FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

13 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

The mighty Hawaii that has had ONE winning season since joining the MWC. Lest you forget, Hawaii football has gone a whopping 18-46 since joining the MWC in 2012 (a spectacular 39% winning percentage). To anyone with half a brain cell it's clear that Hawaii has yet to live up to the level of competition it faces in the MWC. It's funny that you mention CSU and WYO, because both of which have the lead in their all-time record against Hawaii and both will beat you in 2017 (UNM could probably beat you too). You heard it here first! Mark your calendar because it's going to be a rough September for Hawaii football.

The one winning season also coincided with Hawaii hiring Nick Rolovich and getting rid of the trash (Norm Chow) who will go down in the same breath as Von Appen. Since the turn of the century Hawaii still has a positive winning percentage even with the desecrated years of the Chow era. Former coach Greg McMackin teams would have destroyed all of Norm Chow's teams even the worst of McMackins 6-7 team (2011) would have destroyed Chow's best 4-9 (2014) team. 

If things went Hawaii's way last year, two played ended up being the difference from Hawaii going 9-5 vs 7-7. Both games (UNLV & UNM) involved a fumble by our Offense looking to close out the game that ended being the game winning TD (UNM) and FG (UNLV) for the other team.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

The one winning season also coincided with Hawaii hiring Nick Rolovich and getting rid of the trash (Norm Chow) who will go down in the same breath as Von Appen. Since the turn of the century Hawaii still has a positive winning percentage even with the desecrated years of the Chow era. Former coach Greg McMackin teams would have destroyed all of Norm Chow's teams even the worst of McMackins 6-7 team (2011) would have destroyed Chow's best 4-9 (2014) team. 

If things went Hawaii's way last year, two played ended up being the difference from Hawaii going 9-5 vs 7-7. Both games (UNLV & UNM) involved a fumble by our Offense looking to close out the game that ended being the game winning TD (UNM) and FG (UNLV) for the other team.

I'm not knocking your guys' success last season. I think it's great that Hawaii football is on the upswing, should make for some more interesting MWC games in 2017. I just find it somewhat hysterical that there are people like Warbow who think you're on the brink of a P5 invite. Let's be real here, that's nowhere near being on the horizon. 

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

10 minutes ago, LaradiseCowboy said:

I'm not knocking your guys' success last season. I think it's great that Hawaii football is on the upswing, should make for some more interesting MWC games in 2017. I just find it somewhat hysterical that there are people like Warbow who think you're on the brink of a P5 invite. Let's be real here, that's nowhere near being on the horizon. 

Won-Loss records have nothing to do with having P-5 potential. Just ask Rutgers and Syracuse.  Lets be real here, there is only but a less than hand full of schools left in the mid majors that have any potential to move up with the big boys. Throw out the politics and there's maybe 5 schools that have the fan base, support and academics to even think about it.  BYU, Hawaii, UNLV, UNLV and maybe Cincinnati. Al the rest are one losing season from being an FCS school. Wyoming best bet is to make the move to the Big Sky conference because that's where they will eventually end up at. Who cares about Wyoming football? No one outside of Wyoming. Wyoming has depended on other schools to support them thru out the years. BYU, Utah pretty much kept Wyoming alive with welfare checks the whole time they were in the MWC.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

3 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

In the meantime, you're still slumming with us until further notice. 

more like trailer parking it with us until further notice.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 hour ago, ShoichiKUN808 said:

to be fair, we could have lost to air force,fresno,and umass easily.

1 hour ago, Warbow said:

Won-Loss records have nothing to do with having P-5 potential. Just ask Rutgers and Syracuse.  

I guess with that mentality it would be reasonable to assume that you aspire to be a punching bag somewhere in a beloved P5 conference. When you get there you'll be in great company with the likes of Kansas, Vanderbilt, Iowa State, Illinois, and Syracuse. If that's what you're aiming for, then by all means, you can have it! Dynasties aren't built by TV contracts and delusional homer fan bases, they're directly associated with your ability to have success on Saturdays. By the way, there are plenty of Wyoming fans outside the state of Wyoming. You know, real fans that haven't been bought and sold by ESPN. So give us a call when you get your P5 invite to schedule a game. We'll be happy to make a trip to Hawaii to beat you in front of a larger national audience. 

Union.jpg.6989c32e721d578d3952602294d1af90.jpgCampus500x283.jpg.208ead7433af78ce44bb775b8561f0c7.jpg

Snowies.jpg.8548e47a8f188d64d1a93ecde4744b11.jpgIMG_1401.JPG.cfa8ec5eeb3ac75f090d8d5e59dd0805.JPG

On 3/21/2017 at 9:18 PM, Traitmanz said:

The new generation of hawaii people have fell off the radar and rather go clubbing. Hawaii fans pre 2010 were loyal to da soil my braddah 

In the 2000's we would go clubbing on Thursday, Friday and after the UH games on Saturday night (or pass out drunk by the 3rd quarter).  Kids these days are just different.  House music and everyone dancing facing the DJ.  Junk.

5 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

In the 2000's we would go clubbing on Thursday, Friday and after the UH games on Saturday night (or pass out drunk by the 3rd quarter).  Kids these days are just different.  House music and everyone dancing facing the DJ.  Junk.

mdma_tablets.jpg

• Like 1

Related image

I coined the term Trailer Park Conference for Warbow.  TPC.

I do agree that Mountain West Conference is pretty unimaginative.  The AAC, despite their meteoric decline from a power conference, sounds more like a power conference.  

Until we stop trying to all exit for the P5, we should invest in our conference to make it better.  My experience with the PAC-12:

- equal revenue share from media contract (same $ for USC as with Wazzu).  This is the biggest benefit by far.

- management consulting for schools for sales and marketing

- better branding (Conference of Champions)

- better markets for our tourism industry (major MSAs that have fanbases who can afford to travel to Hawaii; advertising value which would better align UH athletics with our largest industry).

I'm a Hawaii fan who thinks we could be a PAC school, but I'm very proud to be a MWC member. I want to make this conference better and if in another lifetime we go to another conference, so be it.   But I think it is better to make the MWC a contender.

5 hours ago, Warbow said:

more like trailer parking it with us until further notice.

Just keep those charitable donations flowing.

21 hours ago, Warbow said:

Won-Loss records have nothing to do with having P-5 potential. Just ask Rutgers and Syracuse.  Lets be real here, there is only but a less than hand full of schools left in the mid majors that have any potential to move up with the big boys. Throw out the politics and there's maybe 5 schools that have the fan base, support and academics to even think about it.  BYU, Hawaii, UNLV, UNLV and maybe Cincinnati. Al the rest are one losing season from being an FCS school. Wyoming best bet is to make the move to the Big Sky conference because that's where they will eventually end up at. Who cares about Wyoming football? No one outside of Wyoming. Wyoming has depended on other schools to support them thru out the years. BYU, Utah pretty much kept Wyoming alive with welfare checks the whole time they were in the MWC.

Did you inadvertently exclude SDSU or do you think UNLV has twice the potential of BYU, your school and "maybe Cincinnati"?

I think you're wrong about Wyo ending up in the Big Sky. Instead, the Cowboys and the other MWC leftovers (perhaps excluding SJSU) will charge ~4 current Big Sky schools no entrance fee to join the mighty MWC. It'll be an offer they can't refuse. Gotta keep propping up Craig Thompson's 401(k) after all.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 hours ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I'm a Hawaii fan who thinks we could be a PAC school, but I'm very proud to be a MWC member. I want to make this conference better and if in another lifetime we go to another conference, so be it.   But I think it is better to make the MWC a contender.

You lost all credibility with that first point. As to the second, a contender for what? Biggest turd in the litter box?

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You lost all credibility with that first point. As to the second, a contender for what? Biggest turd in the litter box?

Am I only allowed to be proud of being in one conference?  Could you be proud of your college but later in life proud of where you work?  I'm more than happy to be in the MWC today.  Isn't it better to show success at every level in a progression?

If the MWC could be a P6 (or consistent BCS game participant) that would be great.

• Like 1