FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

59 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Contraction, not expansion, is the answer.

The MWC and AAC are 2-bid leagues.  Far superior leagues, like the BIG EAST, get the benefit of the doubt with respect to getting Tourney Bids.  (this is why UConn desperately wants to leave the AAC for the Big East).  If the AAC continues to expand, it means more teams have to compete for the same 2 bids.

I give the AAC credit for adding Wichita now, though, as there is a real possibility of the Big East stealing their "blue blood" schools in a few years.  That would be UConn, and one other school with credible academics.  If Fox instructs the Big East to expand, you'll see some more realignment movement.

Agree on your first point although fans of the schools which have been mainly riding in the financial cart rather than pulling it certainly won't.

Some folks here criticize me for complaining so often about the continual demise of the MWC and I get that they don't want to hear it. However, I've yet to read a single post which legitimately rebuts my complaints. Frankly, although all non-power conferences have been diminishing in significance over the last 10 years, the MWC has probably fallen further than any of the other four.

That downward trend sure as hell isn't going to be slowed by adding schools with names like Rice, UTEP, Montana and North Dakota State. Funny how such potential additions seem to be brought up not by fans of the cart pullers but by fans of the cart riders. Are those fans just dumb? Hardly. Instead, although they are unlikely to admit it, they simply see the future of the MWC and it doesn't include the cart pullers.

Boom goes the dynamite.

25 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I repeat. 

The Temple Owls have a worse record than the Wyoming Cowboys since the Owls joined the AAC.  I'm shocked that you think there is a huge difference between a school like Temple, and most MWC schools. 

I thought the budget info was clear on that.

A school like Temple has an administration that will make necessary changes when needed.

The AAC is gonna be a meat grinder league with Wichita State in there. You're foolish if you don't see how performance parallels with budget

• Like 2

hTKgPYW.jpgt8rHyxq.gif

Hair should have been trying for Gonzaga, SMC, Wichita and maybe 2 others.  And when t.v. is up again try to get a separate deal between football and Oly.  Football is out the window with upgrading, adding those 3(+) would have been an attractive Basketball conference to negotiate with. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

What conference do you predict that Gonzaga will join?

I have no idea, but they are not content. They do not like the lack of effort by some schools in the WCC. I would think the ACC is possible with them being wise enough the shockers,  perhaps that is possible.

2 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I have no idea, but they are not content. They do not like the lack of effort by some schools in the WCC.

The MWC may have little chance of landing Gonzaga, but they have zero chance if they don't try.  I'm my opinion it would be a coup for the conference to land them. 

• Like 2
5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

1 minute ago, RiverCityBronco said:

The MWC may have little chance of landing Gonzaga, but they have zero chance if they don't try.  I'm my opinion it would be a coup for the conference to land them. 

I think our chance's would be better if we would have added the shockers, that was a no brainer imho.

1 minute ago, ole blu dude said:

I think our chance's would be better if we would have added the shockers, that was a no brainer imho.

I don't think the conference is far off from being attractive to Gonzaga.  If UNLV would just go back to being UNLV in basketball and UNM and SDSU would return to form then we are a pretty attractive conference.  Also throw in BYU as a non-football member, which they would do in a heartbeat if Gonzaga wasn't there anymore. 

5812325074_d6d40a5a2c_b.jpg

11 minutes ago, RiverCityBronco said:

I don't think the conference is far off from being attractive to Gonzaga.  If UNLV would just go back to being UNLV in basketball and UNM and SDSU would return to form then we are a pretty attractive conference.  Also throw in BYU as a non-football member, which they would do in a heartbeat if Gonzaga wasn't there anymore. 

You have very good points, we do need to be more forward looking in the future.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Former Frog is Stunner..He is an old hand at trolling whichever sock he uses..

The only "sock" I've ever had was Half Neslon (which I blame on my love of USU Ice Cream).

I long ago admitted to it.  And that "sock" has long since retired.  

Former Frog is a Temple fan, which he's previously admitted to.

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

Plus Wichita State is a public university which is reforming its football program.

The stupidity of the shot callers of this conference is just shocking (bad pun intended).

Craig Thompson: :rotflmfao:

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, RiverCityBronco said:

Most reasonable post of this thread... the MWC hit some down years & poor Coaches.  Time to fix those, and get back to work in growing the MWC.

• Like 1

Don't look now but most of our conference brethren let SJSU in when the two of us had a foot out the door. That would be the same SJSU which is not only below average at best in basketball but whose baseball team after being swept last weekend at SDSU is now a perfect 0-14 on the road in baseball.

Letting the Spartans in was a cluster**** and it's among the reasons the MWC has regressed in basketball. And I take offense to your lumping SDSU in with UNLV. We just had our worst team in a decade yet went 19-14. In contrast, Rebels basketball is a dumpster fire.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

need drives expansion.

WSU needs out of the MVC because they win 27-28 games and get stuck with #10/#11 seeds.

as long as Gonzaga can pull #1 and #2 seeds out of the WCC they have no need to leave.

that's why WSU wants out but Gonzaga is content.

That might not be entirely true. There have been a few comments coming out of Few this year about Gonzaga will do what is best for Gonzaga and didn't close the door about Gonzaga leaving WCC

Unless Thompson changes his mind about only having teams that all sports in the same conference which I think would include football not going to happen

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Don't look now but most of our conference brethren let SJSU in when the two of us had a foot out the door. That would be the same SJSU which is not only below average at best in basketball but whose baseball team after being swept last weekend at SDSU is now a perfect 0-14 on the road in baseball.

Thx for ur Honest assessment... SDSU & BSU are mostly responsible for that "go for the market size" slip up re SJSU.  Own your successes & failures. :)

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

That might not be entirely true. There have been a few comments coming out of Few this year about Gonzaga will do what is best for Gonzaga and didn't close the door about Gonzaga leaving WCC

I read Few as even more inclined toward that than you do since he repeated it just a couple weeks ago. According to some who know him, Few views the WCC as a conference containing several other schools with the capacity to have a brief run of success but which will inevitably fall back once a superstar player leaves. Few is known to love Gonzaga but just like Chris Petersen, it's probable he won't remain if the university can't get a significant promo.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Thx for ur Honest assessment... SDSU & BSU are mostly responsible for that "go for the market size" slip up re SJSU.  Own your successes & failures. :)

Right because SDSU and Boise were holding a gun to the head of the presidents of CSU, Wyoming, AFA, UNM, UNLV and Fresno.

Boom goes the dynamite.