Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fanhood

TV contracts for the AAC

Guest Dr. Dre
18 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Honestly, I truly believe that SDSU could get its own TV contract with Fox Sports (similar to BYU with ESPN), and could make significantly more money than the current $1.5M that the MWC schools get.

I recall that SDSU had a Fox Sports San Diego deal, or something, a few years back.  I think Fox would be happy to get SDSU and put you on FS1 and FS2, since I believe that SDSU will be growing in popularity now that the Chargers are leaving.   But while SDSU and FOX make sense, I'm not sure that the rest of the MWC makes sense for Fox.  

Who knows... Maybe the MWC will decide that every school can keep their own TV rights the next go around.  There might be more money and exposure that way.

17 hours ago, AztecSU said:

A couple of things. Fox Sports still has a channel dedicated exclusively to San Diego, Fox Sports San Diego. FSSD produces high quality weekly shows for both Men's BB and FB during the season, and if not for our current TV contract would likely purchase tier 3 SDSU content. Last season SDSU football had the 2 highest rated CFB games broadcast in the metro. And finally, SDSU recently contracted with Fox Sports College Properties to manage our multimedia rights. 

Will SDSU go indy? Seems unlikely to me honestly, especailly if our Tier3 rights are returned to us after the next contract negotiation. If we do go indy however it will be Fox who facilitates such an action. 

17 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Interesting.  Your exposure would be a lot better on FSSD than CBS Sports.

SDSU should look out for its own interests.  Which probably means arguing to the entire MWC that SDSU should be allowed to retain ownership of its TV rights, while remaining a member of the MWC.  It is not an unprecedented demand (Boise and Hawaii).

SDSU has everything to gain with keeping its own TV rights.   But I think some of the MWC might vote against this, because they fear it would lower their own TV payout.  When CBS Sports, etc, are bidding on the MWC, they are really just bidding on a few schools, in larger TV markets, or with large followings (like Boise).

The upcoming TV deal and what is offered to SDSU is VERY imortant to our staying in this conference, IMO. The MWC better give up the goods like @VandalPride97's mom when the Carl Vinson comes to port, or we're gone. We'd make more going it alone than the pittance distributed to us now.

4 hours ago, Dr. Dre said:

The upcoming TV deal and what is offered to SDSU is VERY imortant to our staying in this conference, IMO. The MWC better give up the goods like @VandalPride97's mom when the Carl Vinson comes to port, or we're gone. We'd make more going it alone than the pittance distributed to us now.

Not sure SDSU would want it but if you found a place for football I am sure that the WCC would gladly take you in the Olympic sports.  The payout in the WCC would probably be close to what you are getting in the MWC currently.

I would imagine a local Fox tv football deal would be over $1.5m.  And I am sure ESPN and CBS may buy a game or two as well. 

If Hawaii and SDSU both went indy along with BYU the scheduling becomes easier for all involved.

2 minutes ago, suralexander said:

Not sure SDSU would want it but if you found a place for football I am sure that the WCC would gladly take you in the Olympic sports. 

That would seem ideal from SDSU's perspective, but isn't the WCC already over their skis having BYU in the Conference? I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination with regards to the WCC, so I really don't know. Just seems at a glance that would be a huge stretch from their profile bringing in a massive state school. 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Guest #1Stunner
17 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

That would seem ideal from SDSU's perspective, but isn't the WCC already over their skis having BYU in the Conference? I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination with regards to the WCC, so I really don't know. Just seems at a glance that would be a huge stretch from their profile bringing in a massive state school. 

I think BYU would be all in favor of admitting SDSU to the WCC.  But I doubt the majority of WCC schools would want SDSU.   Especially USD.  

I think they'd be against adding a State school that they couldn't compete with.

So SDSU would probably have to join the Big West, like it did before. 

On 4/19/2017 at 11:38 AM, #1Stunner said:

SDSU has everything to gain with keeping its own TV rights.   But I think some of the MWC might vote against this, because they fear it would lower their own TV payout.

Ya think?

Just because when CBSSports gets its sloppy seconds after ESPN has made its choice for the week that CBSS almost always picks the SDSU game?

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 4/19/2017 at 0:06 PM, #1Stunner said:

Maybe Hair can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get a deal with Fox.

For the love of God, Hair doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground..  Guy is far to incompetent to do anything other than be steamrolled by ESPN and whored out to CBS Sports...

To bad Dr. Bob won't get off his ass and head TV negotiations for the MW via a temporary conference initiative, signed off on by BSU..

......but nope, it's Hair, folks...

New-Signature.jpg

Guest Dr. Dre
18 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Both are too optimistic.  Good luck with that.  There's no recent precedent to support such large payday increases for G5 conferences.

more predeictions from YOU? I figure you'd learn your lesson after your completely embarrassing byu to the Big XII guaranteed laugher.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dre said:

more predeictions from YOU? I figure you'd learn your lesson after your completely embarrassing byu to the Big XII guaranteed laugher.

Yes, horribly embarrassing...  so do you have an example of a G5 getting a significant bump?

v0icAvfW.jpg

Guest Dr. Dre
Just now, NorCalCoug said:

Yes, horribly embarrassing...  

chest puffed out, egg on the face, then backpedaling embarrassing. yes

Guest Dr. Dre
Just now, NorCalCoug said:

Can hardly sleep at night, the embarrassment is too overwhelming!

well, it should be. top 10 fails of this board.

32 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Both are too optimistic.  Good luck with that.  There's no recent precedent to support such large payday increases for G5 conferences.

I actually don't disagree with you on this point.

However, to Dre's point, shouldn't you be out of the prediction business?

47 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

We can't all be as smart as you and Dr "yer mom" Dre.  Good luck on the next TV contract.

As long as you acknowledge that you were embarrassingly wrong, Im good with it.

4 minutes ago, fanhood said:

As long as you acknowledge that you were embarrassingly wrong, Im good with it.

I acknowledge that my "BYU is in!!!" crusade went completely over the head of you and a handful of others but clearly accomplished its primary objective.

v0icAvfW.jpg

So I guess with the announcement espn is laying off more employees, the AAC and MWC won't be expecting an increase in tv money. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, mugtang said:

So I guess with the announcement espn is laying off more employees, the AAC and MWC won't be expecting an increase in tv money. 

Many on this board are expecting it and will be disappointed.  Like I said before, recent TV negotiations haven't ended well for non-power conferences.  I don't know why some folks here expect something different for the MWC.  And to be fair, I'm not expecting anything better for BYU when they renegotiate their terms with ESPN here in a bit either.

v0icAvfW.jpg

Just now, mugtang said:

I don't' think that's how it works...TV contracts make money and offer inventory...employees do not.

again, cutting the MWC and AAC won't get them anything as we both already work for peanuts...I mean, how does saving a few hundred thousand help when you're paying the Big XII 30 million per team?

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

Yes, horribly embarrassing...  so do you have an example of a G5 getting a significant bump?

Sure.  Boise went from making 125k in the WAC it's last year to 3 mil in the MWC.

BYU saw a good jump as well for a G5.