Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sebasour

Official: New Mexico Hires Paul Weir

And I usually lurk other boards at times like this, and Aggie Trough member dropped a solid melt. 

jtnmsu

Veteran Aggie
Rating: 2.5/5 this site
17144 posts this site
Re: Weir to UNM

It is a terrible decision for Weir.

He sucks. I hope he fails and falls flat on his ass. Screw him.

It is a a terrible decision for his family. Good luck raising your family in the crime capital of the state and of the region. Enjoy the 45 minute one way commute to your new "office" through orange barrels, a "war zone", road rage drivers, texting drivers, drugged up drivers, and old people drivers. Unless you own a helicopter your quality of life just went down about 99 notches by moving from Cruces to ABQ.

What you make up for in increased salary you will lose in quality of life, pollution, crime, ART Project, crooked politicians on each corner, more crime, more pollution, the worst schools in the nation, higher cost of living, and going from a big fish in a small pond, to a small fish in a cesspool pond.

Enjoy Wise Pies arena. Sounds like a match made in heaven. You little crook.

JT

1 minute ago, Lobo Amor said:

Weir was making 250K, buyout was 500K. 

that's base salary...

"Weir comes very cheap as his base salary is $250,000 and his max bonuses are $140,000"

so Weir probably makes over 300k, plus the 500k buyout...NMSU will have a little money to play with.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

17 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

So they had to pay the 500k buyout for Weir. What was the buyout for Noodles? Was it the 1 million or did it lower?

1 mil paid out monthly over 24 months. Funny thing is it's state money just shifting hands (on the buyout).

35 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

1 mil paid out monthly over 24 months. Funny thing is it's state money just shifting hands (on the buyout).

$24 million! UNM got screwed! ?

So $1m / 24 months. There was once a time in the not so distant past that boosters/taxpayers would have had a hissy for spending that chedder on a buyout. Not anymore. ADs waste cash carte blanche. 

I like the Weir hire. I predict that he will have much success with the Lobos and will be wooed by P5 in 3 to 4 years. I hope UNM has a nice (millions) buy-out in place within the six year deal.

Weir has recruited well to Las Cruces, he is young, energetic and seems to coach effort and defense.

He will compete for a MW championship immediately.

Many fans lament the hire as settling. I think he should have been high on UNM's radar from the get go. I think we got a steal. I'll have to admit though that I am not really comfortable with 'stealing' from the only other D-1 institution in our state. Bad taste. Has this ever been done before?

Face it...

UNM and the Mountain Weak is not what it used to be.

Gone are the days of coaches like Alford, Kruger, Fisher, Shyatt...we now have what we have.

This conference and its' new posse of coaches needs to get this basketball league turned around...pointed in the right direction. Got to get off this growing and festering one bid league reputation. We'll see what the likes of Musselman, Dutcher, Rice, Menzies, Weir and the rest can do.

Don't forget we owe Baldie Harriman 300k too. $hit for brains Krebs gave him a buyout clause which is in effect even during his final year of contract. So 150k remaining salary (contract year starts April 1) + 150k buyout. 

Folks we justed dropped 1.8 mil to get a guy who spent the last 10 years in Las Cruces. Haha. Not saying Weir won't be a good coach, but 1.8 million is stunning. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

$24 million! UNM got screwed! ?

So $1m / 24 months. There was once a time in the not so distant past that boosters/taxpayers would have had a hissy for spending that chedder on a buyout. Not anymore. ADs waste cash carte blanche. 

Ha ha, nice catch. Hopefully noodles gets a job somewhere right away and it lightens our load.

25 minutes ago, Lobo Amor said:

We may keep him for the year just so aren't paying another buyout. Not sure which players he recruited.

Might be part of the deal with Weir...to keep Harriman on staff.

I believe he is pretty instrumental with the incoming recruits staying. That's assuming Weir wants them.

When you are down to your 4th, 5th or higher choice yeah i think you are settling for someone. I think when people started rejecting them or pulling their name out of the running they went looking for who they could get real quick and they did.

I am not saying he won't be a good coach or anything I just think this is what New Mexico could get right now. If they made the decision earlier I think i things would have turned out differently.

However it is funny to read that post from NMSU board, especially since everyone is just racing to get to Las Cruces to play and coach since it is such a great place to be