Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Cowboy Junky

Jeremy Lieberman to transfer

Thompson hasn't played even one season of inner-city HS basketball and he played AAU ball in Utah. Not exactly inner-city either so it's going to take a couple years to toughen him up. So my guess is that by his junior year he will be akin to the two big men Dale Layer had at CSU. Find one more and you guys might win a conference title that year or the next like Layer managed to pull off once.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest Cowboy Junky
18 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Thompson hasn't played even one season of inner-city HS basketball and he played AAU ball in Utah. Not exactly inner-city either so it's going to take a couple years to toughen him up. So my guess is that by his junior year he will be akin to the two big men Dale Layer had at CSU. Find one more and you guys might win a conference title that year or the next like Layer managed to pull off once.

Hunter has the luxury that he can take his time. He's got Hayden Dalton, Alan Herndon, and Buddha Jones playing that same roll: stretch 4. He doesn't have to contribute early.

Having said that, I think he will play next year. Nevada lost a lot this year. SDSU, UNLV, and UNM all have new coaches. Larry Eustachy is Wyoming's bitch when we have competitive teams. Hutch left. Next years conference race is wide open, and Wyoming is bringing back a bunch of seniors. I think we'll be one of the favorites to win the league next season.

I can't see Hunter Thompson passing on that. It's not like he's a project. He was recruited by a lot of big schools. He's 6'10", can shoot the three, and has good athleticism for his size. He would likely start as a freshman for the majority of teams in the MWC. He would make the rotation as a freshmen on any MWC team. 

He doesn't have to redshirt anymore if he doesn't want too.

I don't think he will. I can't see us redshirting a four star, in a year we have conference titles aspirations. I think Hunter will play next year.

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

Did someone actually suggest that the CBI trophy was a 'Major' title?  

Extra practices, yes.

ESPN said it was. Since they got rid of Skip Bayless, I'm starting to listen to them a little more.

19 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Hunter has the luxury that he can take his time. He's got Hayden Dalton, Alan Herndon, and Buddha Jones playing that same roll: stretch 4. He doesn't have to contribute early.

Having said that, I think he will play next year. Nevada lost a lot this year. SDSU, UNLV, and UNM all have new coaches. Larry Eustachy is Wyoming's bitch when we have competitive teams. Hutch left. Next years conference race is wide open, and Wyoming is bringing back a bunch of seniors. I think we'll be one of the favorites to win the league next season.

I can't see Hunter Thompson passing on that. It's not like he's a project. He was recruited by a lot of big schools. He's 6'10", can shoot the three, and has good athleticism for his size. He would likely start as a freshman for the majority of teams in the MWC. He would make the rotation as a freshmen on any MWC team. 

He doesn't have to redshirt anymore if he doesn't want too.

I don't think he will. I can't see us redshirting a four star, in a year we have conference titles aspirations. I think Hunter will play next year.

Wyoming had a kid named Greg Sawyer that came from that small town area Hunter Thompson is from. That kid played a lot of big games and helped beat the best teams in this conference when it was really good. If Hunter Thompson is anywhere near as good as Greg Sawyer, we play him a lot and soon.

19 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You're absolutely right. He played in a tiny Wyoming town (which happens to be where I'm from), and played AAU in Utah. However, he played on the top AAU team in Utah, and played against teams from Brooklyn, Louisville, Dallas, and Boston. He was also invited to attend the NBAPA Top 100 camp, where he did VERY well against the like of DeAndre Ayton (#2 in the ESPN 100, Arizona), Mitchell Robinson (#9, Western Kentucky), Nick Richards (#11, Kentucky), and Malik Williams (#29, Louisville).

I'm not saying he's going to come in and set the world on fire his freshman season, but I am saying that he's a legit high major prospect. He had offers from Creighton, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah State, and took visits to Gonzaga, Utah, and Wisconsin.

I'll admit that I'm biased. Our families are close, and his dad was my high school basketball coach. This kid used to practice with us when I was in high school and he was 5. He has lived and breathed basketball since he could walk, and he's put in the work that it takes to be a solid player.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

1 minute ago, roughrider said:

Does Espin own the rights to that tournament?

If they do they did a piss poor job of showing it. It was just a story on ESPN. Don't get all worked up about it. As a MWC fan we should be at least a little excited about a conference team winning something. Nevada won it last year and they had a really solid team. They didn't show up against Iowa State in the tournament this year, but the Cyclones were for real. They could play some ball.

Pokes ain't gonna be no joke next year in hoops. Deal with it.

1 hour ago, WYO1016 said:

You're absolutely right. He played in a tiny Wyoming town (which happens to be where I'm from), and played AAU in Utah. However, he played on the top AAU team in Utah, and played against teams from Brooklyn, Louisville, Dallas, and Boston. He was also invited to attend the NBAPA Top 100 camp, where he did VERY well against the like of DeAndre Ayton (#2 in the ESPN 100, Arizona), Mitchell Robinson (#9, Western Kentucky), Nick Richards (#11, Kentucky), and Malik Williams (#29, Louisville).

I'm not saying he's going to come in and set the world on fire his freshman season, but I am saying that he's a legit high major prospect. He had offers from Creighton, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah State, and took visits to Gonzaga, Utah, and Wisconsin.

I'll admit that I'm biased. Our families are close, and his dad was my high school basketball coach. This kid used to practice with us when I was in high school and he was 5. He has lived and breathed basketball since he could walk, and he's put in the work that it takes to be a solid player.

He does need to toughen up, put on some weight and muscle.  I think a redshirt year would do him wonders.  PB and Burns has put out a lot of great athletes that have contributed at UW and other colleges throughout.  Both Hunter's mom and dad played at the collegiate level and know what it takes to succeed there.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

Oh, look who tops the list...https://twitter.com/nbatv/status/852937022012481536

wow, the next Michael Jordan

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 hour ago, BodyBagGame said:

If they do they did a piss poor job of showing it. It was just a story on ESPN. Don't get all worked up about it. As a MWC fan we should be at least a little excited about a conference team winning something. Nevada won it last year and they had a really solid team. They didn't show up against Iowa State in the tournament this year, but the Cyclones were for real. They could play some ball.

Pokes ain't gonna be no joke next year in hoops. Deal with it.

Funny you used 'worked up'.  It was a poke on the Pokes because of that claim. I knew someone would jump on it.  Your fanbase reminds me of ours;  hyper sensitive.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Fine....you're now the "Walmart greeter troll"

welcome to the MWCboard

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.