FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

Take it easy on the l Troll Boy folks.  After all, to TCU, a CBI championship is The Brass Ring.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

During Steve Fisher's radio interview last night among his answers to questions posed is that the Aztecs didn't play post-season basketball this year because they weren't worthy of playing in a tournament which matters to SDSU. While hearing that I thought the hosts of the show might ask about the CBI but they didn't. I assume they didn't because they either agreed the CBI doesn't matter or they have never heard of it. I wouldn't have expected them to have asked about the CIT because existence of that tournament didn't even occur to ME.

CBI = basketball equivalent of the Potato Bowl

CIT = Bahamas Bowl which nobody plays in except CUSA and SBC (I have absolutely no idea who runs the CIT and hope to keep it that way)

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

During Steve Fisher's radio interview last night among his answers to questions posed is that the Aztecs didn't play post-season basketball this year because they weren't worthy of playing in a tournament which matters to SDSU. While hearing that I thought the hosts of the show might ask about the CBI but they didn't. I assume they didn't because they either agreed the CBI doesn't matter or they have never heard of it. I wouldn't have expected them to have asked about the CIT because existence of that tournament didn't even occur to ME.

CBI = basketball equivalent of the Potato Bowl

CIT = Bahamas Bowl which nobody plays in except CUSA and SBC (I have absolutely no idea who runs the CIT and hope to keep it that way)

I heard fish address this issue in another interview.   He said you have to declare your interest in playing in these lower level tourneys  prior to the start of the season. if you don't, you're not on the invite list.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

33 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

I heard fish address this issue in another interview.   He said you have to declare your interest in playing in these lower level tourneys  prior to the start of the season. if you don't, you're not on the invite list.

Well, I not only don't think they expected they wouldn't at least qualify for the NIT, I don't think either before or after the season they had any interest in the CBI.

Boom goes the dynamite.

54 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

Burman noted that commitment to these tournaments had to be given early.  I didn't interpret what he said to mean prior to the start of the season, but certainly well before the season ended.  It might very well have been before the season.  Burman noted that the commitment included escape clauses should you receive an invite to the NCAA or NIT.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

8 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

I think some of yall are reading the wrong things into what I'm saying.

The MWC has the CBI Champion for two years running. I'm just saying don't take that lightly.

This is a tournament the MWC MUST have on lockdown.

You're absolutely correct.  Right on!!!!!!

The World Needs More Cowboys!

16 hours ago, FormerFrog said:

With Wyoming and Nevada being CBI Champions for the last 2 years, I think we're seeing a trend for the Mountain West.

I really hope that in the future, the MWC has more teams go to the CBI and CIT tournaments. College basketball is big business and eventually those tournaments will increase in stature.

At one time the NCAA tournament wasn't what the NIT tournament was. Then it passed it in prestige.

The MWC really needs to "cut its teeth" going forward in the post season, and with 1 bid in the NCAA tournament there isn't enough meat on the bone.

Fresno State almost won the CBI in 2014. Utah State was runner up in the CIT in 2012.

I think history will look back fondly on the MWC's legacy in those tournaments.

Every MWC team that gets a bid to said tournaments needs to play in them... and WIN.

This conference needs to keep hanging banners in its gyms to stay relevant. There are only 4 teams that end their season on a win.

CBI%20CHAMPIONS%20Tee%202017_Web%5B2%5D.CBI_Champs_400_Close.jpg

All right Frog, you're back and that's a hell of a rebound.  We've got a couple of weeks before the tourney, and I'm thinking with a little effort you can roll in as a #1 seed.  Need to continue to keep things casual, appearing as trying to be helpful, but still with the subtle backhanded disdain.  I've got money on you making the finals.  I've got someone else down as the champ (sorry, idiocy does tend to reign in these things), but I think we can get you to the title game anyway.

Stay focused, post daily, make each post count, and really research your opportunities.  You can do this.

We got this bro!!

FormerFrog's trolling is CBI tournament caliber. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Take it easy on the l Troll Boy folks.  After all, to TCU, a CBI championship is The Brass Ring.

Both SDSU and TCU have been to the NIT Final 4 in NYC in the last 2 years.

One team took home the trophy.  One choked.  Playing the same team, coincidently enough.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

Much like conference basketball challenges, it may be a boon to the MWC/CUSA to do a football challenge.

Many of you may not remember, because your teams were in the WAC at the time, but CUSA and the MWC used to have a Champions Game at the Liberty Bowl,

Fast Forward 10 Years and both conferences have mostly new teams!!

So, my thinking is this, having a "Challenge" Football Series with CUSA will get the MWC exposure in eastern time zones and markets that the MWC wouldn't ordinarily get.

Because its such a unique idea for football, that can drive interest because no one else is doing challenges during the regular season.

Create a Trophy for the conference that wins the series and you'll have tons of free promotion.

This could be the genesis of "The Alliance" that Pubic Hair Thompson was forming with CUSA.

K5md25.jpg

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

2 hours ago, RSF said:

Both SDSU and TCU have been to the NIT Final 4 in NYC in the last 2 years.

One team took home the trophy.  One choked.  Playing the same team, coincidently enough.

I guess that makes them a regular basketball juggernaut then.  I stand corrected.

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Of course another thing about a "MWCUSA Challenge" games is that they build a narrative for the MWC contract bowl games with CUSA.

Its advertising for the viewership of those games.

It doesn't only have to include football either. There should be a MWC vs CUSA challenge in basketball too.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

There's trolling and then there is playing with yourself in public...

please put your micro peen back in your pants and proceed to the nearest exit. United Airlines crew will collect you shortly. 

Congrats Mr Frog. You got all your threads combined into one.  You got the @ph90702 treatment.  Any new "MWC sucks" threads get merged into this one also.  Have a nice day. 

• Like 10

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater