Warbow

OT: I did my DNA test on ancestry

25 minutes ago, sjsbuff said:

I've resisted doing the Ancestry test myself due to the privacy issues. That Agreement thingamabob that you sign off on is a real piece of work.  Generally speaking, however, Ancestry is a very good genealogical resource that you should seriously consider trying out and tapping more into (insert Dre's momma joke here).  

I've been working on several Trees over the last 3+ years.  It's addicting.  Some of the discoveries that you make are pretty cool, like discovering that my maternal great-grandfather was a doctor up in Canada.  Like many, I'm sure, I'm primarily a UK runt (English, Irish, Scottish), but finding some of the specifics are really interesting, such as which Scottish clan(s) you came from going way back, etc. (some of those families were real ass-kickers).

My gal is Italian and doing her family research has been really interesting, too.  It's sort of humorous how some of the family stories that are passed down the generations can be so inaccurate.   You mention your grandmother being from Sicily.  Well, one of the stories in her family was that her maternal grandfather, too, was from there.   Not so fast my friend...

I've done all the research and have also taught myself some Italian.  In doing so, I have been able to mine hundreds and hundreds of Italian Birth, Marriage and Death Records (requires a pretty expensive Ancestry World Account).  Long story short, her maternal grandfather was most definitely not Sicilian.  Instead, he hailed from the Province of Potenza.  Southern Italian, sure, but not Sicilian.  I have numerous support records that go back to the early 1800's, which also reference HIS ancestors (parents) from the mid-to-late 1700's, so my conclusions are pretty much bullet-proof there.  All from that comune in Potenza.

Anyway, the free resources that you mention are a good complement to Ancestry.  My $0.02 would be to go with a larger community like Ancestry first, but to each his or her own (is only $7.00 or $8.00 per month).  Back to the original topic, one day I will probably do the DNA test, but maybe thru 23andMe, etc., first...  

That's incredible, yeah opening the history of your family is one amazing journey. Just on one branch of the tree I found that I had a 2nd great uncle who was blinded in the Battle of the Somme and was honored in Birkenhead (outside of Liverpool) by unveiling the WWI Memorial for the area. His name is forever inscribed on the memorial as having been the one to unveil it. I've also discovered another 2nd great uncle was knighted by the queen and his son actually served on a ship in WWII that was the basis for a movie that starred Steve McQueen although the story is a little sketchy as far as Hollywood goes. I've found many 2nd great aunts and uncles were born in Pakistan, and India due to my 3rd great grandfather serving in the British military. He fought in Ethiopia, Crimea and then in India. When I think about that it's amazing he wasn't killed. 

I've only been able to get back to my grandfather's grandfather on his dad's side (where my last name comes from) because apparently many of the records for Pendlebury (outside Manchester UK) where destroyed in a flood of some sort. I've always known my grandfather's brother received a medal form the POTUS even though he served in the British Merchant Navy (I know because I have the medal) . It's something I'll pass down to my son when he is old enough. 

My mom's side is where I'd love to dig deep because I know my great grandfather was mobbed up, we don't know the whole story which is what I'd love to find out but we believe he was killed by Lucky Luciano, maybe not personally but Luciano might have ordered the hit. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Guest Dr. Dre
3 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

@Dr. Dre's mom looked at the geographic origin of his potential fathers and narrowed his DNA down to one of these locations

ethnicity-map-blobs.jpg

meanwhile Geneology responded to @roswellcoug's inquiry about his ancestry, and presented an archival photograph of the moment of his conception

34202476.jpg

20 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Yet you're perfectly comfortable with leaving large deposits of your DNA in Dre's mom on a frequent basis? 

Correct.  Remember, however, jizz only has 23 chromosomes, so she's not getting the full compliment of valuable VP97 seed. 

Ancestry put me 2 Genetic Communities:

Puerto Ricans in Northwest Puerto Rico & Germans in the Midwest. The first one is very likely but the second is not true, my ancestors migrated from Europe to the East Coast not the Midwest.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

3 hours ago, roswellcoug said:

9.5% of the average length?

I don't know, you tell me, how much of it were you able to get in your mouth?

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Guest Dr. Dre
14 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

Correct.  Remember, however, jizz only has 23 chromosomes, so she's not getting the full compliment of valuable VP97 seed. 

Enjoying FCS yet?

hahahahahahhaha

4 hours ago, roswellcoug said:

@Dr. Dre's mom looked at the geographic origin of his potential fathers and narrowed his DNA down to one of these locations

ethnicity-map-blobs.jpg

Start close, and work your way out.

whitepages.com - San Diego White Pages‎

#SiMeansJess

12667677.jpeg

10 hours ago, just_chris said:

That's incredible, yeah opening the history of your family is one amazing journey. Just on one branch of the tree I found that I had a 2nd great uncle who was blinded in the Battle of the Somme and was honored in Birkenhead (outside of Liverpool) by unveiling the WWI Memorial for the area. His name is forever inscribed on the memorial as having been the one to unveil it. I've also discovered another 2nd great uncle was knighted by the queen and his son actually served on a ship in WWII that was the basis for a movie that starred Steve McQueen although the story is a little sketchy as far as Hollywood goes. I've found many 2nd great aunts and uncles were born in Pakistan, and India due to my 3rd great grandfather serving in the British military. He fought in Ethiopia, Crimea and then in India. When I think about that it's amazing he wasn't killed. 

I've only been able to get back to my grandfather's grandfather on his dad's side (where my last name comes from) because apparently many of the records for Pendlebury (outside Manchester UK) where destroyed in a flood of some sort. I've always known my grandfather's brother received a medal form the POTUS even though he served in the British Merchant Navy (I know because I have the medal) . It's something I'll pass down to my son when he is old enough. 

My mom's side is where I'd love to dig deep because I know my great grandfather was mobbed up, we don't know the whole story which is what I'd love to find out but we believe he was killed by Lucky Luciano, maybe not personally but Luciano might have ordered the hit. 

The stuff on ancestry.com is amazing.  I was able to trace my ancestry as far back as the 1400s.

23 minutes ago, kalua pig said:

i tried like you said,and now i got 3% pig and 1% cockaroach.

You suppose to brush your teeth first, it probably picked up some DNA from what you ate last

On 4/19/2017 at 3:18 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I just had mine done for future health problems. All I had was the type 2 blood clot defect which is pretty common. IIRC the type 5 is the more serious one. No Alzheimers or any of that chit. They have a part about ancestry and it showed I'm 94.7% Hawaiian. No, I don't remember. It did say that I don't have Neanderthal in me. The previous ones I've done had me as mostly English and German with a little American Indian. I'm a mutt like everyone else.

I always pegged you as more Denesovanian.

I haven't gone through the test due to the privacy concerns that come with all of the things they ask you to agree to.

That being said, I've gone back far enough on my dad's side of the family to discover that my ancestors were members of the Sons of Liberty in Boston, and the even further back, we were minor royalty in early England as well as the forebearers of the Stuarts of Scotland. I'm working on the other side of my dad's family right now, as there's rumor that we're actually a distant part of the royal family of Sweden.