Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

USU's Rayshad Lewis (son of Ray Lewis) transferring

Guest #1Stunner

Rayshad Lewis has decided to transfer from Utah State has not decided where yet

http://www.scout.com/college/utah-state/story/1772538-utah-state-loses-lewis

Lewis had 40 receptions for 476 yards last year in his true freshman season.

This leaves a huge hole and the WR corps and could potentially hurts the defense and Special teams as well.

He was poised to be a very productive player for the Aggies next year and potentially play both ways in addition to returning punts.

4 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

Why does Utah State have their recruits pose in front of a Nevada logo?

Interesting catch.  That is weird.

12 hours ago, Fort Fun said:

Why does Utah State have their recruits pose in front of a Nevada logo?

Didn't notice that, maybe it's got all the MWC teams going across the bottom?

29 minutes ago, badfish said:

Didn't notice that, maybe it's got all the MWC teams going across the bottom?

That's good. Then at least recruits CSU didn't want can at least get their pic taken in front of a CSU logo. 

Seems like a big big loss for USU

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

16 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

He (and his dad) probably decided he needs a team with a QB that can get him the ball. Not sure why he picked USU in the first place.  Was that the only FBS offer he had?  

That's what I was wondering. Seems like a strange place for a kid from Orlando.

4 hours ago, renoskier said:

That's what I was wondering. Seems like a strange place for a kid from Orlando.

Who knows the reason?It could be anything from a girl friend, homesick, academics, hates the snow, hates Logan, maybe a coaching or team thing. My completely unfounded guess is he's headed to S. Florida and HC Charlie Strong.:shrug:

Guest #1Stunner

Emotions are understandably raw in Ogden today.

Local newspaper defends Rayshad, and takes a shot at Wyoming and Boise.

http://usustatesman.com/rayshad-lewis-owes-nothing/

From the article:

There are several advantages to playing for a mid-major, particularly for Utah State. The workout and practice facilities in Logan are literally top-of-the-line. Maverik Stadium’s overhaul put the Aggies on the map as having one of the three best home field locations in the conference, and the only one in a gorgeous valley — sorry Laramie/Boise, you know I’m right.

The writer also defends Rayshad's right to transfer from a losing USU football team for "cultural fit" (Rayshad is black), while simultaneously attacking David Collette as a "narcissist" "Judas" for his decision transferring from a losing USU basketball program (Collette is a white, Mormon kid from Utah).

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Emotions are understandably raw in Ogden today.

Local newspaper defends Rayshad, and takes a shot at Wyoming and Boise.

http://usustatesman.com/rayshad-lewis-owes-nothing/

From the article:

There are several advantages to playing for a mid-major, particularly for Utah State. The workout and practice facilities in Logan are literally top-of-the-line. Maverik Stadium’s overhaul put the Aggies on the map as having one of the three best home field locations in the conference, and the only one in a gorgeous valley — sorry Laramie/Boise, you know I’m right.

The writer also defends Rayshad's right to transfer from a losing USU football team for "cultural fit" (Rayshad is black), while simultaneously attacking David Collette as a "narcissist" "Judas" for his decision transferring from a losing USU basketball program (Collette is a white, Mormon kid from Utah).

7/10 trolling. Nice Ogden reference. Not bad. Also managed to pick out the one line in the article that could piss off other fan bases as well. Not your best work, but well-done overall.

For those who didn't actually read the article, it never mentioned race specifically; just a vague reference to "culture." But I am sympathetic to the idea that a black kid from Florida could potentially experience some culture shock in Logan. It's a bummer that he is leaving, especially since the rumor is that he is P5-bound. It looks like he may have picked up some interest from bigger schools now that he has proven that he can be successful despite his size. That stinks, but it's going to happen sometimes.

As for Collette, I think the USU fan base's beef with him isn't that he is a white Mormon guy that transferred. It's the fact that he secretly shopped himself to other programs (and lied about it repeatedly) and then transferred right before the season started (and mysteriously made that decision the same day that one of Utah's committed big men bailed, opening a scholarship spot for him). If a player wants to transfer for whatever reason, then I wish them the best of luck. But quitting on the day before the season starts when it's too late to recruit a replacement is a douche move to begin with, and it's even more egregious you have your agent calling every school in the country (including schools in your own conference) shopping your services, then yeah, a Judas comparison is not unreasonable. F*ck that guy.

12 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

7/10 trolling. Nice Ogden reference. Not bad. Also managed to pick out the one line in the article that could piss off other fan bases as well. Not your best work, but well-done overall.

For those who didn't actually read the article, it never mentioned race specifically; just a vague reference to "culture." But I am sympathetic to the idea that a black kid from Florida could potentially experience some culture shock in Logan. It's a bummer that he is leaving, especially since the rumor is that he is P5-bound. It looks like he may have picked up some interest from bigger schools now that he has proven that he can be successful despite his size. That stinks, but it's going to happen sometimes.

As for Collette, I think the USU fan base's beef with him isn't that he is a white Mormon guy that transferred. It's the fact that he secretly shopped himself to other programs (and lied about it repeatedly) and then transferred right before the season started (and mysteriously made that decision the same day that one of Utah's committed big men bailed, opening a scholarship spot for him). If a player wants to transfer for whatever reason, then I wish them the best of luck. But quitting on the day before the season starts when it's too late to recruit a replacement is a douche move to begin with, and it's even more egregious you have your agent calling every school in the country (including schools in your own conference) shopping your services, then yeah, a Judas comparison is not unreasonable. F*ck that guy.

You don't know anything about what happened with David Collette.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
51 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Rayshad announced his transfer, not after the end of the season, and not before the recruiting period was over.  He also waited until after the coaches invested an entire spring practice session on him.  But that's okay...

Rayshad wanted to transfer to a better school, and isn't "part of the culture", according to the USU beat writer in Ogden.  The Aggies fans are fine with Rayshad looking out for his best interests.  Rayshad is a loyal Aggie and never "shopped himself".  He said he likes Ogden.... and the people there, just wants to be gone, far away, is all.

But David Collette is another story.... Collette is an outrage!!!   Collette, identified as a "Judas", "narcissist" and a "traitor" in the article, is still despised throughout Ogden to this day.  This is because Collette was supposed to be the definition of Aggies Culture (Mormon kid, grew up a BYU fan, dreamed of attending BYU, didn't get recruited to BYU, had to settle for USU, not happy about not attending BYU).  Collette was supposed to be the guy all Aggies identified with.  Someone USU could be proud of.....  But.... Collette's decision to leave a loser basketball team, rejecting "the Aggie culture" is a slap in the face, and a rejection of the Aggies tradition and culture....Much more so than Rayshad.  What Collette did was no less than treason!

Thus, the beat writer had a valid basis for praising Rayshad for transferring, and simultaneously slamming white Utah kid David Collette for transferring.  Aggies will never forget what David Collette did to the Aggie Nation .

31 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

You don't know anything about what happened with David Collette.

I do know for a fact that he transferred the day before the season started. And I do know that he announced his decision to transfer on the same day that one of Utah's commits bailed. I don't have firsthand knowledge that his agent was shopping him to other schools. But Duryea told a reporter that UNLV's Dave Rice called him (apparently Duryea and Rice are friends from their time together at USU) and said that Collette's agent had called Rice and asked him if there were any scholarships available. Rice that this was more than a little shady, so he called Duryea to tell him about it. Do I know for a fact that Collette bailed on USU the minute that he knew that there was a scholarship open at Utah? No. But assuming Duryea wasn't lying about what Rice told him, the whole thing looks awfully suspicious to me. He's going to forfeit a full scholarship and just roll the dice at Utah? Sorry, not buying it. At any rate, even if Collette is telling the truth and he gave up a scholarship at USU and transferred to Utah without any assurances that he was getting a scholarship there, he's still a douchebag for quitting the day before the season started when it's too late to recruit a replacement. F*ck him.