Warbow

NCAA football rule changes

Early-signing period: If the measure receives final approval from Collegiate Commissioners Associations, high school seniors may sign letters of intent during a three-day period in December. Previously, only junior-college players intending to transfer at mid-academic year could sign during the 72-hour period. The concern is whether a player who signs in December has an escape option if the head coach leaves the program before February signing period.

Signing limit: FBS teams can sign no more than 25 football prospects each year. Previously, if one of the 25 did not meet the NCAA eligibility requirements, an FBS school could sign a replacement. But under the new rule, if a player does not qualify, the team only can have 24 players for that recruiting class. This will put pressure on schools to ensure that recruits are in good academic standing.

Tenth coach: Starting in January, each FBS can hire a 10th full-time assistant coach. Currently, FBS schools are limited to nine full-time assistant coaches.

Hiring restrictions: An FBS school will not be allowed to hire a coach or individual associated with prospective student-athlete to an off-field or strength/conditioning position for a two year period before a prospect enrolls and a two-year period after.  There is no restriction to hiring a coach or associate to a full-time coaching job.

Satellite camps: FBS coaches are limited to 10 days of attending or coaching summer camps. All the camps also must be hosted by an FBS school on its campus or where it plays its home games.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

I believe the signing limit new rule will hurt schools like Fresno St and San Jose St. St the most. They seem to have a high number of non-qualifiers. With this change, schools will have to do their homework on the "student" vs. the "athlete" first before they start recruiting.   

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

2 minutes ago, badfish said:

That early signing period would be great.

I think it would be great for all G-5 schools. You won't have to worry about the last minute P-5 school poaching your recruits before signing day.

3 minutes ago, badfish said:

That early signing period would be great.

Not sure but I don't think the signed LOI is binding if a school replaces (fire or he leaves) a head coach after the early signing period and before the regular signing day.

29 minutes ago, Warbow said:

Early-signing period: If the measure receives final approval from Collegiate Commissioners Associations, high school seniors may sign letters of intent during a three-day period in December. Previously, only junior-college players intending to transfer at mid-academic year could sign during the 72-hour period. The concern is whether a player who signs in December has an escape option if the head coach leaves the program before February signing period.

Signing limit: FBS teams can sign no more than 25 football prospects each year. Previously, if one of the 25 did not meet the NCAA eligibility requirements, an FBS school could sign a replacement. But under the new rule, if a player does not qualify, the team only can have 24 players for that recruiting class. This will put pressure on schools to ensure that recruits are in good academic standing.

Tenth coach: Starting in January, each FBS can hire a 10th full-time assistant coach. Currently, FBS schools are limited to nine full-time assistant coaches.

Hiring restrictions: An FBS school will not be allowed to hire a coach or individual associated with prospective student-athlete to an off-field or strength/conditioning position for a two year period before a prospect enrolls and a two-year period after.  There is no restriction to hiring a coach or associate to a full-time coaching job.

Satellite camps: FBS coaches are limited to 10 days of attending or coaching summer camps. All the camps also must be hosted by an FBS school on its campus or where it plays its home games.

Early signing...benefits G5, but mostly benefits the student athlete.  I bet it's moved from December to November when it passes.

Signing limits...I saw it slightly different.  Slightly.  I see it as a team can only have 25, but if a player fails to qualify they can go get another one.  However, no more signing 30 players to a LOI based on a projection that some of them will not qualify.  You can still replace a non qualifier, just can't do it preemptively.  Again, benefits the student athlete.

I like all these changes.

2 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Early signing...benefits G5, but mostly benefits the student athlete.  I bet it's moved from December to November when it passes.

Signing limits...I saw it slightly different.  Slightly.  I see it as a team can only have 25, but if a player fails to qualify they can go get another one.  However, no more signing 30 players to a LOI based on a projection that some of them will not qualify.  You can still replace a non qualifier, just can't do it preemptively.  Again, benefits the student athlete.

I like all these changes.

I read signing limits different. Basically if you sign someone that don't qualify during the initial signing period, you lose that that signee with no replacement to put you back at 25. If it's like the way you say, there's no change, that's what they do now.

Here's the rule:

Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017).

So you can only sign 25. If 1 don't qualify later then you can replace him with someone already enrolled for 2 years (walk-on).

Just now, Warbow said:

I read signing limits different. Basically if you sign someone that don't qualify during the initial signing period, you lose that that signee with no replacement to put you back at 25. If it's like the way you say, there's no change, that's what they do now.

No, now they oversign.  Like 28 players and we'll get the schollys right after some fanaggling.

"OK, we gave 28, but two of those go against last year because we were under the limit and those two will come in for the spring, the other guys is a greyshirt and won't enroll until next spring."

I think this still allows 25, it just takes away all the games.  If you sign 25 out of HS for instance, and one guy can't pass history and fails to get the GPA, then you go get a Juco that nobody else wanted.

I agree it will require a lot more discipline by coaches to look at a players academics, but I do think they can still end up with 25 every year.  Just no greyshirts or shenanigans.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

No, now they oversign.  Like 28 players and we'll get the schollys right after some fanaggling.

"OK, we gave 28, but two of those go against last year because we were under the limit and those two will come in for the spring, the other guys is a greyshirt and won't enroll until next spring."

I think this still allows 25, it just takes away all the games.  If you sign 25 out of HS for instance, and one guy can't pass history and fails to get the GPA, then you go get a Juco that nobody else wanted.

I agree it will require a lot more discipline by coaches to look at a players academics, but I do think they can still end up with 25 every year.  Just no greyshirts or shenanigans.

Football Bowl Subdivision schools are limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes to a first-time financial aid agreement or a National Letter of Intent. Exceptions exclude current student-athletes who have been enrolled full-time at the school for at least two years and prospective or current student-athletes who suffer an incapacitating injury (effective for recruits who sign after Aug. 1, 2017).

So you can only sign 25. If 1 don't qualify later then you can replace him with someone already enrolled for 2 years (walk-on). But you can't sign a 26 replacement high school recruit. (unless he had an incapacitating injury).

2 minutes ago, Warbow said:

So you can only sign 25. If 1 don't qualify later then you can replace him with someone already enrolled for 2 years (walk-on). But you can't sign a 26 replacement recruit.

So, we're reading the exact same info and seeing two different outcomes.  Hardly worth you and I arguing about, but I'd suggest to the NCAA that some clarification is in order before this takes effect.

Just now, Headbutt said:

So, we're reading the exact same info and seeing two different outcomes.  Hardly worth you and I arguing about, but I'd suggest to the NCAA that some clarification is in order before this takes effect.

I'm reading it in black and white "limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes".

You are reading in between the lines.

I'm not arguing, just a friendly discussion as far as I'm concerned.  

There have been a lot of discussions about the rule changes and last I heard a lot of people were offering up amendments to the which some people thought could actually jeopardize it from passing. 

What is worth to note....the P5 conferences all get two votes each while all the other conferences only get one vote each. 

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

There have been a lot of discussions about the rule changes and last I heard a lot of people were offering up amendments to the which some people thought could actually jeopardize it from passing. 

What is worth to note....the P5 conferences all get two votes each while all the other conferences only get one vote each. 

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-04-14/college-football-di-council-adopts-new-recruiting-model

22 minutes ago, Warbow said:

I'm reading it in black and white "limited to signing 25 prospective and current student-athletes".

You are reading in between the lines.

I'm not arguing, just a friendly discussion as far as I'm concerned.  

You are correct about reading in between the lines, but I still feel that I'm right.  I do believe that a team can show up to opening day with no more than 25 signees.  If they signed 25, and two left that means that they only have 23 signed and can add two.  I agree that your interpretation is the strict black and white interpretation, I just don't think that's how the NCAA works.  My point is that you cannot sign more than 25, but if you lose one of those 25 you can go find another player to fill your class.  You just can't proactively get 26 LOI's based on hedging your bets regarding a HS or Juco players qualifying or not.

The biggest thing here IMO is to avoid Ed Orgeron signing 32 players and then letting 7 of them go, or lining up a group of greyshirts that you can then change your mind on while they delayed enrollment until next year thinking they were good to go.  I don't think the intent of the rule is to force coaches to be much more sure about who they sign (although that is a by product), I do think the intent is to stop some programs from screwing over kids.  It will definitely do that.  A very rare move by the NCAA in that I approve of it.

Signing limit

I think this is more about how p5s abuse the system of oversigning players and then designating the extra recruits to the class before or after, thus stockpiling players.

This will help the G5 schools a great deal because more talent will be available to them.

28 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

You are correct about reading in between the lines, but I still feel that I'm right.  I do believe that a team can show up to opening day with no more than 25 signees.  If they signed 25, and two left that means that they only have 23 signed and can add two.  I agree that your interpretation is the strict black and white interpretation, I just don't think that's how the NCAA works.  My point is that you cannot sign more than 25, but if you lose one of those 25 you can go find another player to fill your class.  You just can't proactively get 26 LOI's based on hedging your bets regarding a HS or Juco players qualifying or not.

The biggest thing here IMO is to avoid Ed Orgeron signing 32 players and then letting 7 of them go, or lining up a group of greyshirts that you can then change your mind on while they delayed enrollment until next year thinking they were good to go.  I don't think the intent of the rule is to force coaches to be much more sure about who they sign (although that is a by product), I do think the intent is to stop some programs from screwing over kids.  It will definitely do that.  A very rare move by the NCAA in that I approve of it.

If you sign 25 on LOI day and 1 don't qualify and sign 1 replacement later, you are actually signing 26 and over the 25 limit.