but converts to Mormonism can be married in a Mormon temple. However, they have to be Mormon for at least a year before they can be married in the temple. If your friend's wife converted to Mormonism recently, that may be the reason she couldn't be married in the temple. Or they may have decided to be married outside the temple so that his wife's family could attend. I've never understood why the Mormon Church doesn't allow people in the U.S. to be married in the temple after getting a civil marriage given that this is allowed in some other countries. (Well, you can get married in the temple after a civil marriage, but you have to wait a year. In Brazil, for example, there is no such restriction.) But whatever.

Guest Dr. Dre
16 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

I've never understood why the Mormon Church doesn't allow people in the U.S. to be married in the temple after getting a civil marriage 

I can answer that. Because most of what you freaks do, and believe, is whack

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

I think maybe you should actually know something about what Wyoming is and has been doing before you say that there is a lot Wyoming could do. 

Now what's the fun in that? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

3 hours ago, cherrycrush said:

This is a service that can bring jobs to Wyoming.  I think there is a general one called Lift Line.  But I think they could get a service catered for all Wyoming sports events to target these people.  

I think if they added Bingo or at least some kino play during halftime at games.  They could sell that thing out every game. At least this could generate more cash flow.  

Another idea I have is 50 cent hot dog night.  People go crazy for that stuff.  

You might have something here. Utah started a video game college team with scholarships. Maybe the Wyoming can get a NCAA bingo college team started?

A lot of us born and raised in Wyoming leave the state. This isn't news really, it's how it was before too, nothing has changed. Wyoming has always been a boom/bust state.

I think there were some studies a few years ago that showed Wyoming has the largest fan base of the entire MWC besides Boise?

When you talk TV contracts and what not, in my mind, that doesn't matter. I hope they throw that out and let us stream games, which would direct more money to UW. Significantly more of us are outside the state than actually live there, which is how it's always been.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Wyoming should focus on a major expansion of the University of Wyoming...It's their only hope.  

Their State depends on attracting more young people, and diversifying the economy beyond oil, gas, and mining.  They need entrepreneurs, and a tech sector.  Cheyenne needs to be developed, as it's the only "major" City in Wyoming.

What can Wyoming do?

Immediately expand the University of Wyoming to 25,000 enrolled students.  The current 12,000 is too tiny, Big Sky caliber, and not good enough.   Yes, I know that the University only has 8,000 Wyoming kids.... So, then liberally give in-state tuition to out-of-state kids.  Get the enrollment up ASAP.   They need to focus on affordable tuition, and advertise heavily.   Otherwise, half the State population will soon be over 60 years old.

Wyoming offers in-state tuition to Colorado students who meet a certain GPA level.

5 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

...I've never understood why the Mormon Church doesn't allow people in the U.S. to be married in the temple after getting a civil marriage given that this is allowed in some other countries. (Well, you can get married in the temple after a civil marriage, but you have to wait a year. In Brazil, for example, there is no such restriction.) But whatever.

I've wondered the same thing but in the reading up that I've done it makes a bit of sense in this way.  The church wants its members to be married in the temple and encourage them to do so.  In the US, marriages performed in the temple are 1) a sealing in accordance with church doctrine and 2) recognized by the government.  In fact, in many states a marriage MUST be performed by a religious leader (with a few exceptions).  (This led to the emergence of groups like the Universal Life church granting clergy status to those who click a button on the internet agreeing with their stated belief so that they could marry someone.)  In many other countries, marriage is a status recognized by the government rather than a religious ceremony.  In compliance with governmental requirements, couples might be required to be civilly married.  If they were sealed first, they would not be in compliance with local laws and not be "legally" married--which the church would not ask or condone.  Likewise, those wishing to join the LDS Church must first be legally and lawfully married.

18 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Your cousins should have simply had a traditional civil marriage, where all family could attend.  Then afterwards, could have done their religious wedding vows in the Temple.  

But it was their choice how to proceed, of course.

Or the Mormon Church could just open their doors and allow parents (and other loved ones) to share one of the biggest moments of their children's lives.  

1 minute ago, RamSack said:

Or the Mormon Church could just open their doors and allow parents (and other loved ones) to share one of the biggest moments of their children's lives.  

Not Mormon (obviously), but there seem to be plenty of other ways to handle it.

The bride/groom can do their deal in the temple, then have a ceremony after wherever they want, with whoever they want.

The mormons aren't going to open their working temple (I understand they give public tours before the temple is consecrated or circumcised or whatever) to a bunch of people. I think they have some small portions open to mormons who don't have the recommendation slip to do their baptisms and things like that, but just throwing open the doors would be a whole different deal. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok