FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

3 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

My sources are telling me that Thompson is really driving home the point that the MWC needs to bring Texas into the union. With possible defections on the horizon, combined with underwhelming football AND basketball performance (as well as future media contracts benefitting by including a good share of the Texas market), his rationale makes a lot of sense.

Who would you rather have on the Eastern MWC flank? Rice? Texas State? UTEP? UTSA? UNT? There may be a push that any 2 of those additions would take a haircut, so they don't take away any revenue from Boise. Thompson let it be known to Bob Kustra that their share would not change at all. "Not one dime" is the verbage being used.

This makes a lot of sense in light of the new media options were hearing, with alternatives like YouTube and the like. Grabbing the Houston and San Antonio markets (for instance) would make the MWC portfolio more valuable by a significant margin.

Competitively speaking, the MWC has nothing to lose and a lot to gain. RECRUITING TEXAS would help out the poor performance we've all been witnessing immensely. I've been told that Craig Bohl is very excited about opening up the spigot into Texas recruiting.

This is also a pre-emptive strike against losing certain members to the AAC. It can be argued that losing Air Force and Colorado State can be mitigated by gaining ground in Texas (where there would be a HUGE net gain in population.. i.e, eyeballs to TV sets). A school like Rice also adds to the MWC academic profile and has a very good basketball team. They would be the Stanford of the MWC.

So, for media reasons, competitive reasons, recruiting reasons, survival, this is a solid strategy. There was a reason that raising exit fees was voted down. The MWC has always had a problem with sparsely populated territory. This issue needs to be addressed and it will be.  

I wouldn't use Dre's Mama as a source. She's let us down before.

• Like 3

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Nothing is going to happen with expansion right now unless one of the big conferences move and the only big conference that would move is Big 12 and they aren't going to move anytime soon unless something major changes. However Rice, UTEP, and most of the other Texas teams don't add anything to the MWC profile 

Guest #1Stunner
5 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

My sources are telling me that Thompson is really driving home the point that the MWC needs to bring Texas into the union. With possible defections on the horizon, combined with underwhelming football AND basketball performance (as well as future media contracts benefitting by including a good share of the Texas market), his rationale makes a lot of sense.

Who would you rather have on the Eastern MWC flank? Rice? Texas State? UTEP? UTSA? UNT? There may be a push that any 2 of those additions would take a haircut, so they don't take away any revenue from Boise. Thompson let it be known to Bob Kustra that their share would not change at all. "Not one dime" is the verbage being used.

This makes a lot of sense in light of the new media options were hearing, with alternatives like YouTube and the like. Grabbing the Houston and San Antonio markets (for instance) would make the MWC portfolio more valuable by a significant margin.

Competitively speaking, the MWC has nothing to lose and a lot to gain. RECRUITING TEXAS would help out the poor performance we've all been witnessing immensely. I've been told that Craig Bohl is very excited about opening up the spigot into Texas recruiting.

This is also a pre-emptive strike against losing certain members to the AAC. It can be argued that losing Air Force and Colorado State can be mitigated by gaining ground in Texas (where there would be a HUGE net gain in population.. i.e, eyeballs to TV sets). A school like Rice also adds to the MWC academic profile and has a very good basketball team. They would be the Stanford of the MWC.

So, for media reasons, competitive reasons, recruiting reasons, survival, this is a solid strategy. There was a reason that raising exit fees was voted down. The MWC has always had a problem with sparsely populated territory. This issue needs to be addressed and it will be.  

I'm calling on Central Florida and Temple to join the MWC.

Is their actually truth to the idea that adding a Texas school = Better luck with Texas recruits. I've always questioned if it matters that much this day and age, though I've not seen any concrete evidence either way.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Is their actually truth to the idea that adding a Texas school = Better luck with Texas recruits. I've always questioned if it matters that much this day and age, though I've not seen any concrete evidence either way.

No. 

• Like 6

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

And some of the schools recruit Texas some already but most are in California recruiting.

Geographically UTEP might fit better in MWC than in Conference USA however other than that I really don't see anything they could contribute to MWC.

The one move I think would be more likely is Air Force saying they want to be independent for football

3 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

And some of the schools recruit Texas some already but most are in California recruiting.

Geographically UTEP might fit better in MWC than in Conference USA however other than that I really don't see anything they could contribute to MWC.

The one move I think would be more likely is Air Force saying they want to be independent for football

Air Force won't go independent in football. 

• Like 2

None of this matters. We'll be in the SEC in 2 years...book it

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

None of this matters. We'll be in the SEC in 2 years...book it

That's what I've heard as well. Mexico and the Central American colleges in those countries are looking for inclusion in American football. The South Equatorial Conference will have SDSU as a charter member.

Good fit by the way .?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zoomie said:

Air Force won't go independent in football. 

I didn't say they would, I am just saying at this point Air Force going independent probably better chance than expansion right now. And only using when they threatened leaving MWC if MWC wanted more conference games for football

With two pages of content, this "Former Frog" knobknocker is actually getting better at his trolling. He doesn't post enough to make the derby but this is a good way to up his game. 

• Like 1

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest Dr. Dre
19 hours ago, AztecSU said:

It's more likely that CSU, BSU, SDSU, and one other join the AAC and break the MW's back, than any thing in OP.

This. I know we're gone from this mess pending the new TV contract.