Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecBill

Transition offense in MBB

Below is a table showing the percentage of initial shots that were within 10 seconds and the eFG% of those shots. That is a pretty good measure of a team's transition offense. 

Team    %W/I 10 Sec eFG%
Wyo 29.3% 51.3%
AFA 21.3% 54.9%
BSU 24.3% 59.4%
CSU 16.6% 49.0%
FSU 23.9% 63.8%
Nev 24.2% 61.1%
UNLV 24.1% 52.7%
SDSU 24.7% 53.6%
SJSU 21.6% 50.6%
UNM 22.7% 55.1%
USU           22.3%      60.0%

This shows that:

Wyoming attempts the highest percentage of shots within 10 seconds, by a wide margin. 
FSU has the highest eFG% on shots within 10 seconds
Nevada and BSU are very high with a nice combination of those two aspects 
CSU has the lowest % of their shot attempts within 10 seconds and also has the worst eFG% on those shots. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

11 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Basically, Wyoming played a style that wasn't conducive to them winning games.

Wyoming's eFG% on fast breaks was 51.3%. Overall their eFG% was 51.7%. So they were slightly better shooting on non fast breaks. 

Below  shows the overall eFG% and fast break eFG%

Overall Team FBeFG%

51.7% Wyo 51.3%
50.6% AFA 54.9%
52.0% BSU 59.4%
48.7% CSU 49.0%
51.1% FSU 63.8%
52.5% Nev 61.1%
45.1% UNLV 52.7%
47.8% SDSU 53.6%
49.8% SJSU 50.6%
50.2% UNM 55.1%
53.4% USU 60.0%

Every team except Wyoming had a better eFG% on fast breaks. 

7 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

Below  shows the overall eFG% and fast break eFG%

Overall Team FBeFG%

51.7% Wyo 51.3%
50.6% AFA 54.9%
52.0% BSU 59.4%
48.7% CSU 49.0%
51.1% FSU 63.8%
52.5% Nev 61.1%
45.1% UNLV 52.7%
47.8% SDSU 53.6%
49.8% SJSU 50.6%
50.2% UNM 55.1%
53.4% USU 60.0%

Every team except Wyoming had a better eFG% on fast breaks. 

Yeah they ran the most fast breaks. It will take time for add words to get the players he needs to run.add words to get the players he needs to run.

If you take the difference between a team's overall eFG% and their fast break eFG% and multiply by % of possessions they have a fast break, you can rate MWC teams on how valuable fast breaks are to each team. Below are those rankings with spaces to indicate a big gap in rankings: 

1 FSU

2 Nev
3 UNLV
4 BSU

5 USU 
6 SDSU
7 UNM
8 AFA

9 SJSU
10 CSU
11 Wyo

14 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

If you take the difference between a team's overall eFG% and their fast break eFG% and multiply by % of possessions they have a fast break, you can rate MWC teams on how valuable fast breaks are to each team. Below are those rankings with spaces to indicate a big gap in rankings: 

1 FSU

2 Nev
3 UNLV
4 BSU

5 USU 
6 SDSU
7 UNM
8 AFA

9 SJSU
10 CSU
11 Wyo

I always was impressed with BYU's fast breaks, but running the numbers, they would belong with the bottom 3 teams in the rankings above. That is because although they have a very high percentage of possessions concluded within 10 seconds(32.6%), their eFG% isn't much better in those possessions than overall (52.0% v 51.1%).

2 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

I always was impressed with BYU's fast breaks, but running the numbers, they would belong with the bottom 3 teams in the rankings above. That is because although they have a very high percentage of possessions concluded within 10 seconds(32.6%), their eFG% isn't much better in those possessions than overall (52.0% v 51.1%).

If would have even more meaning if you could break down fast breaks created off live ball turnovers vs fast breaks created off defensive rebounds.  I point that out because teams like Fresno play a style that focuses on creating turnovers to set up easy baskets.  As opposed to Boise who like to try and score in transition off rebounds.

6 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

If would have even more meaning if you could break down fast breaks created off live ball turnovers vs fast breaks created off defensive rebounds.  I point that out because teams like Fresno play a style that focuses on creating turnovers to set up easy baskets.  As opposed to Boise who like to try and score in transition off rebounds.

Fresno State

%Shots eFG% Type 
11.7% 65.4% Defensive Rebound
4.6% 56.6% Opponent Score
7.5% 65.7% Steal 

Colorado State 
%Shots eFG% Type

8.0% 44.7% Defensive Rebound
2.8% 37.0% Opponent Score
5.8% 60.8% Steal 

FSU has more fast breaks in every category and shots significantly better in each of those categories. This is a stark comparison between the best of worst in the conference in transition offense. I am surprised the CSU wasn't better in this area. 

Boise State (since you mentioned them)
%Shots eFG% Type

14.1% 57.2% Defensive Rebound
4.7% 60.0% Opponent Score
5.5% 64.4% Steal 

11 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

Fresno State

%Shots eFG% Type 
11.7% 65.4% Defensive Rebound
4.6% 56.6% Opponent Score
7.5% 65.7% Steal 

Colorado State 
%Shots eFG% Type

8.0% 44.7% Defensive Rebound
2.8% 37.0% Opponent Score
5.8% 60.8% Steal 

FSU has more fast breaks in every category and shots significantly better in each of those categories. This is a stark comparison between the best of worst in the conference in transition offense. I am surprised the CSU wasn't better in this area. 

Boise State (since you mentioned them)
%Shots eFG% Type

14.1% 57.2% Defensive Rebound
4.7% 60.0% Opponent Score
5.5% 64.4% Steal 

You're aware that CSU essentially had no bench and intentionally slowed games down by holding the ball to extend possessions? We had a coach that would stomp his feet when a quick shot was taken.  Its not a style that fit historically with a Eustachy coached team. I'm  sure there are Time Per Pssession stats lurking somewhere.

As a Wyoming fan, I will take pretty much anything other than recruiting a bunch of 6'9" athletic guys who try to take it to the rim every time and hope for a foul. I'm looking at you SDSU (perennial underachievers).

Wyoming is the CBI Champion! And if I could find any pic or meme that solidified just how spectacular that was, I would find it and post it!. However, I don't have that kind of time right now.

Either way, if Utah Valley, Coastal Carolina, Eastern Washington and Helms Deep are on are schedule next year, look out! Pokes are going to be draining some threes making your girlfriends hold their jackets. Let's see if Wyoming is picked to finish 10th in the conference next year.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:50 AM, Swoll Cracker said:

You're aware that CSU essentially had no bench and intentionally slowed games down by holding the ball to extend possessions? We had a coach that would stomp his feet when a quick shot was taken.  Its not a style that fit historically with a Eustachy coached team. I'm  sure there are Time Per Pssession stats lurking somewhere.

2015-2016 season CSU was:

W/I 10 eFG%
21.0% 51.1% (overall eFG% 50.4%)

CSU is still part of the bottom 3.