Warbow

PAC 16 -- 2020

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

The PAC will not be adding any MWC teams by 2020.  The Pac will not be adding any MWC teams in the next 10 or 20 years.  Probably not ever.

then the current mwc platform will cause teams to go indy.its about to happen.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

PAC12 will never expand with MWC teams.   They are very against expanding and losing tradition.

Only team they would consider expanding for is Texas, plus one other (another Texas school).  That's it.

The University of Houston has a far greater chance to join the PAC12 than does BYU or any MWC schools.

The PAC12 is an academic conference to the presidents and elite that control the conf. Athletics are a distant 2nd in terms of importance. You get judged by academics first because that's their thing. If you add something to their academic fraternity, then they'll be willing to look at your potential athletic contribution. But most won't get even a sniff on the academic part. That's the PAC12 reality. 

kat.jpg

5 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

I hear a lot about "going indy".  I think Hawaii could pull it off.  I doubt any of the other MWC teams could.

As far as the current MWC platform, that needs to change and it will.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

PAC12 will never expand with MWC teams.   They are very against expanding and losing tradition.

Only team they would consider expanding for is Texas, plus one other (another Texas school).  That's it.

The University of Houston has a far greater chance to join the PAC12 than does BYU or any MWC schools.

Didn't Pac-12 make a play for Texas and Oklahoma a few years ago?

5 hours ago, Warbow said:

PAC 16 -- 2020

North

1. Washington

2. Washington St.

3. Oregon

4. Oregon St.

5. Cal

6. Stanford

7. Colorado

8. Boise St.

South

1. USC

2. UCLA

3. Arizona

4. Arizona St.

5. Utah

6. Hawaii

7. UNLV

8. San Diego St.

You just don't understand how any of this works 

16 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Bullshit.

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Ah Ok.....I knew they made a play for Texas and thought the other was Oklahoma but wasn't sure

It was as close to a done deal as a done deal can get. However, circumstances have changed considerably.

1. That deal would have created a Pac-16 by adding half of the then 12 members of the B12 to the Pac-10. One of the six would have been A&M but A&M is no longer available to the Pac because A&M has since joined the SEC. Also, the Pac is no longer at just 10 because it has since added Colorado and Utah. Word was the Pac didn't want TT but was willing to take the Red Raiders as part of the 6-school package. (TT's academics were marginal for the Pac and Lubbock is in the middle of nowhere and as a non-national program would have brought next to no TV value.) It was reported that many within the Texas legislature threatened to scuttle the deal if the Pac wouldn't take TT.

2. Would the Pac now take TT as part of just a 4-school deal? Absolutely if the deal included UT. However, the 6-school deal was put together when the Longhorn Network was still in the planning stages so UT would have given it up and conceded to just being part of the Pac Network. Now UT has thrown big bucks in the LHN. Maybe the LHN could somehow be incorporated into the Pac Network but even so, without the Oklahoma schools coming along TT and UT would be huge geographical outliers. One other change over the last half dozen years is the extent to which OU has become disgruntled in being in the same league with UT. Nebraska supposedly left for the B1G and A&M for the SEC to a great extent because they got tired of Bevo's being such a diva.

3. Oklahoma: You might have read me say last week that the Sooners are the wildcard in the significant realignment that figures to take place circa 2025. That's because unless UT makes a great effort to mend fences before then, OU is going to leave the B12 and isn't going to go anywhere that UT might go. So the writing is on the wall that there's no way the Pac or any other conference will get both UT and OU. I won't bother explaining all the possible scenarios here but I think the most probable scenario is that UT will remain in the B12 as not just diva but queen of a lesser crop while OU will join either the B1G or the SEC or, much less likely, the Pac along with OSU. (Most Pac locations are too far from Oklahoma to make that conference to make economic and academic sense.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

19 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Bullshit.

I'm not sure what you're calling bs, but I'm very skeptical that the league would add another california school.

The California Block already wields disproportionate power.

"If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are you still a moron?"

"Give me a Sandwich and a Douchebag and there's nothing I can't do!"

14 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

I'm not sure what you're calling bs, but I'm very skeptical that the league would add another california school.

I called BS on Stunner's assertion the Pac won't expand again unless it can get UT. The Pac might be content with what it has now but it's eventually going to be forced to expand once the other power conferences all go to 16 as seems inevitable. I also called BS on the contention that Houston has a much better chance of being added to the Pac than BYU or anybody in the MWC. On that issue, since BYU doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being offered Pac membership it could be argued that even Iowa State has a better chance of getting in. Although there's also a snowball's chance the Pac would offer Houston by its lonesome, the Pac could offer THOSE Cougars along with UT but word is UT is totally opposed to doing anything to elevate UH's status so would UT agree to such a deal? Doubtful.

As to SDSU, you are correct about the clout the California schools have within the Pac. However, I don't see USC having any problem whatsoever in letting SDSU in. USC already dominates recruiting within all of the state so SDSU is no threat to the Trojans. Probably no threat to Stanford either since nobody in their right mind who could get admitted to Stanford would choose to attend SDSU instead. So really it's the two UC schools that would probably bring the most opposition and I'm not predicting it will happen but it is conceivable that just as the Virginia legislature pressured UVA to stop opposing VA Tech's admission to the Big East, the same could happen in the California legislature regarding SDSU. And you have to admit that 15 years ago nobody would have thought Utah would be admitted to the Pac.

Let me ask this. Would you agree that the most likely scenario is that the Pac will end up holding its nose and taking 4 schools it isn't exactly elated with because circumstances will prevent it from getting anybody more sexy?

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 minutes ago, Chad Sexington said:

California schools were never mentioned. But stunner did claim Houston has a better shot than any MW school...I would put CSU or Unlv ahead of HOuston...

MAYBE CSU gets into the Pac.

Because of limited travel by plane, when the Pacific Coast Conference was created almost 100 years ago it made sense to have two schools proximate to each other so visiting teams could kill two birds with one road trip. That travel partner concept was continued by the Pac when it expanded to ten in 1978. However, although Utah and CU aren't that far apart, they aren't nearly as close as the historical practice had been and they aren't even in the same state. Certainly visiting teams don't just bus between them.

How big is Fort Collins? 150K maybe? And it's what, less than an hour and a half from Boulder or just another 'burb of Denver?

Assuming the Pac can't get OU and Okie State, CSU will probably be among a number of options for the Pac. Satisfactory but nothing more. Others will probably be SDSU, UNLV, UNM and maybe Texas Tech. I get that such a motley group makes guys like Sexington cringe but as things stand today, that's the reality of Pac expansion.

Boom goes the dynamite.

22 hours ago, Warbow said:

PAC 16 -- 2020

North

1. Washington

2. Washington St.

3. Oregon

4. Oregon St.

5. Cal

6. Stanford

7. Colorado

8. Boise St.

South

1. USC

2. UCLA

3. Arizona

4. Arizona St.

5. Utah

6. Hawaii

7. UNLV

8. San Diego St.

When they Pac-10 was shopping hard, they were after Texas and Oklahoma.  Colorado was taken to force the Big 12 Schools' hands.  I don't think that Boise State, UNLV, Hawai'i, and SDSU, although fine institutions, would add the value that the Pac-12 needs to make expansion work for them.  You should just label this, "A conference I would like my alma mater to be part of."

18 hours ago, kalua pig said:

Just pick a P5 team to root for, already.  The separation has happened, and your school wasn't a part of it.  You guys are like SDSU fans a couple of years ago.  Yes, the separation that has occurred in Division I NCAA sports hurts the fans, and the schools that were on the losing end of the branding/money wars.  Accept reality, man.  You have an awesome school to support.  That doesn't mean you have to shit on other schools who also don't enjoy privileged status, that's just bad form.