bluerules009

Fishing Emergency Off Topic

If you can tune it rocket scientist I will pay you big.   

I have got the boat running several times.  I installed a pump last year.   But neither I or the imbeciles at Sierra sport can get anywhere with it now no matter how many times they say its fixed and give me a big bill.

I suspect the engine might be done for as it is older than most of you but i can't even get sierra sport to give me piston compression numbers.

Anyway just looking for a small engine mechanic that has a history of actually fixing something.

Guest Dr. Dre
5 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Anyone know of a good marine outboard motor mechanic in Reno?

@Nevada Convert's mom

No wait. She's not a mechanic. She just gets a train pulled by Marines and smells like a marina.

13 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

I have brought by boat into that sierra sport and Marine 3 times and they can't fix shit.   They actually lied about working on the engine last time I was there.

it seems to me when boat motors go bad, they stay bad. your story is not an uncommon one.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

I have brought by boat into that sierra sport and Marine 3 times and they can't fix shit.   They actually lied about working on the engine last time I was there.

Call the engine manufacturer and have them refer you to a certified mechanic.

If they refer you to Sierra tell them your issues.

6 minutes ago, fbpack said:

@Warbow he can do it

only if he can fly me over there and back, put me up in the best hotel for 5 days w/$250 a day per diem, provide me naked pictures of his wife, @4UNLV's phone number and have a different women "visit" me for all 5 days. Oh wait, he may as well buy a new motor and boat

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

11 minutes ago, Warbow said:

only if he can fly me over there and back, put me up in the best hotel for 5 days w/$250 a day per diem, provide me naked pictures of his wife, @4UNLV's phone number and have a different women "visit" me for all 5 days. Oh wait, he may as well buy a new motor and boat

What, you need a babysitter?

• Like 1

What kind of outboard and what are the issues? 2 or 4 cycle? Kicker or main? Most outboard engines are pretty simple, with the exception of the FICHT units and a couple of others. I went to OMC school when I was in the USCG during my first tour...not an expert, but decent enough to have made some extra cash on the side with CL ads.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

17 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

If you can tune it rocket scientist I will pay you big.   

I have got the boat running several times.  I installed a pump last year.   But neither I or the imbeciles at Sierra sport can get anywhere with it now no matter how many times they say its fixed and give me a big bill.

I suspect the engine might be done for as it is older than most of you but i can't even get sierra sport to give me piston compression numbers.

Anyway just looking for a small engine mechanic that has a history of actually fixing something.

If it's that old, I'm assuming it's a two-stroke.  I can't imagine why they won't tell you what the compression is, surely they checked?  I'm not going to try and play two-stroke mechanic on the internet, but it is a very simple engine.  Only three moving parts.  

You're smart looking for a new mechanic.  In the meantime you can check a few things yourself.  First check compression, you can borrow a compression tester from the local auto parts dealer.  You don't want the first reading, you want the max reading, just pull it several times to get a max number.  Next, pull the spark plug and exhaust to get a look at the condition of the cylinder.  If there is vertical scoring, the short block is toast.  If not, and compression is decent, a competent guy should be able to get you running.  Hit the internet and give a guy working out of some small warehouse space, who doesn't sell motors a shot.  You'd be surprised how many guys are just fixing things because they couldn't handle dealership politics, and a lot of these guys are as good as you'll find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

If it's that old, I'm assuming it's a two-stroke.  I can't imagine why they won't tell you what the compression is, surely they checked?  I'm not going to try and play two-stroke mechanic on the internet, but it is a very simple engine.  Only three moving parts.  

You're smart looking for a new mechanic.  In the meantime you can check a few things yourself.  First check compression, you can borrow a compression tester from the local auto parts dealer.  You don't want the first reading, you want the max reading, just pull it several times to get a max number.  Next, pull the spark plug and exhaust to get a look at the condition of the cylinder.  If there is vertical scoring, the short block is toast.  If not, and compression is decent, a competent guy should be able to get you running.  Hit the internet and give a guy working out of some small warehouse space, who doesn't sell motors a shot.  You'd be surprised how many guys are just fixing things because they couldn't handle dealership politics, and a lot of these guys are as good as you'll find.

All of that is good info. Often overlooked is the priming ball and hose / hose fittings. After that, check the small fuel pump on the side of the block...easily overlooked too. Pull the flywheel and use some emery cloth on the magneto surfaces, then a light wipe with machine oil.

Even a motor with lower compression numbers will usually run okay as long as the compression is reasonably even across each hole.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dogs4Me said:

All of that is good info. Often overlooked is the priming ball and hose / hose fittings. After that, check the small fuel pump on the side of the block...easily overlooked too. Pull the flywheel and use some emery cloth on the magneto surfaces, then a light wipe with machine oil.

Even a motor with lower compression numbers will usually run okay as long as the compression is reasonably even across each hole.

Good luck.

Also some good advice.  He did mention that he already replaced the fuel pump.

What I'm thinking is that if you've got good compression and a clean cylinder, then the motor is capable of running.  As you said, even with mediocre compression, it'll run.  It won't run good, but the situation will be consistent.  Not run one day, and fail the next.  If things are right with cylinder walls and rings, then it's just a matter of components (or in a rare case a bad crank seal, rare that it would act like this though).

Blues, listen to Dogs4Me, if the core is good then it is the fuel pump, the ignition module (hell, the way you describe it you may be dealing with points), or maybe even some extraneous part like the throttle control, who knows?  If the inside is clean, it is fixable.  If not, then you need a new engine.  It's that simple.

• Like 1

OK @DestinFlPackfan, time to come clean.  Share with us your knowledge of engines.  Clearly, it is significant as you are liking (and clearly understanding) what's being discussed.  I get the impression that you are far more versed in this field than you have volunteered to say.  

The two stroke engine is somewhat of a hobby of mine and used to be a part of my livelihood.  I'm always interested in talking to another two stroke fan.

25 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

OK @DestinFlPackfan, time to come clean.  Share with us your knowledge of engines.  Clearly, it is significant as you are liking (and clearly understanding) what's being discussed.  I get the impression that you are far more versed in this field than you have volunteered to say.  

The two stroke engine is somewhat of a hobby of mine and used to be a part of my livelihood.  I'm always interested in talking to another two stroke fan.

Just a shade tree mechanic. Grew up on a farm in Oklahoma. As a kid I learned how to fix about every damn thing you could imagine. It was a necessity. We couldn't pay someone so we did it ourselves. 

I'm "liking" the posts because more people should know how to diagnose and fix their own things....It's becoming a lost art.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Just a shade tree mechanic. Grew up on a farm in Oklahoma. As a kid I learned how to fix about every damn thing you could imagine. It was a necessity. We couldn't pay someone so we did it ourselves. 

I'm "liking" the posts because more people should know how to diagnose and fix their own things....It's becoming a lost art.

Wish I could triple like this.  I advise a lot of repair shops, and I always advise them to go get the farm kid that learned it the hard way.  He'll never let you down.  I also work with a few trade schools.  My biggest push with them is that when a kid is ready, you pull the manual and don't answer questions.  He/she needs to figure it out.  It results in some great engine techs.

I'm a fan of the "shade tree" population.  I love what happens with the shade tree's when they get some technical training.  The "because I had to figure it out" coupled with the formal technical crap tends to result in the person you really want to work on your engine.

5 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

What, you need a babysitter?

I need someone to drop off Kalua with while I work on his motor.  

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

22 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Wish I could triple like this.  I advise a lot of repair shops, and I always advise them to go get the farm kid that learned it the hard way.  He'll never let you down.  I also work with a few trade schools.  My biggest push with them is that when a kid is ready, you pull the manual and don't answer questions.  He/she needs to figure it out.  It results in some great engine techs.

I'm a fan of the "shade tree" population.  I love what happens with the shade tree's when they get some technical training.  The "because I had to figure it out" coupled with the formal technical crap tends to result in the person you really want to work on your engine.

I too am a fan of the trades and was a curious kid when I was growing up. Built my first mini bike from a frame I saw at a yard sale and an old Briggs & Stratton in my grandfathers barn. I pieced it all together from those two main components and a Western Auto catalog...learned a bunch by going it on my own.

Too many folks these days don't understand the basics enough to do basic troubleshooting of anything it seems...my boys and daughter will have a hand in building their first vehicles just for this purpose. If they want it bad enough, they will have to learn the basics.

• Like 3

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Also some good advice.  He did mention that he already replaced the fuel pump.

What I'm thinking is that if you've got good compression and a clean cylinder, then the motor is capable of running.  As you said, even with mediocre compression, it'll run.  It won't run good, but the situation will be consistent.  Not run one day, and fail the next.  If things are right with cylinder walls and rings, then it's just a matter of components (or in a rare case a bad crank seal, rare that it would act like this though).

Blues, listen to Dogs4Me, if the core is good then it is the fuel pump, the ignition module (hell, the way you describe it you may be dealing with points), or maybe even some extraneous part like the throttle control, who knows?  If the inside is clean, it is fixable.  If not, then you need a new engine.  It's that simple.

I was thinking water pump, but will admit to not reading in too much detail due to a screaming 4 month old in my ear. Seems like that's what most shops do first for some reason...even if it is obviously something else. :)

• Like 1

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg