Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

OT? Thoughts on Proposed bill in North Carolina

5 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

Pest pressure in the SE is much higher than in the Central Valley. You should research varieties originating in the area, either heirloom or new varieties created at NCSU or USC (the South Carolina variety) or another eastern research program. Both schools have extensive research programs developing peaches.

Even if you grow only "local" varieties, if you want decent fruit from your trees, be prepared to initiate a pretty rigorous spray schedule. Organic is also probably not going to get you the kind of results you'd like over there. Heat plus humidity is a bitch. 

Yep, it's something we'll have to research. My wife has lived out here for pretty much her entire life, and had a garden when she lived out in the country about 10 years ago. It'll be a project to get it built during the fall and winter, and then work on planting and everything after that. 

The trees will definitely be an adventure, mostly because I'm not even certain what all grows well out here yet. But again, plenty of time to research. I'm guessing I won't get around to that until the year after next. 

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

Yep, it's something we'll have to research. My wife has lived out here for pretty much her entire life, and had a garden when she lived out in the country about 10 years ago. It'll be a project to get it built during the fall and winter, and then work on planting and everything after that. 

The trees will definitely be an adventure, mostly because I'm not even certain what all grows well out here yet. But again, plenty of time to research. I'm guessing I won't get around to that until the year after next. 

I don't mean to step on your prioritization toes, but trees take years to fruit, whereas a garden will produce in year one, so getting them in the ground this spring of fall gets you fruit up to a year sooner than if you wait. Peaches you can get in year three, and they should grow fine in your neck of the woods, but apples might take five, depending on what rootstock they are on, and with a couple of exceptions, pears will take longer than that. Of course, you've mentioned that you're looking for a new job, so maybe that needs to be settled before you commit to growing tree fruit in case you end up on the move again.

12 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I have wine grapes growing in Montana that aren't supposed to grow there. So there could always be a possibility of a microclimate, but I'd follow Posturedoc's advice and go with peaches or apples. 

The guy behind us here in the San Fernando Valley actually created his own microclimate for two banana trees. Having banana trees where we live is no great accomplishment but actually getting fruit to grow other than in a hothouse as he did is amazing. He had some kind of setup with a lattice and misters that allowed him to get it done. I once thought about trying to do the same since I like bananas but with my brown thumb I'd probably put in hundreds of hours of work for nothing. (BTW, does anybody even bother with trying to grow fruit in a hothouse in Wyoming?)

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The guy behind us here in the San Fernando Valley actually created his own microclimate for two banana trees. Having banana trees where we live is no great accomplishment but actually getting fruit to grow other than in a hothouse as he did is amazing. He had some kind of setup with a lattice and misters that allowed him to get it done. I once thought about trying to do the same since I like bananas but with my brown thumb I'd probably put in hundreds of hours of work for nothing. (BTW, does anybody even bother with trying to grow fruit in a hothouse in Wyoming?)

I have a friend with 40 acres (below the river level, as a lot of that reclaimed farmland is!) right next to the Sacramento River between Sacramento and Stockton. He has at least one banana tree that produces bananas, though I think that frost sometimes causes him to lose his crop, and he hasn't created a special setup for it. I don't know much about banana trees, but as with most fruit, I expect some varieties are hardier than others. Perhaps your neighbor is growing a less hardy variety and needs that special setup to make it work. It's fun to experiment with marginally hardy fruits, but as I spend more time playing around in my orchard, I'm much more interested in predictably getting fruit - no small trick in my cold microclimate in the Reno foothills - rather than growing pretty trees.

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Huh, bananas are so inexpensive, it seems like a lot of work for very little reward.

Last year, I planted 3 cherry trees. It will be a few years but I'm curious to see if they'll bear fruit in our climate.

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Huh, bananas are so inexpensive, it seems like a lot of work for very little reward.

Last year, I planted 3 cherry trees. It will be a few years but I'm curious to see if they'll bear fruit in our climate.

Little reward?  You're the only hoss in town with a goddam banana tree!

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

tabacco road in north carolina is growing tabacco.