Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

What are you reading? Off-season 2017

Reviews? Recommendation? Stay always? What has everybody been reading, what are you about to start?

Currently Reading:

From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776 by George C. Herring

Secret Treasure of Oak Island: The Amazing True Story of a Centuries Old Treasure Hint by D'arcy O'connor. Part of my rabbit hole research. If you like Oak Island this is the book.

Recently Finished:

The Oak Island Enigma: A History and Inquiry into the Origin of the Money Pit by Thomas P. Leary. More of an extended pamphlet. This is not the Oak Island book to get.

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident By Donnie Eichar. More Rabbit hole stuff.

Rabbit, Run by John Updike. I can't believe how much I didn't like this book. I'd heard it was like a Catcher in the Rye, and it was. With none of the good parts.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Kind of jumping around, but...

13240746-10154173499633485-6577039971405

In essence, near the entire Rebirth thing. Which kicked off with two main events;

1. The death of New52 Superman and return of Post-Crisis Superman (along with Lois and their son, Jonathon)

2. The return of the original Wally West, acting as a Herald of a new Crisis Event (basically).

Where the New52 line was all about being "dark", "edgy", and "realistic", Rebirth has been a throwback in the way the stories are told in DC Comics.

Also, Damian Wayne and Jonathon Kent together are pretty entertaining (Super Sons series). Think, basically, if Superman and Batman had become friends as kids and did their superhero thing.

Other than this, basically whatever peaks my interest at the time.

47 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Reviews? Recommendation? Stay always? What has everybody been reading, what are you about to start?

Currently Reading:

From Colony to Superpower: U.S. Foreign Relations Since 1776 by George C. Herring

Secret Treasure of Oak Island: The Amazing True Story of a Centuries Old Treasure Hint by D'arcy O'connor. Part of my rabbit hole research. If you like Oak Island this is the book.

Recently Finished:

The Oak Island Enigma: A History and Inquiry into the Origin of the Money Pit by Thomas P. Leary. More of an extended pamphlet. This is not the Oak Island book to get.

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident By Donnie Eichar. More Rabbit hole stuff.

Rabbit, Run by John Updike. I can't believe how much I didn't like this book. I'd heard it was like a Catcher in the Rye, and it was. With none of the good parts.

If you would like some feel good reading try Boys in the Boat 

The California Gold Rush and the Coming of the Civil War by Leonard L. Richards 

This is an amazing book filled with detailed in depth history of the Golden State. B)

The California Gold Rush and the Coming of the Civil War

Finally got around to reading The Road. That book put me into a funk for about two days.

Currently reading The Oregon Trail. Some dude decided to build a replica covered wagon, buy three mules, and cross what's left of the Oregon Trail. Pretty good book except when the author goes on long tangents about mule husbandry or other similarly dry topics.

44 minutes ago, crixus said:

The California Gold Rush and the coming of the Civil War by Leonard L. Richards 

This is an amazing book filled with detailed in depth history of the Golden State. B)

The California Gold Rush and the Coming of the Civil War

I'm putting it on my list.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, Fort Fun said:

Finally got around to reading The Road. That book put me into a funk for about two days.

Currently reading The Oregon Trail. Some dude decided to build a replica covered wagon, buy three mules, and cross what's left of the Oregon Trail. Pretty good book except when the author goes on long tangents about mule husbandry or other similarly dry topics.

Why, whaddya mean? That's his most optimistic novel?

I'm currently reading Pablo Escobar, My Father by Juan Pablo Escobar. It's an interesting book in that you can clearly tell the author is not a professional or experienced writer ... but yet there's something charming about the clunky authenticity of his style. A discerning reader will easily pick up on the conflict of emotions the writer has regarding his father, which I would think any son would have in that dynamic. It's an interesting perspective and worth picking up if at an airport, just don't expect Pulitzer prize material. 

On the 5 star scale, I'd rate it a 3. 

51IbdT7L4sL._AC_UL320_SR208,320_.jpg

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Why, whaddya mean? That's his most optimistic novel?

Yeah if The Road puts you in a funk the his Blood Meridian (which some consider the greatest novel by a living American - I agree) would give you PTSD. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

10 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Yeah if The Road puts you in a funk the his Blood Meridian (which some consider the greatest novel by a living American - I agree) would give you PTSD. 

"This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one's will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god."

I wonder if this is what McCain and Lindsey Graham love about it.

21 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Currently Reading:

Recently Finished:

Currently, I've been pretty caught up in the epic plights of the MWC Board. 

Its so interesting. There are times it's a divine comedy and at others its something akin to Dantes Inferno.

The narratives in this epic are ever changing, fascinating reading ,the author must be a creative genius or has completely lost his mind.

I recently looked at a Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven Website and realized that since I had last read their stuff in the 80's they have put out a whole bunch more.   Follow up books to Dream Park, Mote in Gods Eye, Ringworld and a whole bunch more Kzin stuff.

So i have been having a great time reading the best science fiction writers ever.   Can't hardly believe how productive these guys are.