Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

It's Official: Miami Bowl becomes the Frisco Bowl

27 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

Frisco has been NDSU's home for 5 years while winning title games there.

had 22,000-24500 each year,

Frisco is a fun town!  and yes NDSU travels about 20,000 fans.... (but Mountain West DOES NOT WANT THAT!! O NOOO)

NDSU_Championship_Photo_Frisco_Texas.jpg

Fun....this is not the Frisco that's located on SF Bay, ya know.  But I suppose compared to North Dakota in the winter....

And no you didnt have that many people in the stands for those games.  Especially the last game....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

39 minutes ago, lakesbison said:

Frisco is a fun town!  and yes NDSU travels about 20,000 fans.... (but Mountain West DOES NOT WANT THAT!! O NOOO)

Watercolors are only acceptable when building stadiums.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

It makes bowl games a joke when you reward mediocrity.  20 teams 6-6 or worse played in bowl games last year.  And that includes my alma mater.  It's ridiculous.

It may be home to FC Dallas (who cant draw flies despite being one of MLS' elite teams), but its still a HS football stadium.  A nice one, but that's still what it is.  I've been there multiple times.  ESPN chose it because it only seats 20K.  Might as well make a studio audience look better.  Beats Marlins Park, where the crowds look like, well, a Marlins game.

Ford Stadium isnt much better.  Just bigger.  But at least there will be fewer empty seats in Frisco.  So it has that going for it.  Which is nice, I suppose.

Skelly Stadium?  yes, let create 'rewards' for players by sending them to...Tulsa.

There's a very simple solution for the "there's too many bowl games" whiners: Don't watch!

How can more college football be a bad thing?

50 minutes ago, renoskier said:

There's a very simple solution for the "there's too many bowl games" whiners: Don't watch!

How can more college football be a bad thing?

Yes, if only it were that simple.

You like beer, right?  Drink too much, for too long, and eventually you're an alcoholic.  There's no such thing as too much of a good thing.

When over-saturation occurs eventually that's what starts happening.  People stop watching as much.  It's already started happening, and not just in college football.  But right now there's just enough watching for ESPN to keep feeding the beast(that's the bubble sports needs to worry about, not cord-cutting).  And schools and cities keep whoring themselves for fewer and fewer bucks.  If that makes a handful of people happy, so be it.  But it doesnt make it any less ridiculous.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Not sure why that matters but ok.....

4 hours ago, RSF said:

It makes bowl games a joke when you reward mediocrity.  20 teams 6-6 or worse played in bowl games last year.  And that includes my alma mater.  It's ridiculous.

It may be home to FC Dallas (who cant draw flies despite being one of MLS' elite teams), but its still a HS football stadium.  A nice one, but that's still what it is.  I've been there multiple times.  ESPN chose it because it only seats 20K.  Might as well make a studio audience look better.  Beats Marlins Park, where the crowds look like, well, a Marlins game.

Ford Stadium isnt much better.  Just bigger.  But at least there will be fewer empty seats in Frisco.  So it has that going for it.  Which is nice, I suppose.

Skelly Stadium?  yes, let create 'rewards' for players by sending them to...Tulsa.

So many things here.

OK...first, I'll let you in on a secret...if it's not an access/playoff game...it's all an exhibition...these bowls are just a chance to sell tickets and hotel rooms...a 5-7 team can still do those things fine.

second...I'm an AAC fan so of course I want games at Ford/Chapman stadiums...it helps the AAC...I enjoyed Tulsa...probably more fun than the Dallas suburbs.

finally, playing a HS title game there does not make it a HS stadium.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

So many things here.

OK...first, I'll let you in on a secret...if it's not an access/playoff game...it's all an exhibition...these bowls are just a chance to sell tickets and hotel rooms...a 5-7 team can still do those things fine.

second...I'm an AAC fan so of course I want games at Ford/Chapman stadiums...it helps the AAC...I enjoyed Tulsa...probably more fun than the Dallas suburbs.

finally, playing a HS title game there does not make it a HS stadium.

So many things here....

Doesnt matter.  Still devaluing things.  Oversaturation

Like I said, if it makes a few people happy, ESPN gonna keep at it until it kills it.  They dont care.  Squeeze it until its dry and then move on.  Oh, and one of those oversaturation games is played on my home field.  Wish it weren't. Although I'm not sure WHY anybody would want bowl games in their home stadiums.  That's always been a bizarre concept and it definitely sucks if you're playing in it.  But whatever floats your boat.

Who said anything about a title game?  Frisco Independent School District helped pay for Toyota Stadium.  They use it for regular season games.  It's their home field (well, one of them).  It is way too small for Texas HS title games, but apparently just the right size for a bowl game. 

6 hours ago, lakesbison said:

images.jpg

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Tulsa Guy said:

As a Tulsa fan, AAC's bowl structure has been horrible.  All of the AAC bowl games are primarily on the east side.   None have been in Texas and making it extremely difficult for ACC/West fans to follow their team .  The old CUSA/West had nice bowls close-by to drive to.  I would like to see the Bahamas Bowl killed off and moved to the west against MWC.  My guess is that AAC leadership thought those Florida Bowls would pull in ACC and SEC opponents....that, of course, didn't happen.  It would be nice to see a bowl game pitting MWC Champ against AAC Champ. 

I'd hope MW and AAC Champs would play a P5 (one being in the Access NYD Bowl)....I'd like to see our CCG losers play each other....AAC#2 vs MW#2.

~ FF

4 hours ago, RSF said:

So many things here....

Doesnt matter.  Still devaluing things.  Oversaturation

Like I said, if it makes a few people happy, ESPN gonna keep at it until it kills it.  They dont care.  Squeeze it until its dry and then move on.  Oh, and one of those oversaturation games is played on my home field.  Wish it weren't. Although I'm not sure WHY anybody would want bowl games in their home stadiums.  That's always been a bizarre concept and it definitely sucks if you're playing in it.  But whatever floats your boat.

Who said anything about a title game?  Frisco Independent School District helped pay for Toyota Stadium.  They use it for regular season games.  It's their home field (well, one of them).  It is way too small for Texas HS title games, but apparently just the right size for a bowl game. 

not your call to make...you are personally welcome to boycott a bowl if your team is 5-7 (I would not)...but they'll still take that bowl bid even without your approval.

it's not about a few people...it's ESPNs property and they'll do what they like with it...I mean, I'd love to see Memphis play in the Liberty Bowl.

I was told it was used for a hs title game...I have no idea as I don't live in that area so I can only go on what I'm told...ESPN can stick it in Alaska for all I care as we'll probably end up using it like we did the Bahamas bowl...something to trade to other conferences. (unless SMU gets to 6-6)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 4/22/2017 at 11:58 AM, UofMTigers said:

the AAC got you guys the Independence Bowl vs Va Tech...and a trip to Miami Beach for your players...I wouldn't complain.

AAC did not get Tulsa the Independence Bowl;  SEC was not able to provide a team.

The vast majority of Tulsa fans expressed their deep disappointment in the Miami Bowl on the Tulsa Rivals Board.  It is expensive to get there, it had an afternoon telecast, and it was poorly attended by the locals.  What Tulsa fans were expressing on their Rivals Board was this:  If a Florida Bowl is going to select an AAC team as per its contract, that Florida Bowl will always look at UCF and USF first because of attendance issues.  Tulsa fans, including yours truly, felt that Tulsa deserved better.  I am glad the Miami Bowl was moved to Frisco. Hopefully, another eastern AAC bowl will go kaput and move it to the West.  Then drop Hawaii Bowl and get a geographically friendly western bowl with MWC....but not the Hawaii Bowl.

My guess is AAC Commish Arseco and AAC leadership thought these Florida bowls would pull in AAC and SEC teams, given that each conference had 14 teams.  Nice try.  A for effort and F for results.  So let's move on and establish western bowls for the western AAC teams. 

CUSA/West has a better set of bowls than AAC/West.

5 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

My guess is AAC Commish Arseco and AAC leadership thought these Florida bowls would pull in AAC and SEC teams, given that each conference had 14 teams.  Nice try.  A for effort and F for results.  So let's move on and establish western bowls for the western AAC teams. 

Aresco is Craig Thompson of the East. Both are dunces.

But don't try to tell that to some of the true believers on the P6 board who think Aresco is the bee's knees.

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 4/21/2017 at 6:04 PM, MWC Tex said:

Conversation

Relocated Miami Beach Bowl will be played in Frisco, Texas, a 20,500 MLS stadium that also annually hosts FCS title game

Soccer City Bowl

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

8 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

AAC did not get Tulsa the Independence Bowl;  SEC was not able to provide a team.

The vast majority of Tulsa fans expressed their deep disappointment in the Miami Bowl on the Tulsa Rivals Board.  It is expensive to get there, it had an afternoon telecast, and it was poorly attended by the locals.  What Tulsa fans were expressing on their Rivals Board was this:  If a Florida Bowl is going to select an AAC team as per its contract, that Florida Bowl will always look at UCF and USF first because of attendance issues.  Tulsa fans, including yours truly, felt that Tulsa deserved better.  I am glad the Miami Bowl was moved to Frisco. Hopefully, another eastern AAC bowl will go kaput and move it to the West.  Then drop Hawaii Bowl and get a geographically friendly western bowl with MWC....but not the Hawaii Bowl.

lol, yes...the AAC got your 6-6 team the Independence bowl by being the backup pick...that wasn't by accident...we have a contract to be the backup.

last season, yeah, I get that...I'd be pissed too if my team won 9 games and got sent to play a 6-6 MAC team in some random weekday bowl.

the AAC West doesn't have any bowls as there is no pecking order for the AAC.

mem skyline sig.jpeg