Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest #1Stunner

If the new MWC TV Contract is less than $3MM, should schools just keep their own TV rights?

If the new MWC TV contract is less than $3MM, should schools just keep their own TV rights?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. If the new MWC TV Contract is less than $3MM, should schools just keep their own TV rights?

• YES - let the schools keep and sell their own TV rights.
    • NO - the conference should still keep, sell and retain all TV rights.

Guest #1Stunner

This is just a poll to see what everyone thinks.  Could your school get more money / exposure by just keeping and selling its own TV rights?  

Maybe $3MM being the threshhold of whether or not to give the TV rights to the conference or not.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, RogueStout said:

I think all the programs except SJSU and maybe USU would do pretty well with managing Tier 3 broadcast rights.

Gotta confess I don't know a whole lot about how these things work though.

I'm not really talking retaining "tier 3" rights.  But retaining all broadcast rights to all "home" athletics contests.  

So Boise would own and could sell all of their broadcast rights for their home football and basketball games.  And maybe simulcast stream their games, outside of the Boise market, on the MWC Digital Network.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

This is just a poll to see what everyone thinks.  Could your school get more money / exposure by just keeping and selling its own TV rights?  

Maybe $3MM being the threshhold of whether or not to give the TV rights to the conference or not.

I guess you haven't heard. We're going all digital. 

Try to keep up. 

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I'm not really talking retaining "tier 3" rights.  But retaining all broadcast rights to all "home" athletics contests.  

So Boise would own and could sell all of their broadcast rights for their home football and basketball games.  And maybe simulcast stream their games, outside of the Boise market, on the MWC Digital Network.

Ahh, so like reject the contract so to speak?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
14 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Ahh, so like reject the contract so to speak?

correct.  meaning, not have a contract.   keep and sell their own tv rights, at a chance for more money or exposure.

13 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

correct.  meaning, not have a contract.   keep and sell their own tv rights, at a chance for more money or exposure.

Ok. 

Yeah well if serious, I think that what you are asking/proposing would cause the collapse of the MWC.

25 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Ok. 

Yeah well if serious, I think that you you are asking/proposing would cause the collapse of the MWC.

Why?  Where would the schools go?

4 minutes ago, npliam said:

Nowhere to go, but anarchy would begin.  Some MWC schools could command a higher paycheck by peddling their own rights, others would be lucky to get a gig on facebook.  Conference functionality would cease to exist and membership would be reduced to nothing more than scheduling agreements.  We'd basically have 12 schools acting as indy's with agreements to play each other.  That would likely drop to 10, then 8, and so on as the lack of TV money buried some FB programs.  Maybe it's what the conference needs to be honest, culling the herd.  Anyway, it's not going to happen so it's all just hypothetical.

1 hour ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

I thought Former Frog was banned from starting threads, @mugtang

Stunner isn't Frog. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

8 hours ago, npliam said:

Headbutt said it perfectly below.

8 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Nowhere to go, but anarchy would begin.  Some MWC schools could command a higher paycheck by peddling their own rights, others would be lucky to get a gig on facebook.  Conference functionality would cease to exist and membership would be reduced to nothing more than scheduling agreements.  We'd basically have 12 schools acting as indy's with agreements to play each other.  That would likely drop to 10, then 8, and so on as the lack of TV money buried some FB programs.  Maybe it's what the conference needs to be honest, culling the herd.  Anyway, it's not going to happen so it's all just hypothetical.

Guest Dr. Dre
8 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Some MWC schools could command a higher paycheck by peddling their own rights, others would be lucky to get a gig on facebook.  Conference functionality would cease to exist and membership would be reduced to nothing more than scheduling agreements.  We'd basically have 12 schools acting as indy's with agreements to play each other.  That would likely drop to 10, then 8, and so on as the lack of TV money buried some FB programs.  Maybe it's what the conference needs to be honest, culling the herd. 

Sounds like the plan. SDSU fully endorses this.

No votes include Dudley Do-Right, contract law and some guy who lives in Spot B. No telling how knowledgeable they are or who they root for but my guess would be more than you might think and SJSU or Wyoming.

Boom goes the dynamite.

We should pitch our rights to Amazon and Netflix and let them bid for us. I'm sure they would be interested in live sports, if the price is right. Starting with the Mountain West would allow them to work out the kinks with broadcasting and user interface etc, and position them to compete with major broadcasters for other larger content, down the road.

For us it means: potentially getting a much bigger paycheck.

16 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Hawaii gets 2.3 plus on their own Tier 3 TV rights and nothing from the MWC TV deal.

There's only a handful of schools in the MWC that could survive without conference TV deal monies.

1. Hawaii (Survive) - Local TV deal brings 2.3 plus, I'm sure if we step up our game we could also get a small deal with ESPN also.

2. Boise St. (Survive) -- ESPN deal and possible BYUTV could bring them in double digits millions.

3. San Diego St. (Survive) -- Tijuana Market is huge, telemundo plus local TV network will bring them in millions. ESPN possibilities also

4. UNLV (Survive) -- After the stadium is build a possible small local TV deal is possible. They need to partner up with Nevada for this, could bring them more.

5. Air Force (Survive) -- All three service academies schools should partner up on a deal with ESPN.

6. San Jose St. (DIE) -- No national or local interest. Will die a slow death or go FCS

7. New Mexico (DIE) -- No national or local interest, maybe a local basketball deal. Will die a slow death or go to CUSA.

8. Utah St. (DIE) -- Best bet is to gauge interest on BYUTV. No local or national interest but Utah Mormons may watch them on BYUTV

9. Colorado St. (Survive) -- Possible small deal with ESPN and local deal. They will survive

10. Nevada (???) -- See UNLV above

11. Fresno St. -(Survive)- See Colorado St.

12. Wyoming (DIE) -- No way in hell they get any type of deal. Big Sky is their only option where they can ride Montana's coattails.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.