Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Teeing off

18 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Conservatives don't believe this. They want to regulate who can and cannot get married, the ability to discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation, increased regulations on personal freedoms, and a number of other items.

"Liberals" don't believe this. They want to regulate what you can and can't eat, increased federal regulations on personal freedoms, and a whole host of other items.

My prescription for "installing" the NAP is that everyone should treat each other equally. Nobody should discriminate against each other based on what their beliefs are, their sexual orientation, their race, their gender, or anything else. The equal protection clause in the 14th Amendment should apply to everyone, not just the groups that the right and left want it to. That doesn't make me a "liberal", it makes me a libertarian. It's quite clear that you're among the group that labels everyone that doesn't adhere to the GOP or "conservative" way of thinking as a "liberal". 

My socioeconomic beliefs are significantly different than those that the Democrats or those on the left believe in. They're also divergent, though less so, from those that the GOP or those on the right believe in. 

Let me live my life, and I'll let you live yours. 

You're somewhat right, but somewhat wrong.  I am conservative.  I (along with a large amount) don't give two chits about gay marriage, but we don't want to be forced into performing gay weddings out our church.  A liberal would argue that we are discriminating.

I would argue that abortion infringes on the right to ones life, you may (or may not, IDK) argue that it infringes on ones' rights.

Liberals would argue that the 2nd Amendment infringes on their (non existent) right to safety.  I would argue that the 2nd Amendment is in place to battle tyrannical governments, and if Trump and Co. can own a decked out Blackhawk chopper, so can I and Michael Moore doesn't need to know about it.

The idea that a laissez faire type of stance is admirable is why the libertarian party will always be a pipe dream.