Guest #1Stunner

Hair Thompson? - Do you want a change in MWC leadership?

Hair Thompson? - Do you want a change in MWC leadership?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Hair Thompson? - Do you want a change in MWC leadership?

• YES. Fire Hair Thompson. Get new leadership. Especially with a new TV Contract on the horizon.
    • NO. Keep Hair Thompson. Hair does a good job, and only does what the Presidents want him to do.

Guest #1Stunner

As a BYU fan, I'm not totally against Hair Thompson.  He has accommodated BYU, and has allowed BYU to schedule MWC schools in late November.  This has admittedly helped BYU out.

But it sounds like Hair Thompson is moving away from TV, and to a streaming contract.   Doesn't look good on the TV situation.  Hair is the chief negotiator and architect of the MWC TV contract.

Thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks.  I get the impression that most of the Front Rangers think Thompson does a solid job.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

As a BYU fan, I'm not totally against Hair Thompson.  He has accommodated BYU, and has allowed BYU to schedule MWC schools in late November.

But it sounds like Hair Thompson is moving away from TV, and to a streaming contract.   Doesn't look good on the TV situation.  Hair is the chief negotiator and architect of the MWC TV contract.

Thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks.  I get the impression that most of the Front Rangers think Thompson does a solid job.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, trl87 said:

giphy.gif

I thought Wyoming fans were pleased with the Root Sports contract that Hair was able to negotiate.  

Root Sports doesn't require late start times, if I understand correctly, which is huge for Wyoming (so many fans having to travel to the games)

I would be fine if they got a new commish..The new person may have some fresh ideas.  However, the presidents make every single decision in this conference..Unless said presidents are willing to grant some actual power to a commissioner it is unlikely that the conference could get a top notch candidate to even consider the gig at all..

I am not a fan of the guy, or the tone the Conference has set with regards to sitting back and being so reactionary to the changing landscape; but at the same time I would be interested in hearing what he/the MWC should have done differently. 

Adding BSU/Fresno State back in the mid-2000's and not adding SJSU are about the only things I can really think of.

The fact is that the MWC is pretty much mid-range in so many ways, and I don't know how that can realistically be changed.

Gonzaga ain't coming. BYU ain't coming back. Houston ain't coming. Any other realistic potential expansion adds are far more likely to devalue the Conference than adding anything.

• Like 2

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

Without reading the previously posted opinions...

I want the best commish we can get.  I want a commish with significant influence with other commishes.  I want a commish with significant respect of and influence with the media.  I want a commish with ins to most of the bowl organizations.  I want Midas.

That said, of course, there isn't such a guy/gal.

I think the biggest problem with the MWC is the vision and the strategy to get there.  That is the role of Thompson's board of directors.  Sure, Thompson has a role in working that vision and strategy, but at the end of the day, it is set by his board, not him.

So honestly, my opinion is from afar.  Thompson might be doing a great job towards the vision and strategies set out for him by his board.  Or, he might be doing an absolutely horrible job.  I don't know.

I don't like the vision or strategy I see out of that office.  I don't know if it's Thompson or our presidents and ADs.

And admittedly, I'm as ignorant as I can be on all of the issues that athletic departments and conferences have to deal with these days.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I would be fine if they got a new commish..The new person may have some fresh ideas.  However, the presidents make every single decision in this conference..Unless said presidents are willing to grant some actual power to a commissioner it is unlikely that the conference could get a top notch candidate to even consider the gig at all..

A good commissioner would be able to convince the Presidents by stating, "this is what we need to do to be successful and this is how we're going to get there" and then be able to follow through with it.  Craig Thompson hasn't proven he can do either.    

• Like 4

Was Craig Thompson doing a good job when the league was formed and eventually became prominent on the national stage? Was he doing too good of a job when two of the conferences most successful teams got poached to join richer conferences?

Whenever I hear this "Hair Thompson" bullshit, it mostly sounds like sour grapes from the fans a few schools who got left behind. Just maybe, he's doing what's best for the conference as a whole. How would raising the profile of certain schools, possibly making them a more attractive target for other conferences, help the MWC in the long run?

2 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

Is he really that bad? Those voting yes either forgot, or never truly experienced the Karl Benson regime in the WAC. You can do a whole lot worst for a commissioner.

The fact that despite everything the WAC had going against it--Benson came thisclose to killing the MWC says a lot about Thompson.

To be fair--Thompson has had really nothing to work with the past few seasons.

1 hour ago, RamSack said:

A good commissioner would be able to convince the Presidents by stating, "this is what we need to do to be successful and this is how we're going to get there" and then be able to follow through with it.  Craig Thompson hasn't proven he can do either.    

No argument from me on that point..However, I do not think these presidents can get a good commissioner and they are obviously okay with the one they have..

4 hours ago, TheDoggFather said:

Is he really that bad? Those voting yes either forgot, or never truly experienced the Karl Benson regime in the WAC. You can do a whole lot worst for a commissioner.

Benson is twice the commish Hair Thompson is.  He has the Sunbelt going in the right direction and he doesn't wear a dead possum on his head.

2 hours ago, WAC_FAN said:

The fact that despite everything the WAC had going against it--Benson came thisclose to killing the MWC says a lot about Thompson.

To be fair--Thompson has had really nothing to work with the past few seasons.

Bullshit. Benson was the guy in charge when shit went down that was going to happen anyway. He has made a career Forrest Gumping his way through life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheDoggFather said:

Bullshit. Benson was the guy in charge when shit went down that was going to happen anyway. He has made a career Forrest Gumping his way through life.

I definitely think he helped move things along.  Just made the mistake of trusting FS and Nevada.

In any case he did a really good job of maximizing the successes of Boise (and other programs having good seasons) and was able to parlay that into fooling most people that the WAC was the MWC's equal.

Speaking of the Sun Belt--remember how shitty it was when Thompson was it's commish?  Once he left for the MWC it takes off, becomes an all sports conference, graduates several programs into 1A football that have then found success in other conferences.  They became way more successful after he left.

It's hard for the typical fan to truly evaluate how well or poorly he is doing his job.  It's one of those things we just have to leave up to the presidents & AD's to decide.  I do think he probably gets a lot of criticism on here for things that are beyond his control, like the entire conference sucking. 

• Like 1

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama