Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

First Dreamer Deported

20 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

So is it hard to believe the border patrol did any due diligence before dumping him back over the border. 

"In a statement to NBC News, Customs and Border Patrol spokesperson Ralph A. Desio said, "Juan Manuel Montes Bojorquez was apprehended by the Calexico Station Border Patrol after illegally entering the U.S. by climbing over the fence in downtown Calexico. He was arrested by BP just minutes after he made his illegal entry and admitted under oath during the arrest interview that he had entered illegally."

Illegal immigrants caught crossing the border illegally are required to receive due diligence. We've been apprehending and releasing back to Mexico forever. This isn't anything special. Only just recently under the Obama administration have we started documenting the apprehensions and labeling them deportations.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

7 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

"In a statement to NBC News, Customs and Border Patrol spokesperson Ralph A. Desio said, "Juan Manuel Montes Bojorquez was apprehended by the Calexico Station Border Patrol after illegally entering the U.S. by climbing over the fence in downtown Calexico. He was arrested by BP just minutes after he made his illegal entry and admitted under oath during the arrest interview that he had entered illegally."

Illegal immigrants caught crossing the border illegally are required to receive due diligence. We've been apprehending and releasing back to Mexico forever. This isn't anything special. Only just recently under the Obama administration have we started documenting the apprehensions and labeling them deportations.

I think he was caught crossing back in AFTER he was first deported. 

So no, he wasn't deported the first time because he was just caught crossing the border illegally.

11 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

So no, he wasn't deported the first time because he was just caught crossing the border illegally.

A few of the articles I read only state the fence hopping incident. Makes a little more sense now. Still little to no details about the 1st apprehension.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

11 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

His DACA status expired in 2015 and he was notified. Even without physical identification on his person, that is all in a database and can be verified without an id card......DACA includes bio-metrics, which includes photo, signature and electronic fingerprints. Say he was detained and found to be in the U.S. without a valid DACA extension...is it unreasonable to expect him to be in Mexico in 3 hours? I mean, are we now to the point where we are offended when a government official works expediently? How long should they keep him? A day? Two days? They had is info and he wasn't up to date, regardless of where his ID was. If I went to Mexico without an ID and go stopped, I'd be in a Mexican jail within three hours. 

16 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

It is the law of the land, it should be enforced.    Being upset that Trumps policy is to enforce existing law seems pretty stupid.

If democrats didn't like the law of the land they should have changed it.  Instead of using it as a political issue.

Republicans have twice tried to change the law and failed because of democratic party games.  This is the democrats fault and specifically Obama's fault.

The only (minor) caveat I have is that if you don't have the resources to enforce all laws immediately, you are necessarily going to pick ones of higher import. Deporting 10 million people... yeah we don't have the resources for that.

However, as you say, it's the legislature's fault. It's also the electorate's fault. Why are we marching to keep a bureacratic guideline and not true reform? Why have the last two lame duck presidents, on both sides of the aisle, proposed more or less the same reforms only to be shot down by the congress? Why are we supporting a broken system of outdated laws that are checked by bullshit paper shuffling and not working on reforming the laws at least a bit? How is DACA not just codified into law?

Happycamper for dictator, April 2019-July 2019

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

You say "we". Are you part of ICE?

His lawyers state the law about the eligibility of DREAMERS:

"(7) have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors,"

https://www.nilc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/FOIA-Complaint-JMMB-2017-04-18.pdf

and then describe his criminal background: 

"Mr. Montes has had minor traffic offenses and a single misdemeanor offense, none of which would have disqualified Mr. Montes from DACA."

So theft is not a "significant misdemeanor"? And none of his three driving without a license charges was a misdemeanor? 

4 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

His lawyers state the law about the eligibility of DREAMERS:

"(7) have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors,"

https://www.nilc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/FOIA-Complaint-JMMB-2017-04-18.pdf

and then describe his criminal background: 

"Mr. Montes has had minor traffic offenses and a single misdemeanor offense, none of which would have disqualified Mr. Montes from DACA."

So theft is not a "significant misdemeanor"? And none of his three driving without a license charges was a misdemeanor? 

Univision reported that Mexico deports 9 out of 10 illegal immigrants who cross the border into Mexico, including 85% of children they pick up, yet when the U.S. deports a fraction of that back to Mexico, it turns into a global crisis. I'm sure it sucks to be deported, but they have every opportunity to go through the proper channels to come here. 

10 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Bullshit, the story is in the freaking USA Today.  Sorry man, the whole thing doesn't pass the smell test.  You're telling me they deported some kid without letting him get his wallet to show his ID?  And of course, it's some poor shy kid that has had brain surgery.  Who paid for his brain surgery btw?  His illegal parents that "are lying low".  

This story is very hard to believe as written in the link.

Are his parents quoted?   No they are not.   The quotes are from immigrant rights activists.   

Im guessing like most things the truth is in the middle.   I'm certain the kid isn't blameless but I doubt ICE is either.  

8 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Are his parents quoted?   No they are not.   The quotes are from immigrant rights activists.   

Im guessing like most things the truth is in the middle.   I'm certain the kid isn't blameless but I doubt ICE is either.  

How is ICE to blame for upholding the law? Laws that are similar to those other countries, including Mexico, has in place? 

3 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

You say we do I assume you work for ice.  What happens if a US citizen hops the fence to visit a friend on the other side? 

11 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Univision reported that Mexico deports 9 out of 10 illegal immigrants who cross the border into Mexico, including 85% of children they pick up, yet when the U.S. deports a fraction of that back to Mexico, it turns into a global crisis. I'm sure it sucks to be deported, but they have every opportunity to go through the proper channels to come here. 

Because enforcing immigration laws is racist! :rolleyes:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Because enforcing immigration laws is racist! :rolleyes:

Given our track record...

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, Slapdad said:

How is ICE to blame for upholding the law? Laws that are similar to those other countries, including Mexico, has in place? 

No I blame ICE for not following due process and verifying if the kid was a registered dreamer.  I've seen nothing that doesn't counter they caught him, processed him with minimal checking and sent him to Mexico.

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

No I blame ICE for not following due process and verifying if the kid was a registered dreamer.  I've seen nothing that doesn't counter they caught him, processed him with minimal checking and sent him to Mexico.

You're assuming that they didn't verify it. As I said in an earlier post, DACA includes an electronic profile with photo, signature and bio-metric finger printing that can be verified in a few minutes....no physical ID is needed to do that. They run it, verify that his extension expired in 2015 and put him on a bus. Do they need to keep him around so he can have a few free meals or, worse yet, off himself while in custody, igniting an even bigger firestorm? I commend them for getting shit done and moving on.

18 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Is this Trump's policy?  It reads like it isn't. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this individual Border Patrol agent picked up the special red phone and called Trump directly to ask if he should deport him.

Then again, maybe this actually is Trump's policy and he lied... wouldn't be totally surprising. 

3 hours ago, Slapdad said:

His DACA status expired in 2015 and he was notified. Even without physical identification on his person, that is all in a database and can be verified without an id card......DACA includes bio-metrics, which includes photo, signature and electronic fingerprints. Say he was detained and found to be in the U.S. without a valid DACA extension...is it unreasonable to expect him to be in Mexico in 3 hours? I mean, are we now to the point where we are offended when a government official works expediently? How long should they keep him? A day? Two days? They had is info and he wasn't up to date, regardless of where his ID was. If I went to Mexico without an ID and go stopped, I'd be in a Mexican jail within three hours. 

And government systems are never messed up.  If he said he was DACA he should have had the opportunity to call someone and produce his papers.

30 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

And government systems are never messed up.  If he said he was DACA he should have had the opportunity to call someone and produce his papers.

And which papers would he produce? The ones that didn't exist or the ones that expired in 2015? It sounds to me like he went to Mexicali and didn't have the correct paperwork or none at all to re-enter the US. They stopped him and sent him back across the border and he tried to sneak in a few days later. If he does, in fact, have the paperwork, why not call his friend and get it before a period of a few days has passed, then re-enter the U.S.? Of course, I don't know that this is what transpired, but it is the most plausible explanation from all the accounts that I've read. At any rate, if he he has the proper paperwork, why is he still not in the U.S.??? This happened on February 19. Certainly that is enough time to get his paperwork from his friend's car?

"His attorney claims Montes was walking to a taxi stand in Calexico, California, on February 17 when he was stopped by a Border Patrol agent who asked him for ID. Montes said he'd left it in a friend's car, but swore he lived in the US legally as a DREAMer. Regardless, immigration officials allegedly tossed him in a squad car, drove him to the station, and then walked him across the border to Mexico—all within the span of a few hours. Montes claims he never saw a lawyer, was never given a reason, and never got a chance to search for his work permit, according to the lawsuit.

Homeland Security, however, says that incident never happened, admitting only that agents deported Montes on February 19 after he tried to enter the US from Mexico, which Montes admitted to doing a few days after he claims he was sent back. DHS claims that it notified him then that his DACA status had expired back in 2015. Montes's lawyers argue that he renewed his status in 2016, which doesn't expire until 2018. "

53 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Was this guy a citizen? DACA is about exercising "prosecutorial discretion" to decide not to deport someone otherwise deportable. Doubt DACA gives substantive rights.  

Maybe they decided the 3rd driving without a license charge was one too many. DACA is about discretion - DACA peeps know they have to be on their best behavior to keep from being deported.