Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RebelRobert

Desiree Reed-Francois

Good hire if they agree to terms.

Has actual experience and connections all over the country, and on the west coast. She doesn't seem like an incompetent buffoon like TKM.

What really helps unlv is the fact that she has Raider ties as their legal advisor, so that will help working with the Raiders on Stadium issues that may need to be smoothed over. 

I approve of this hire and things are looking up for unlv. 

Dan WolkenVerified account @DanWolken 2m2 minutes ago

This would be a home run for UNLV if it gets done. Desiree is really, really talented.

http://www.hokiesports.com/staff/reed-francois_desiree.html

Desiree Reed-Francois
Deputy Athletics Director
Executive Staff
(540) 231-6927 :: Send Email
VIDEO  | Videos of Desiree

Desiree Reed-Francois fills a critical role for Virginia Tech Director of Athletics Whit Babcock, overseeing the football program and the day-to-day operations of the external team, which includes ticketing services, marketing and promotions, HokieVision, strategic communications, graphic design/publications, corporate development, and IMG, as well as having oversight of sports medicine.

She is also among an even more exclusive group of women who oversee the day-to-day operations of a nationally prominent FBS football program. Along with Babcock, she played a pivotal role in the hiring of head coach Justin Fuente to succeed Frank Beamer.

Prior to coming to Virginia Tech, Reed-Francois oversaw the football, women’s basketball and volleyball programs at Cincinnati in addition to the sports communications, marketing and promotions and video services and production departments. She also led the department’s strategic planning initiatives and assisted in management of external partnerships.

Prior to working at Cincinnati, Reed-Francois spent four years (2008-12) at the University of Tennessee, where she advanced from associate AD for strategic initiatives to senior associate AD for strategic planning and initiatives

During her more than 19 years in intercollegiate athletics administration, Reed-Francois has occupied positions at the University of California, San Jose State, Santa Clara, Fresno State and the University of San Francisco. Prior to that, she held numerous positions of progressive leadership, including working as a legal associate for the Oakland Raiders and serving in a similar position with the NFL’s Management Council.

A 1994 graduate of UCLA, Reed-Francois earned a Juris Doctorate from the University of Arizona College of Law. She is a member of the California Bar, taught law classes at Tennessee and Santa Clara University and is involved on the national level, serving as a Division I-A Fellow, chairing the ACC Professional Development Committee and presenting at the NACDA Mentoring Institute and the NACWAA annual meeting. Reed-Francois was recently recognized by College AD’s panel of athletic directors as one of the 2016’s NEXT UP, which recognizes senior level administrators whom respected AD’s believe are ready to take the next step and become athletic directors in their own right

Jessup hit a home run here, she has Big 5 experience having worked at Tennessee and Va Tech. She also worked for the Raiders as a legal consultant. Is a lawyer by trade and a grad of UCLA. Some of things I've heard are she is a hard worker, she has experience raising money, is brilliant and unfortunately (and let's hope this is true) is going to be an AD at a big school someday. If that happens that means she did good at UNLV. She's not Livengood who is here to collect a check and she isn't TKM who is in over her head. I heard she was amazing in her interview and her vision blew that of the other candidates away. I was told the guy from Duke was pretty ho hum and she ran circles around him. 

The people I know who know more than me have said this was the best hire UNLV could have made, she was the best candidate not just for UNLV but for any school looking to make a hire. Sounds like we got ourselves a good AD who has contacts, is great in the community and knows her shit. I think this could actually be the start of something good for UNLV. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

39 minutes ago, just_chris said:

Jessup hit a home run here, she has Big 5 experience having worked at Tennessee and Va Tech. She also worked for the Raiders as a legal consultant. Is a lawyer by trade and a grad of UCLA. Some of things I've heard are she is a hard worker, she has experience raising money, is brilliant and unfortunately (and let's hope this is true) is going to be an AD at a big school someday. If that happens that means she did good at UNLV. She's not Livengood who is here to collect a check and she isn't TKM who is in over her head. I heard she was amazing in her interview and her vision blew that of the other candidates away. I was told the guy from Duke was pretty ho hum and she ran circles around him. 

The people I know who know more than me have said this was the best hire UNLV could have made, she was the best candidate not just for UNLV but for any school looking to make a hire. Sounds like we got ourselves a good AD who has contacts, is great in the community and knows her shit. I think this could actually be the start of something good for UNLV. 

This can't possibly be true. This is UNLV we are talking about. We can't make good decisions when they are right in front of our faces.

2 hours ago, just_chris said:

The only thing I care about is getting in a P5 conference.  If she can't get us there or at least lay the ground work, then she failed.  In addition, we're only a stepping stone job if we say we are.  It's the self-fulfilling prophecy.

7 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The only thing I care about is getting in a P5 conference.  If she can't get us there or at least lay the ground work, then she failed.  In addition, we're only a stepping stone job if we say we are.  It's the self-fulfilling prophecy.

SDSU brought back John David Wicker basically for that reason. The thinking was in part that with Wicker's associate AD experience at Georgia Tech and the fact he helped improve athletic facilities there that he was the right man to help get it done. So I see Reed-Francoise as a similar hire. Frankly, I haven't been thrilled with JDW to this point but he hasn't even been around for a year and the stadium thing hasn't totally fallen apart so we'll see.

Good luck to UNLV. I always root for you guys since I see your school as the best potential partner for SDSU to get us out of this crap pile.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

She will get us to a P5 conference. If she can't do it, then IMO, no other hire was going to get us there. I'm really glad that we aren't going with some UA good ol boys club or some other dumbass that would need training wheels to run the department. 

DSR has the potential to be the best AD UNLV has ever had by a country mile, and probably the best signing unlv has done since signing Tark. 

Like Hoosier, I was shocked they wanted someone not only very competent but someone that has a terrific vision and gets things done. 

I meet her when she was at Fresno. A very bright administrator who gets it and understands the importance of football.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Wow. Everyone is on board that this is a really good hire by UNLV.

Kinda nice.

We'll see how she does, but I'm getting my hopes up.  Maybe the administration learned that you need a committee to find people.