Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Have any prominent leaders of the Democratic party condemned Antifa and BAMN

20 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Eh I have. A couple times. You just don't go to as weird a places on the internet as I do. There's more than you would think but they tend to be losers irl.

Well if you go to weird places on the internet you can find people who claim they live on air and don't need food.

Just because it exists on the internet doesn't convince me there is any kind or widespread presence.

3 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

I imagine they enforce the rule on everyone. Do they have KKK marches on campus? I haven't ever heard of one.

I guess they just hang out in the labs now...

https://twitter.com/PresidentMazey/status/823540064424706048/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Fonline%2Fcollege-student-posts-picture-of-klan-rally-on-campus-turns-out-to-be-lab-equipment%2F

You must not know about War Eagle's other meaning...

Whites of the Alt-Right Educating Auburn Gentiles for Liberation and Empowerment

22 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Eh I have. A couple times. You just don't go to as weird a places on the internet as I do. There's more than you would think but they tend to be losers irl.

Some quick research shows the ADL estimates 3k clan members and the Southern Poverty Law Center estimates 6.  1.5-4 million in the 20's and several hundred thousand in the 60's.

To have that much hate you must really suck at life.  Unfathomable to me.

1 minute ago, bluerules009 said:

Someone is totally out of touch with reality.   

How so? All I did was notice that klan members marching in the south typically aren't made to remove their masks...have you seen otherwise?

6 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

How so? All I did was notice that klan members marching in the south typically aren't made to remove their masks...have you seen otherwise?

I haven't ever seen any clan members marching other then in movies from the 50's..   The clan doesn't exist anymore.  There are more people who call themselves martians then there are clan members.  

There are more San Jose football fans then Clan members.

57 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

I was speaking specifically to the most recent violence in Berkeley. I was using, too generally obviously, the term "fascist" to denote the right-wing protestors (or counter-protestors, not sure who showed up first). I'm not under the illusion that they have a sufficiently coherent set of beliefs to qualify as fascists.

The newspaper account I read the next day said the leftists got the worst of the fighting.

I still think this is a tempest in a teapot.

Gotcha.  Would have been better worded like this.  The problem with saying the "fascists" won is that the word fascist is incredibly charged with negative connotations.  Antifa and BAMN are not really protesters so I am not sure counter protesters is a great term either.  Saying the anti-anarchists won creates a much different sentence than saying the fascists won.  Terms like Fascist and Nazi being used loosely is dangerous because of the weight of those words.  These kids probably think what they are doing is right and wholesome because they have been deluded into thinking anybody walking with a MAGA hat or an American flag are a type of evil that has historically plagued the West.  In reality they are idiots, generally with a few filthy +++++s (nazi girl puncher) sprinkled in but not the scary monsters words like fascist paint them to be. 

29 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

I haven't ever seen any clan members marching other then in movies from the 50's..   The clan doesn't exist anymore.  There are more people who call themselves martians then there are clan members.  

Whatever you're smoking or drinking is heavily impairing your cognitive abilities. 

13 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Gotcha.  Would have been better worded like this.  The problem with saying the "fascists" won is that the word fascist is incredibly charged with negative connotations.  Antifa and BAMN are not really protesters so I am not sure counter protesters is a great term either.  Saying the anti-anarchists won creates a much different sentence than saying the fascists won.  Terms like Fascist and Nazi being used loosely is dangerous because of the weight of those words.  These kids probably think what they are doing is right and wholesome because they have been deluded into thinking anybody walking with a MAGA hat or an American flag are a type of evil that has historically plagued the West.  In reality they are idiots, generally with a few filthy +++++s (nazi girl puncher) sprinkled in but not the scary monsters words like fascist paint them to be. 

Yeah I was too hasty in my initial response.

I also took Best in the West's advice and Googled the various groups involved. At the risk of being accused of deflection, wouldn't it be an equally valid question to ask why haven't any GOP leaders condemned Proud Boys, Oathkeepers, etc?

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

24 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Yeah I was too hasty in my initial response.

I also took Best in the West's advice and Googled the various groups involved. At the risk of being accused of deflection, wouldn't it be an equally valid question to ask why haven't any GOP leaders condemned Proud Boys, Oathkeepers, etc?

Except they have. There are plenty of articles and quotes of GOP and Trump denouncing of these type of groups.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38069469

Had to google what those groups even were, but pretty sure they all fall under the same umbrella.

Obviously, there was massive pressure on Trump to denounce these small, irrelevant groups.

Yet you have people being jumped. Free speech being violated and cops told to stand down in places like Berkeley...yet no pressure from these same people telling the left to condemn these groups.

In fact most of the response from the Democratic leaders..was criticism of Trump for threatening federal funding of that institution. That was their outrage. lmao.

As stated above. Not sure why the alt-right is even brought up here. They're trash. They've been condemned. They're literally nothing to society. What they have to do with Democratic leaders not saying a word about these left-wing fascists types sweeping college campuses nationwide is pretty telling.

It's even more telling when people deflect to even the simplest of yes or no questions.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

32 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Great reference point ftw

2 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Whatever you're smoking or drinking is heavily impairing your cognitive abilities. 

Equally funny poke at the poor Spartans.

Examples like this are why sports message boards are the last bastion for semi civil and in depth political debate.  There is a uniting bond and familiarity with the community that lends for more open mindedness (I know that seems bizarre but really, this place is for more civil and open minded than any politics first board or comment sections, let alone social media.)  This is a phenomenon that has been talked about in depth on NPR.  

We are lucky to have this community that challenges our perspectives, encourages us to become more informed through our personal research to further our debates and take advantage of the like research done by those with different outlooks.  Personally, I have learned a lot from this board and hope my own contributions have provided similar feelings.  

4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Examples like this are why sports message boards are the last bastion for semi civil and in depth political debate.  There is a uniting bond and familiarity with the community that lends for more open mindedness (I know that seems bizarre but really, this place is for more civil and open minded than any politics first board or comment sections, let alone social media.)  This is a phenomenon that has been talked about in depth on NPR.  

We are lucky to have this community that challenges our perspectives, encourages us to become more informed through our personal research to further our debates and take advantage of the like research done by those with different outlooks.  Personally, I have learned a lot from this board and hope my own contributions have provided similar feelings.  

That was a really interesting story. 

41 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Except they have. There are plenty of articles and quotes of GOP and Trump denouncing of these type of groups.

Had to google what those groups even were, but pretty sure they all fall under the same umbrella.

Obviously, there was massive pressure on Trump to denounce these small, irrelevant groups.

Yet you have people being jumped. Free speech being violated and cops told to stand down in places like Berkeley...yet no pressure from these same people telling the left to condemn these groups.

In fact most of the response from the Democratic leaders..was criticism of Trump for threatening federal funding of that institution. That was their outrage. lmao.

As stated above. Not sure why the alt-right is even brought up here. They're trash. They've been condemned. They're literally nothing to society. What they have to do with Democratic leaders not saying a word about these left-wing fascists types sweeping college campuses nationwide is pretty telling.

It's even more telling when people deflect to even the simplest of yes or no questions.

But I still see no indication that it is "sweeping college campuses nationwide."  The only large-scale violence I have read about is Berkeley, which has always been the focal point of radical wingnuttery, and in the most recent incident the alt-right gave as good as they got. Three arrests at Auburn when a white supremacist spoke... It's being overblown. Meanwhile last Saturday, based on the crowd estimates from the SDPD, just in San Diego15K people participated in the March for Science without a single arrest.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

17 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

17 hours ago, NVGiant said:

That was a really interesting story. 

I need to feel awesome this morning. Link plz

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

16 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I need to feel awesome this morning. Link plz

I couldn't find it, unfortunately. It was a couple of months ago and I don't even remember who it was being interviewed. The story was about how political discourse has completely broken down, especially on the Internet. But the exception was the robust political dialogue on sports message boards. Her hypothesis was that there was this shared bond among sports fans (her example was Red Sox fans on a Red Sox message board), and because of that the posters were more open to hear out those with opposing view points. 

8 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I couldn't find it, unfortunately. It was a couple of months ago and I don't even remember who it was being interviewed. The story was about how political discourse has completely broken down, especially on the Internet. But the exception was the robust political dialogue on sports message boards. Her hypothesis was that there was this shared bond among sports fans (her example was Red Sox fans on a Red Sox message board), and because of that the posters were more open to hear out those with opposing view points. 

I call fake news on this...Red Sox fans don't know the meaning of civil discourse.  :whistle: