Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SJSUMFA2013

Is it too early to make football predictions?

It's obviously way too early for this, but here's how I see the football season playing out:

Mountain

1. Colorado State - the Rams should have the best team they've had in awhile. They showed steady improvement last season with a young team, and that's usually a sign of good things to come the following year.

2. Boise State - 8 wins and a second place finish is enough to get Harsin fired. Boise fans are spoiled.

3. Wyoming - they were fun last year and should be competitive as long as Allen stays healthy. 

4. New Mexico - should have a good team again but tough to compete in this division. Lobo fans should be happy with 6 wins and a bowl game.

5. Air Force - I seem to always lowball AFA, but they lose several key seniors. I don't see them getting by any of the above teams.

6. Utah State - Wells really effed up a good situation that he inherited. The aggies will be looking for a new coach by seasons end.

West

1. San Diego State - the undisputed king of the west. No one else comes close. It will be tough to determine how good they really are as they plow through the division. I'd expect a step back without pumphrey though.

2. UNLV - don't get too excited. Second place in the west is still probably a 5-7 team.

3. Nevada - they're only slightly less trash than the rest of the division.

4. Hawaii - I think they're going to drop off. Not that last year was a fluke, but they played way above their heads a bunch of times. Wouldn't be surprised to see a step back in Rolo's 2nd year.

5. Fresno State - 3 wins maybe? Should see immediate improvement under Tedford. 

6. San Jose State - gonna be a rough one. New coach, brutal schedule, glaring weaknesses on both lines, and a smoldering crater left behind by Ron "were we favored" Caragher. I hope Brennan has the stones to weather this season though because he's exactly the kind of young, enthusiastic, community-minded coach who can finally resurrect this program. 

I think we're looking at 5 bowl teams, with only one (sdsu) from the west. 

A csu-sdsu ccg should be fun, but I worry that the west division will lag behind the mountain for several years until the big 12 annexes csu and unlv and the rest of us join the big sky.

We don't have our spring game until the 29th. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

The OP has been good enough to admit his team is going to be awful so we shouldn't criticize him.

We CAN, however, criticize his new coach. Word is the guy's personality is as annoying as PJ Fleck. Granted SJSU shouldn't have hired another guy who sleep walks through a game but somewhere there's a happy medium. I particularly love Brennan's bio on the SJSU webpage where it says he coached this guy at Cal Poly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerramy_Stevens Note that Stevens never played at Cal Poly. Also note that Stevens is one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever put on pads. Coaching that guy is sure something to brag about.

Boom goes the dynamite.

We've already had similar threads, and we'll have them again and again and again before the season begins. And my answer will stay the same, SJSU will win five games, (including another one over FresNeck).

57 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The OP has been good enough to admit his team is going to be awful so we shouldn't criticize him.

We CAN, however, criticize his new coach. Word is the guy's personality is as annoying as PJ Fleck. Granted SJSU shouldn't have hired another guy who sleep walks through a game but somewhere there's a happy medium. I particularly love Brennan's bio on the SJSU webpage where it says he coached this guy at Cal Poly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerramy_Stevens Note that Stevens never played at Cal Poly. Also note that Stevens is one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever put on pads. Coaching that guy is sure something to brag about.

Fleck is a douche but you can't argue with the results.

The bio is actually riddled with errors. He coached Stevens at Washington in 99 before moving on to cal poly where he coached receivers and worked with the Ramses Barton.

coaches always try to take credit for player success. That's nothing new.  

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

I predict that SJSU will not start their North End Zone improvement project this year. 

We also won't score many touchdowns in either end zone. Caragher left a real runny shit behind on his way out of town.

56 minutes ago, crixus said:

We've already had similar threads, and we'll have them again and again and again before the season begins. And my answer will stay the same, SJSU will win five games, (including another one over FresNeck).

Idk man 5 wins seems really optimistic to me. The only wins I feel comfortable predicting are cal poly and Fresno. I think you're really underestimating the burnt-out warehouse Caragher left behind.

12 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Why so late? It's almost a summer game.

I think part of it is the change in coaching staff. I'd guess they wanted to get their feet under them before the game. But that's more of a guess than anything. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It's obviously way too early for this, but here's how I see the football season playing out:

Mountain

1. Colorado State - the Rams should have the best team they've had in awhile. They showed steady improvement last season with a young team, and that's usually a sign of good things to come the following year.

2. Boise State - 8 wins and a second place finish is enough to get Harsin fired. Boise fans are spoiled.

3. Wyoming - they were fun last year and should be competitive as long as Allen stays healthy. 

4. New Mexico - should have a good team again but tough to compete in this division. Lobo fans should be happy with 6 wins and a bowl game.

5. Air Force - I seem to always lowball AFA, but they lose several key seniors. I don't see them getting by any of the above teams.

6. Utah State - Wells really effed up a good situation that he inherited. The aggies will be looking for a new coach by seasons end.

West

1. San Diego State - the undisputed king of the west. No one else comes close. It will be tough to determine how good they really are as they plow through the division. I'd expect a step back without pumphrey though.

2. UNLV - don't get too excited. Second place in the west is still probably a 5-7 team.

4. Hawaii - I think they're going to drop off. Not that last year was a fluke, but they played way above their heads a bunch of times. Wouldn't be surprised to see a step back in Rolo's 2nd year.

6. San Jose State - gonna be a rough one. New coach, brutal schedule, glaring weaknesses on both lines, and a smoldering crater left behind by Ron "were we favored" Caragher. I hope Brennan has the stones to weather this season though because he's exactly the kind of young, enthusiastic, community-minded coach who can finally resurrect this program. 

A csu-sdsu ccg should be fun, but I worry that the west division will lag behind the mountain for several years until the big 12 annexes csu and unlv and the rest of us join the big sky.

Not sure why you continue to say that the OL has glaring weaknesses... four returning, two year starters.. it may be the best unit, along with the DBs.... now the DL, yes, likely where SJS will suffer again-stopping the run. But Fresno better, hahahahaha.....

6 minutes ago, creeper86 said:

Not sure why you continue to say that the OL has glaring weaknesses... four returning, two year starters.. it may be the best unit, along with the DBs.... now the DL, yes, likely where SJS will suffer again-stopping the run. But Fresno better, hahahahaha.....

Fresno does suck but they get winnable games at home. I think our long term future is brighter than theirs but as far as 2017 is concerned, I'm marking them down for 3 wins and us for 2. It's still only April though. 

Im not sure why it's a good thing that we return those starters. They've never played well. Some of that might have been poor coaching, but unless I see evidence to the contrary, i don't expect them to start now.

Brennan has a steep hill to climb. Caragher set the program back significantly. I think we'll start to see gains in 2018 and beyond. 

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Look, I'm not a huge fan of fake energy, too loose a style, gimmicks etc.... but, he's really anything but annoying-he's actually very engaging and knows what he's doing-especially bringing back the football alum.  And, when you see more spring game attendance than you have had in recent memory, we'll gladly accept the change and hope it results in wins... 'different' may be exactly what SJSU needs and hopefully what the City of SJ is looking for.  It's a good, albeit way to early start.. but we'll take Fleck like wins even if it requires the "new style" of coach, Rocky Long being the ultimate old style.

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Fresno does suck but they get winnable games at home. I think our long term future is brighter than theirs but as far as 2017 is concerned, I'm marking them down for 3 wins and us for 2. It's still only April though. 

Im not sure why it's a good thing that we return those starters. They've never played well. Some of that might have been poor coaching, but unless I see evidence to the contrary, i don't expect them to start now.

Brennan has a steep hill to climb. Caragher set the program back significantly. I think we'll start to see gains in 2018 and beyond. 

Not sure how you can say they've never played well.... sacks, etc, can't really be taken into consideration when you had a QB who would rather run around than get the ball out on time.  It's that DL, and 3-5 may be what the season brings, we'll see in 4 months.

How did Hawaii play "way above their heads"? Just because Chow showed how not to coach a team? The team always lacked a solid QB under Chow even with decent surrounding talent. Dru Brown who Rolo recruited ended up being the "solid" QB the team needed.

The team was good enough to beat most bad teams (SJSU, Fresno, Nevada, UMass, UT-Martin), compete with average-good teams (New Mexico, AFA, MTSU), lose against teams with deeper depth and talent (Michigan, Cal, Arizona, Boise, SDSU) and have just one bad loss in UNLV.

It was Rolo's first season and his coaching style and the starting players changed as the season went on. It wasnt an amazing season (7-7 can't be considered that) but it's definitely a solid season with many players Rolo didn't recruit for his Offense and Defense.

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Mountain

West

played above their heads, you crazy! we loss 2 games we should have won because of stupid mistakes (fumbles) in the 4th quarter. we actually played below our heads the first few games of the season. we got rolling late in the season and climaxed in our bowl game. we didn't lose anyone important and patched some holes with some JC recruits. I think we finish 2nd again and once again kick the shit out of Nevada, Fresno St and San Jose St.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.