PAC 16 -- 2020

Guest Dr. Dre
2 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Already done. Now you can die in peace.

Pac TWELVE expansion, not Pac TEN. 

I'll be sure to dance on your grave though- or at least piss

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

Its kinda "a stay of execution"

Or kinda not, since nothing else has changed.  if the shit does fly in 2023 (when the Pac 12 GOR is scheduled to expire) or 2024 (when the Big 12 one does), then the CCG change doesnt change that.  What it did, on the other hand, was disincentivize them from adding schools from the outside to the big kids table.

4 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Pay attn SGF, that was a response to Drudge.

I was more focused on how the Pac 12 suddenly has 4 less teams than the Big 10,SEC or ACC.

Now if he had said the Big 12 has 4 less.....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I was just stating there are several different reasons why Pac-12 won't invite BYU and also really there are no other choices for Pac-12 unless they raid Big 12 or something for any expansion which I don't think Pac-12 will do anytime soon unless they picked up stragglers to go to a 16 team conference and break from the NCAA. 

With the B10 they wanted to expand they wanted to move east so that is why Maryland and Rutgers were plucked.....also Colorado to the Pac-12 wasn't a huge surprise for me.

This is the heart of the problem. There is no expansion candidate in the current climate that makes any sense to any of the leagues. Exceptions are in other P5 leagues, and there are only a handful of those. Really, there are only 2 or 3 that make the effort worthwhile. Stasis, get used to it.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

3 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

Don't be surprised to get a geyser back at ya.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

1 minute ago, Chad Sexington said:

This is the heart of the problem. There is no expansion candidate in the current climate that makes any sense to any of the leagues. Exceptions are in other P5 leagues, and there are only a handful of those. Really, there are only 2 or 3 that make the effort worthwhile. Stasis, get used to it.

What I've been saying.  But I recognize I have a more vested interest in the status quo - if contraction occurs into a P4, my school runs the risk of finding itself without a chair when the music stops.  Again.  But that doesnt make the scenarios any more or less workable.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

SUDS has pissed itself enough for one year.

#SouthAlabama #MajorLeagueSuckage

12667677.jpeg

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

What I've been saying.  But I recognize I have a more vested interest in the status quo - if contraction occurs into a P4, my school runs the risk of finding itself without a chair when the music stops.  Again.  But that doesnt make the scenarios any more or less workable.

So does every team outside of the historical or legacy programs.  Each P5 league has two to three teams that the other leagues would pursue.  Aside from maybe ten to 12 schools, every school has to always worry about being on the outside looking in.

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

CSU and SDSU will be in the PAC by 2025, its basically a forgone conclusion. Utes and Zoobs are gonna be pissed. 

Eight years from now? Sure, maybe, but not likely.

3 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

So does every team outside of the historical or legacy programs.  Each P5 league has two to three teams that the other leagues would pursue.  Aside from maybe ten to 12 schools, every school has to always worry about being on the outside looking in.

Let's just say there are different levels of paranoia.  A little private school that has been left behind before probably has more justifiable paranoia than a land grant school, even one from a smaller state.

9 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

Eight years from now? Sure, maybe, but not likely.

You're right, prolly more like four years from now. SUDS's resume is too much for the P5 to resist. 

#DonCoryellSomethingSomething  #UndefeatedInBigEastPlay

12667677.jpeg

23 minutes ago, RSF said:

I was more focused on how the Pac 12 suddenly has 4 less teams than the Big 10,SEC or ACC.

Not focused enough, obviously. Four less for the Pac after the others expand to 16 you dolt.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Not focused enough, obviously. Four less for the Pac after the others expand to 16 you dolt.

giphy.gif

I must have missed where they expanded.  Do you have a link?  Thanks.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Have any of you guys ever read what the PAC presidents and the elitist influential faculty folks have to say about expansion? If you haven't, you should. I read an article a while ago that quoted those folks from CAL, Stanford and UCLA, and it was a real eye opener. But these people that make expansion decisions see it primarily what a school can add academically to their portfolio of schools making things happen with research. 

These people are just like us accept they geek out over how much better they're doing academically than the other conferences. They have their little cocktail parties and talk about the latest break through in research that one of their schools is having, and talk about how great their PAC fraternity of schools is over other conferences. It's like academics is sports to them. 

So if you really want to know what these decision makers are really thinking, you might want to pay attention to that instead of convincing yourself that these people see it your way. When expansion is brought up, they want to know what research and other academics you have to offer to their incredible conference. They don't even mention athletics except as an after thought at the end of their discussion. Medical research gives them the biggest boner, so that's how you'll have to impress as a little shiit G5. 

I really couldn't believe how snobbish and arrogant they are. So if you're interested in reality, you'll know what you're up against just to get a wiff of interest. If you don't have any great research for them to add to their greatness, then just give it a rest. You won't even be considered. If you do have what they want, then they'll let the athletic analysis begin. It's a tough cookie to crack.

When I hear about SDSU, Boise St., UNLV being so qualified to get in by some posters here, it is just insane. I don't think Hawaii will get any interest because when it gets to the athletic analysis part, travel will be too much. CSU is the most qualified in the MWC by a slim margin, and then there are a couple more such as Nevada that could potentially pass the academic scrutiny eventually with all the good research going on there. But when we get looked at for athletics, we still have a ways to go with facilities, etc. But it's at least going in the right direction. And the same applies to maybe another 1 or 2 MWC schools. 

while athletics (and academics for some schools) are clearly the face of a university, research is a hidden denominator that many don't recognize.

university athletics = millions

university research = billions

annual research dollars that go through UW, UCLA and Stanford are in excess of 3 billion dollars every year, that is their own little empire

6 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

while athletics (and academics for some schools) are clearly the face of a university, research is a hidden denominator that many don't recognize.

annual research dollars that go through UW, UCLA and Stanford are in excess of 3 billion dollars every year, that is their own little empire

research dollars are restricted. The real reason athletics $$$ matter is to fund the very program(s) generating the revenue. Especially on the left coast where appetites to fund these programs seems to be collapsing. so your point is moot and athletics $$$ still matters a lot. Especially to the non-juggernauts of the conference. And adding SDSU and CSU or some other MW schools won't effect Stanford's billions in research. 

Just face it, PAC is going to be stuck adding MW schools by 2025 and you all are now realizing it which is why you are hear arguing in the first place...because you have doubts. 

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Academic elitism is a bigger deal in the PAC12 and BIG TEN.  The ACC, SEC, and BIG12 don't care as much.

There are no G5 mega research schools in the PAC12 footprint.  CSU is okay, and maybe most similar to Utah.  But the PAC12 wants Texas for a lot of reasons.  They are the only school that will motivate the PAC12 to expand again.

32 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

CSU and SDSU will be in the PAC by 2025, its basically a forgone conclusion. Utes and Zoobs are gonna be pissed. 

How much do you want to bet? You state the amount, and I'll triple it...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

12 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Academic elitism is a bigger deal in the PAC12 and BIG TEN.  The ACC, SEC, and BIG12 don't care as much.

Yup - 13 of the 14 Big 10 members are in the AAU.  Nebraska was - and still would be if the AAU took agricultural research into account, and didnt insist that their med school be in Lincoln.  8 of the 12 Pac 12 members are in the AAU (Utah, ASU, OSU, WSU).  ACC is at the next level (5 schools, but that includes UNC and UVa).  SEC and Big 12 together have 7.