Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RogueStout

Interesting Article out of U of I's paper regarding Athletics and subsidies

Guest Dr. Dre
Just now, Slapdad said:

You're right....but SDSU also played Idaho that year. And two other times. 

no, no. they ran train on your sister that year. And two other times.

1 minute ago, Dr. Dre said:

no, no. they ran train on your sister that year. And two other times.

yes.

25 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Was hoping to stoke up a discussion about something we rarely talk about as college sports fans; do sports contribute at all or are they simply a leeching? Seems like the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

I think they leech.  Who really turns a profit?  Like 15 schools?  20?  

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

22 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

First thing daddy said when you were born, right?

The correct answer to that question wld be to ask Dre's dad that question. But good luck 1) finding him and 2) getting him to admit it that he engaged in coitus with Dre's mom.

#EvenTranniesHaveSomeSelfRespect 

12667677.jpeg

25 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

I think they're important from a PR and alumni engagement standpoint.

I think that's the benefit.  I think overall they pay for themselves at a lot of schools because it keeps alumni engaged, donating, etc.  But they don't pay for themselves up front, it seems.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Dre said:

yer WORTHLESS. Thats why.

That's why...

they're about to get evicted out of their stadium?

That's why they're begging to crash on Soccer Faig's couch?

#MLSsBltch

12667677.jpeg

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Was hoping to stoke up a discussion about something we rarely talk about as college sports fans; do sports contribute at all or are they simply a leeching? Seems like the truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Discussion?  On this board?  Those days are years in the past, now.  What you get here is a bunch of prissy edgelords whinging like +++++ing 10-year-olds.  It's +++++ing embarrasing, for the oldest sports messageboard on the 'net.  The culture here is now shit.

3 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Discussion?  On this board?  Those days are years in the past, now.  What you get here is a bunch of prissy edgelords whinging like +++++ing 10-year-olds.  It's +++++ing embarrasing, for the oldest sports messageboard on the 'net.  The culture here is now shit.

That was actually what got me so interested in this board when I first stumbled across it about 10 years ago. Yeah there was rivalry smack and a couple a holes, but the people posting knew so much about college sports and academia in general. I enjoyed the dialogue and learning and speculating.

Miss that.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

5 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Pretty much agree.  I spend a lot less time on here then in the old days when real discussion and thought exchange took place and not just trolling and baiting.  Sometimes better discussion on the non-sports side frankly.

I still have hope but meh

2 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Wow, it doesn't get much more softball than this.  Correct, Idaho's Athletic Department is not profitable.  In fact, none of the MWC athletic departments are profitable and everyone needs subsidies to make ends meet.  Idaho, by most recent reports, receives a $10,583,477 subsidy to bridge the gap between revenue and expenses.  Every MWC school not named Nevada requires a higher subsidy than Idaho.  Here's something for everyone to consider when they start casting stones & shit:

BSU Subsidy: $12,427,533 *cough* hypocrisy *cough*

SJSU Subsidy: $18,093,953

SDSU Subsidy: $23,974,887

Hawaii Subsidy: $17,602,267

Wyoming Subsidy: $16,052,913

CSU Subsidy: $20,412,573 + Scoreboard

Nevada Subsidy: $9,444,623

USU Subsidy: $16,467,464

Air Force Subsidy: $34,078,719

Fresno Subsidy: $14,222,181

UNLV Subsidy: $19,253,673 + Scoreboard

If you look at subsidy compared to percentage of budget, UI and SJSU need to drop down.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

3 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

Wow, it doesn't get much more softball than this.  Correct, Idaho's Athletic Department is not profitable.  In fact, none of the MWC athletic departments are profitable and everyone needs subsidies to make ends meet.  Idaho, by most recent reports, receives a $10,583,477 subsidy to bridge the gap between revenue and expenses.  Every MWC school not named Nevada requires a higher subsidy than Idaho.  Here's something for everyone to consider when they start casting stones & shit:

I wonder why UNLV has double the subsidy of Nevada?

40 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

If you look at subsidy compared to percentage of budget, UI and SJSU need to drop down.

If you look at it that way, but that isn't really a rational way to look at it.

3 hours ago, VandalPride97 said:

What's New Mexico's subsidy?

8 minutes ago, bigd said:

I wonder why UNLV has double the subsidy of Nevada?

Vegas' subsidy is a larger percentage than Nevada's because of T&M and simply because it has more students. But there is NO WAY IN HELL Nevada receives $9m or Vegas receives $19m. These numbers are a joke. The newspapers in Nevada would have gone ape chit if either school was receiving that money with the budget cuts they experienced.

Guest Dr. Dre
59 minutes ago, VandalPride97 said:

He's right Dre.  Get your shit together.

no he's not. Get your tramp of a mom off the streets.