Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Man forcibly dragged off of a United flight

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Not unless I can unilaterally break the agreement whenever I want without costing me a dime.  Which, of course, isn't the case.

The airline is apparently able to cancel their contract after costing the customer.....why can't I do that to a restaurant?

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

2 hours ago, pokebball said:

Hippy nonsense?

It did escalate, to greater and greater response because the good Dr. didn't respect rules and the law, right?

Retro, I'm not asking you this question in any way to suggest I support the way it went down, but I'm curious.  How would you have handled the situation?  The planes been boarded and every seat is taken.  What would you have done?

Easy. Pay more for volunteers. 

Very short sighted. How much is this costing?

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

Probably the best course of action given the circumstances.  All costs get passed onto us, so you and I would be the ones paying for this.

Or they eat it because they aren't the only option. Our wonderful competitive system in action. 

And riddle me this. They took such aggressive measures to get his ass off the plane, how the hell was he allowed to get back on the plane, obviously disoriented, bleeding from his head and mouth?

He got blood everywhere and they had to deboard the whole plane to "tidy up", then board again. 

New definition of a shit show. 

15 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Easy. Pay more for volunteers. 

Very short sighted. How much is this costing?

What? No takers at $1500?

Well then we'll just involuntary deny you boarding, and you get $1350!

Oh, Mr. Doctor, you refuse to deplane? Well, that's OK. Let's just go to the next rock bottom fare payer on the list who checked in barely 20 minutes before departure, and we're sure they'll go willingly!

Anarchy on a Plane!

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Up the compensation until you have takers.

Look, I get that companies HAVE to overbook. I get it. I get that 800 and accommodation usually works. But... Holy shit, United, you f*cking seated the passengers. They were on the plane. 800 isn't going to cut it for the extremely stupid circumstances you put yourselves in. 800 wasn't cutting it. Fine. Go to 1500. Go to 2500 with flex tickets to any international destination*. You guys shat the bed by letting people board and then needing to call them out. As said earlier, United had all the power they needed by just not leaving. Sit on the tarmac, sweeten the offer until you have takers, and get the F out of there without beating the shit out of someone who is your customer. 

The problem is United didn't have it's employees in the right place.   I get overbooking.  It is one thing to overbook and bump paying customers for other paying customers.  It is something else again to bump and person with a reservation for employees flying standby

If your piss poor management to not have employees in place means you are going to inconvenience your paying customers then you have a big problem. 

34 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

What? No takers at $1500?

Well then we'll just involuntary deny you boarding, and you get $1350!

Oh, Mr. Doctor, you refuse to deplane? Well, that's OK. Let's just go to the next rock bottom fare payer on the list who checked in barely 20 minutes before departure, and we're sure they'll go willingly!

Anarchy on a Plane!

Methinks Doc will be getting a very large payout from the airline soon.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

The problem is United didn't have it's employees in the right place.   I get overbooking.  It is one thing to overbook and bump paying customers for other paying customers.  It is something else again to bump and person with a reservation for employees flying standby

If your piss poor management to not have employees in place means you are going to inconvenience your paying customers then you have a big problem. 

Airlines have very sophisticated staffing software that makes sure crew members are there for a flight. 

I imagine another flight was cancelled, or there was a weather delay somewhere, keeping the flight departing Louisville unstaffed or understaffed (I don't think Louisville is probably a large home base for pilots and flight attendants, so they have to bring them in).

Just now, roswellcoug said:

Airlines have very sophisticated staffing software that makes sure crew members are there for a flight. 

I imagine another flight was cancelled, or there was a weather delay somewhere, keeping the flight departing Louisville unstaffed or understaffed (I don't think Louisville is probably a large home base for pilots and flight attendants, so they have to bring them in).

Fine and that is the airlines problem to solve without making it the passengers by forcing them involuntarily.

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Fine and that is the airlines problem to solve without making it the passengers by forcing them involuntarily.

The way this guy reacted resulted in a delayed arrival for the rest of the passengers on the plane, and a possible delay in the departure (or cancellation) of another full flight awaiting the deadheading crew. 

They can deny him a seat under their contract if they pay him the agreed compensation.  

1 hour ago, WyomingCoog said:

The airline is apparently able to cancel their contract after costing the customer.....why can't I do that to a restaurant?

Different agreements.  You are free to do whatever you want, actually, including the consequences of those decisions.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

1 hour ago, roswellcoug said:

I read somewhere but have no source or anything so it could be complete BS but anyway. The employees flight they had to be on wasn't for 30 hours. So I htnk they could have found plenty of other opportunities to get them there. If that is true.

Either way United F'ed up big time and as others have said keep raising the buy out and people would take it.

1 hour ago, roswellcoug said:

The way this guy reacted resulted in a delayed arrival for the rest of the passengers on the plane, and a possible delay in the departure (or cancellation) of another full flight awaiting the deadheading crew. 

They can deny him a seat under their contract if they pay him the agreed compensation.  

Yes and he can violate that contract and keep his seat until they sue him in court over this civil matter.  His lawyers will respond and they should be able to get a judges ruling in 2-3 years.

The fact they can use police powers to enforce their civil contracts is the problem.

20 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I read somewhere but have no source or anything so it could be complete BS but anyway. The employees flight they had to be on wasn't for 30 hours. So I htnk they could have found plenty of other opportunities to get them there. If that is true.

Either way United F'ed up big time and as others have said keep raising the buy out and people would take it.

That would be inexcusable if true. But I think some news reports said the deadheaders were for a Monday flight, so the 30 hours couldn't be right.

The FAA mandates at least ten hours of rest (I think), but no one would need 30 hours.

Of course, I don't know how many flights run between ORD and SDF. The news reports said that the airline told the doc he would be put on a 3 PM flight on Monday. 

So now it's coming out that the flight wasn't overbooked, but they decided to use that flight to get their crew to Louisville. 

They bumped those passengers, and put them on the next flight to Louisville, which apparently arrived a little over two hours later. Well, other than the guy that the airport police sent to the hospital. Why couldn't they have put their employees on that flight? 

Oh, and I guess that one of the airport police "officers" was placed on administrative leave as well. 

14 minutes ago, retrofade said:

So now it's coming out that the flight wasn't overbooked, but they decided to use that flight to get their crew to Louisville. 

They bumped those passengers, and put them on the next flight to Louisville, which apparently arrived a little over two hours later. Well, other than the guy that the airport police sent to the hospital. Why couldn't they have put their employees on that flight? 

Oh, and I guess that one of the airport police "officers" was placed on administrative leave as well. 

Maybe the deadheading crew was on a 6 AM Monday departure from Louisville and needed to get there no later than 8 PM to meet the FAA's mandatory rest rule? Who knows? 

Why did the news reports say the re-booked flight offered to the doc was at 3 PM Monday?

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

I read that as well.  Why not just fly them on another flight and bump people who aren't already boarded if it came to that? 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg