halfmanhalfbronco

LOTR vs Star Wars vs Harry Potter

LOTR vs Star Wars vs Harry Potter  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

17 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

the one with Spock...

^ this.  I mean I love Star Wars and I really liked LOTR but I'm a Trekkie.  I've also never read nor have I ever watched any of the Harry Potter movies. 

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

It has got to be the Tolkien Universe for me.  From the Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, the 12 volume histories of Middle earth to the Lord of the rings it is the richest of the universes.  The fact that Tolkien created workable languages is pretty amazing as well.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mugtang said:

^ this.  I mean I love Star Wars and I really liked LOTR but I'm a Trekkie.  I've also never read nor have I ever watched any of the Harry Potter movies. 

I love Star Trek too and there would be no Star Wars without Star Trek but those Star Wars movies are the bomb!

Just now, DrBulldog said:

I love Star Trek too and there would be no Star Wars without Star Trek but those Star Wars movies are the bomb!

Absolutely.  But...Trek is way more in depth than Star Wars.  I will say Star Wars does the big screen better than Trek.  Trek has had as many flops at the box office as they've had successes. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, DrBulldog said:

very true...except I & II

that said, always remember that at their core...Star Wars is a movie series and Star Trek is a TV series...there has been Star Wars on TV and Star Trek movies, but in their heart, that's what they are. 

It's why I'm glad to see Trek returning to it's roots with Discovery

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Absolutely.  But...Trek is way more in depth than Star Wars.  I will say Star Wars does the big screen better than Trek.  Trek has had as many flops at the box office as they've had successes. 

I am always down for a new Star Trek movie but the Star Wars movies and the spin offs openings has become a family event.  For the Force Awakens and Rogue One, the wife and I had to travel to San Diego in order to take in those movie openings with our son (he lives and works in SD).  My grandsons are also big fans.  Pretty cool to have my passion for these movies come through the whole family, feels like I have done something right.

9 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It has got to be the Tolkien Universe for me.  From the Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin, the 12 volume histories of Middle earth to the Lord of the rings it is the richest of the universes.  The fact that Tolkien created workable languages is pretty amazing as well.

I'm with you!

v0icAvfW.jpg

2 minutes ago, DrBulldog said:

I am always down for a new Star Trek movie but the Star Wars movies and the spin offs openings has become a family event.  For the Force Awakens and Rogue One, the wife and I had to travel to San Diego in order to take in those movie openings with our son (he lives and works in SD).  My grandsons are also big fans.  Pretty cool to have my passion for these movies come through the whole family, feels like I have done something right.

My daughter likes Star Wars. We went to see Rogue One opening night in IMAX and we will do the same thing for TLJ in December.  

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

My daughter likes Star Wars. We went to see Rogue One opening night in IMAX and we will do the same thing for TLJ in December.  

watched Rogue One again last night with a friend (3rd viewing)....my only complaint is I wish they had done more with Forest Whitaker's character and using what looks like giant hard drives is kinda silly at scarif...other than that, great movie.

• Like 2

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I considered adding Star Trek but thought that would open the doors to any other T.V. series.  Kept to the major Box offices with published books.

some of the best Star Trek adventures are the thousands of Trek novels...

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

watched Rogue One again last night with a friend (3rd viewing)....my only complaint is I wish they had done more with Forest Whitaker's character and using what looks like giant hard drives is kinda silly at scarif...other than that, great movie.

I also think a lot of the Tarkin scenes should've been Vader. 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Never heard of them.  I guess I will ad Star Trek....

There's a lot of good stories out there in the Trek universe.  Depends what you're interested in. You can follow Riker on the Titan or stay on DS9 and see what happens after the war.  Those are just a couple of examples, obviously.