Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRebelRed

MWC basketball talent level looks to continue decline among mid-majors

3 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Only SDSU and New Mexico were among the 26 noteworthy "mid major" teams in this SB Nation article:

Mid-Major Madness recruiting rankings

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/4/6/15190916/sweet-16-mid-major-madness-recruiting-rankings-mitchell-robinson-star-prospect-shockers-midmajor

Cause it's on the internet! 

Well we've got transfers from arkansas, Florida state, and Minnesota available this year and I'm pretty sure those guys would be considered talented to be recruited there... Not to mention Raquan Mitchell who was a Texas A&m commit and Memphis recruit. 

Look at NMSU's Paul Weir just curb stomping our entire sorry conference on the recruiting trail. He only makes 250K a year. 

Remind me why Krebs didn't give this guy an interview for the UNM gig?

21 minutes ago, PTR said:

Look at NMSU's Paul Weir just curb stomping our entire sorry conference on the recruiting trail. He only makes 250K a year. 

Remind me why Krebs didn't give this guy an interview for the UNM gig?

Yep.

Paul Weir's Aggie cupboard was not empty upon arrival but it was definitely not full.

Noodle had much more to work with this past season than Coach Weir.

Tremendous job down in Las Cruces.

Perhaps Tina hired the wrong Aggie.

Just now, LoboSage said:

Yep.

Paul Weir's Aggie cupboard was not empty upon arrival but it was definitely not full.

Noodle had much more to work with this past season than Coach Weir.

Tremendous job down in Las Cruces.

Perhaps Tina hired the wrong Aggie.

He's going to be a star. No doubt he'd head 200 miles North on I-25 to double his salary. 

I wonder if Krebs even contacted him. 

4 minutes ago, PTR said:

He's going to be a star. No doubt he'd head 200 miles North on I-25 to double his salary. 

I wonder if Krebs even contacted him. 

I was thinking of Weir mid season when Noodle was trending down.

Apparently he's not even a twinkle in Krebs' eye.

I agree...gonna be a star.

6 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

I was thinking of Weir mid season when Noodle was trending down.

Apparently he's not even a twinkle in Krebs' eye.

I agree...gonna be a star.

As long as it's not Scott Cross, I'm fine with it. Spurs play in 5 minutes. I might watch and see if Borrego is in the huddle.

5 minutes ago, PTR said:

As long as it's not Scott Cross, I'm fine with it. Spurs play in 5 minutes. I might watch and see if Borrego is in the huddle.

He will be in the huddle tonight I'm sure. Hopefully tonight will be his last.

I fully expect an announcement Monday.

Cross Cross (and everybody else) off Krebs' notepad.

16 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

He will be in the huddle tonight I'm sure. Hopefully tonight will be his last.

I fully expect an announcement Monday.

Cross Cross (and everybody else) off Krebs' notepad.

Borrego seemed like an absolute certainty last night. It's an intriguing hire.

20 minutes ago, PTR said:

Borrego seemed like an absolute certainty last night. It's an intriguing hire.

It's my understanding that there is some big money boosters (Alb Academy alums)  that are pushing for Borrego and maybe influencing Krebs in that direction.

25 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

It's my understanding that there is some big money boosters (Alb Academy alums)  that are pushing for Borrego and maybe influencing Krebs in that direction.

One of the few schools in New Mexico with "big money" alums. At least big money by NM standards. As long as the contract is backloaded and doesn't contain a huge Noodle-like buyout, I'm fine with it. The deal has to be fairly stout though. I mean Borrego is probably making 600-750K as a Spur's assistant. 

11 minutes ago, PTR said:

One of the few schools in New Mexico with "big money" alums. At least big money by NM standards. As long as the contract is backloaded and doesn't contain a huge Noodle-like buyout, I'm fine with it. The deal has to be fairly stout though. I mean Borrego is probably making 600-750K as a Spur's assistant. 

One other thing.

I just heard that one of UCLA's assistants (Ed Schilling) is leaving for Indiana.

Perhaps Steve will hire his old sidekick and lessen UNM's Noodle buyout.

8 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

One other thing.

I just heard that one of UCLA's assistants (Ed Schilling) is leaving for Indiana.

Perhaps Steve will hire his old sidekick and lessen UNM's Noodle buyout.

That would be nice. UCLA probably pays the video coordinator 250K a year to keep the ice cold. 

10 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Only SDSU and New Mexico were among the 26 noteworthy "mid major" teams in this SB Nation article:

Mid-Major Madness recruiting rankings

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/4/6/15190916/sweet-16-mid-major-madness-recruiting-rankings-mitchell-robinson-star-prospect-shockers-midmajor

The exact opposite is happening. As the population of the US is rising, so will the talent pool.  And there are so many players out there that aren't being recognized.  The only exception to that might be talented 'bigs'.  

There's also plenty of 4 star guys that don't pan out. Muss has signed something like 12 4-star recruits since he's been at Nevada. But for different reasons 4-5 aren't on the team now. But sure, SB Nation has to write about something. 

kat.jpg