18 minutes ago, mugtang said:

That's an awful lot of non conference games every season. And you guys are going to rent out your stadium to the PAC-12 for their title game.  That's awfully presumptuous of you assuming you'll never host the MWC title game. 

Not only this, but very few fans follow teams that go 0-12 every year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Which is much different from ending football.

I just don't think UNLV is philosophically there. I don't know that they will be as long as their "peer" institutions still have football. The destruction of the MWC might be the only thing that could cause the school to pull the plug. That's the only thing I'd be worried about.

This, dropping football would mean joining the Big West and admitting defeat. As long as the MW exists I doubt UNLV will drop, no matter how bad the program gets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Which is much different from ending football.

I just don't think UNLV is philosophically there. I don't know that they will be as long as their "peer" institutions still have football. The destruction of the MWC might be the only thing that could cause the school to pull the plug. That's the only thing I'd be worried about.

If UNLV were a founding member, I'd agree, but they, along with SDSU, have always been the round pegs in a box full of square holes. While SDSU found success in both sports and gained footing, UNLV hasn't gotten there yet.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

If UNLV were a founding member, I'd agree, but they, along with SDSU, have always been the round pegs in a box full of square holes. While SDSU found success in both sports and gained footing, UNLV hasn't gotten there yet.

And we still have football despite the lack of success. We aren't going to pull up stakes and move to a different conference just because we are getting the same results in football that we have always gotten (outside of 3 good seasons). I just don't see us moving to an NFL stadium suddenly changing UNLV's mind on football. The only thing that would cause a sea change would be if the MWC folds or if the MWC gives us an ultimatum of some kind, and then UNLV has to do some serious soul searching to see if it finally wants to have a legitimate football program. Otherwise we just stay where, and who, we are.

4 hours ago, Cincy said:

It's a shame Oakland/Alameda County couldn't do something to build a new stadium.

But their loss is Nevada's gain.

The city of Oakland, its school district and probably also Alameda County have been horribly mismanaged for decades. I would feel a lot more sorry for the people living there if they hadn't allowed that to happen. Maybe this will be enough of a kick in the ass for the politicians to do something so the A's don't leave too.

But 'grats to LV and probably also UNLV fans. Since so much of the money to pay for the stadium is coming from taxpayers, maybe UNLV won't be just an afterthought as one of the residents of the stadium like SDSU always was at San Diego Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The city of Oakland, its school district and probably also Alameda County have been horribly mismanaged for decades. I would feel a lot more sorry for the people living there if they hadn't allowed that to happen. Maybe this will be enough of a kick in the ass for the politicians to do something so the A's don't leave too.

But 'grats to LV and probably also UNLV fans. Since so much of the money to pay for the stadium is coming from taxpayers, maybe UNLV won't be just an afterthought as one of the residents of the stadium like SDSU always was at San Diego Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium.

That's my hope as well, but NFL teams are notorious for being extremely uncooperative with the local Uni's. Maybe this will be different, but I'd be surprised if it is... especially given the first draft lease agreement proposed by the Raiders.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

And we still have football despite the lack of success. We aren't going to pull up stakes and move to a different conference just because we are getting the same results in football that we have always gotten (outside of 3 good seasons). I just don't see us moving to an NFL stadium suddenly changing UNLV's mind on football. The only thing that would cause a sea change would be if the MWC folds or if the MWC gives us an ultimatum of some kind, and then UNLV has to do some serious soul searching to see if it finally wants to have a legitimate football program. Otherwise we just stay where, and who, we are.

UNLV is above the Mountain West, so the thought of being booted is laughable.  We're doing them a favor and not the other way around.

Just now, ph90702 said:

UNLV is above the Mountain West, so the thought of being booted is laughable.  We're doing them a favor and not the other way around.

How are you above the MWC?  

This should be good. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Or if attendance falls below NCAA requirements or if Mark Davis starts threatening UNLV's rights to the venue. I see a whole host of new threats that come with sharing a stadium with an NFL team. Everyone keeps saying UNLV Football couldn't get any worse, but yes, things CAN get worse for the program...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Just now, Wyovanian said:

Or if attendance falls below NCAA requirements or if Mark Davis starts threatening UNLV's rights to the venue. I see a whole host of new threats that come with sharing a stadium with an NFL team. Everyone keeps saying UNLV Football couldn't get any worse, but yes, things CAN get worse for the program...

The NCAA requirements have never been enforced.

Davis can threaten all he wants. The Stadium Authority has final say and that power will remain. It also has a UNLV member representative on the board.

Even if things DO get worse for the program, that doesn't equal ending the program. UNLV football, while enjoying the luxury of healthy leg room in the stands on game day, is not without its influential supporters. More and more legislators are UNLV grads now. You'll never see them at the games, but their support is felt in the legislature.

9 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

That's my hope as well, but NFL teams are notorious for being extremely uncooperative with the local Uni's. Maybe this will be different, but I'd be surprised if it is... especially given the first draft lease agreement proposed by the Raiders.

This exactly. The initial term agreements were so far fetched, who knows how crazy ass Davis is going to be now that he got the approval from the owners. The Stadium Authority better keep his ass in check. 

Serious question @RebelRobert are you related to this woman at all?  Are you the same person? Is she your twin? Your wife? I need answers damnit! 

IMG_9299.PNG

• Like 1

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Serious question @RebelRobert are you related to this woman at all?  Are you the same person? Is she your twin? Your wife? I need answers damnit! 

IMG_9299.PNG

Leave our Rebel Girls alone.  She is beautiful and you are not.  God Bless our Rebel Girls.  

• Like 2

Just now, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Leave our Rebel Girls alone.  She is beautiful and you are not.  God Bless our Rebel Girls.  

I never claimed to be beautiful.  In fact, I'm butt ugly. 

4 hours ago, Byutop25 said:

Pros and cons like anything in life but this is a lot different than than the San Diego situation. The rebels will be playing in a state of the art stadium close to the campus. Getting home and homes with p5 programs will be a lot easier for them than other programs in the mountain west.

Sorry. As if Qualcomm wasn't close to SDSU's campus. As if playing in Qualcomm made it easier for SDSU to get home and homes with P5 schools although no P5s except Cal, Stanford, WSU, ASU, Arizona and Oregon State have agreed to SDSU home and homes over the last 20 years. We have recently gotten UCLA to finally agree to a home and home rather than just a 2-for-1 but I think that has a lot to do with how much our football program has improved.

2-for-1s for UNLV in that stadium? Absolutely. However, unless the Rebels improve I'm not feeling many home and homes.

Boom goes the dynamite.

UNLV fans celebrating the NFL and new stadium don't know what it's like to play in a city/stadium with the NFL. 

Theres a reason SDSU fans celebrated the Chargers leaving.