Jackrabbit

Liberals are Winning

It is educators favorite time of the year, standardized testing.  Teachers work to motivate their kids in many different ways to do their very best. 

Someone close to me teaches 4th grade. This teacher, a liberal democrat, told me that one of the top students made it known that they were not going to do well on purpose.   This is because the the kid said that it is the same thing as bullying classmates.  The kid does not want to stand out as being different. 

Well done liberals.

18 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

It is educators favorite time of the year, standardized testing.  Teachers work to motivate their kids in many different ways to do their very best. 

Someone close to me teaches 4th grade. This teacher, a liberal democrat, told me that one of the top students made it known that they were not going to do well on purpose.   This is because the the kid said that it is the same thing as bullying classmates.  The kid does not want to stand out as being different. 

Well done liberals.

Cool story. 

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Well done liberals.

Sounds like a parenting issue.

Or the kid just wants the attention.  Everybody loves to be a martyr.  

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Well done liberals.

I am not a fan of stanardized, but him getting bullied would happen since his grades are likely higher than others anyway, wouldn't it?  Heaven forbid curved grading!

Our education system is a joke.  It's tailored to the teachers and not the students.  Standardized tests are pointless.  Students should be taught based on how they learn best not how the government says they should learn.

• Like 5

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

26 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

Didn't think there would be any honest discussion here.  

Maybe because your story is just a single anecdote from one classroom that you're stretching to make into a larger liberal/conservative issue. 

My nephew scored very well on his standardized tests and his mother had to tell him to stop telling other kids his scores because it was making his classmates feel bad. GOD DAMN LIBERALS!!!

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mugtang said:

Our education system is a joke.  It's tailored to the teachers and not the students.  Standardized tests are pointless.  Students should be taught based on how they learn best not how the government says they should learn.

No worthwhile teacher wants to teach to those stupid tests. They're a mechanism to make kids hate school and avoid learning later in life. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Standardized testing is a joke.  I always did poorly on those, and my friend did really well.  When it came to actual learning, the results were flipped.

lol, I remember my parents telling me to get every question on the ASVAB wrong...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

How is this remotely a liberal thing?  Pretty sure it was a conservative strategy to hide themselves in the masses to avoid pollsters.  Republicans and Democrats alike are not in favor of standardized testing.  Who is "pro-bullying"?

Thread title fail :wacko:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Am I the only one in favor of standardized testing? I loved taking those things; it was homework and projects that I hated.

How else are we going to compare students, classes, schools, and states?

Nope. I loved them. Used to crush the shit out of them.

• Like 5

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

16 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

How can you anyway. Even within states. In districts even. It's dumb to compare students who come from upper crust families with libraries full of books and parental involvement with those who don't know where they are sleeping tonight. 

I would be more for progression testing.  The class would be tested on day 1 of the school year and then at the end of the year to show relative progression.  You could throw out the top and bottom 5% of scores and then see the relative progression of the class as a whole.  You have to be very careful about using testing to measure teacher performance but I have never heard of a very "fair" way to evaluate teachers.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nomascows said:

I would be more for progression testing.  The class would be tested on day 1 of the school year and then at the end of the year to show relative progression.  You could throw out the top and bottom 5% of scores and then see the relative progression of the class as a whole.  You have to be very careful about using testing to measure teacher performance but I have never heard of a very "fair" way to evaluate teachers.  

The immediate issue is that teachers will see this as pure "Teach to the exam". 

Even the teachers I know don't like standardized tests, as it essentially structures the curriculum.  But you can bet your bottom dollar their kids won't be the worst test scores in the school.  :D