415hawaiiboy

Hey MWC Hawaii Needs Help With Online Streaming Situation

Per today's article in the StarAdvertiser, Hawaii football's live streaming situation is still uncertain (excerpts of article below).  Please tell your AD that this needs to be fixed before the season starts or else you will not see your game against Hawaii. Hawaii needs the Conference's help.  We have 5 months until the season.

This affects all of us, particularly MWC teams who play Hawaii this year (home or away, that is not on national TV).  Last year, Hawaii games were not shown on the MWC live streaming because of a dispute with our cable company (Charter) about fans in Hawaii circumventing the geo-blocking feature, helping to lead to a decline in PPV subscriptions (also it was Norm Chow's final season and the fanbase declined during his tenure). Charter refused to allow the live stream to be broadcasted outside of Hawaii.  The result was for our turnaround 2016 season, fans outside of Hawaii and our opponents could not watch the majority of Hawaii's games, even if they wanted to pay.  All live streaming was stopped.  Charter was able to sell rights to one opponent's local TV station.  Hawaii's home game against UNLV was broadcasted by a local Las Vegas TV provider.

Stay tuned regarding what Hawaii should do next.  However, for the Conference's sake, fans of Hawaii opponents need to tell their AD folks that this situation needs to be resolved and is unacceptable.  I think one direction is to boycott Charter cable in Hawaii.  What would you do if this happen to your team?  Any suggestions?  Mahalo.    

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"  ...  what is less sharply in focus is the future of live streaming of Rainbow Warrior football. After a year of tinkering we might not know even at kickoff of the season opener, five months hence.
While live streaming of many of UH’s other Big West Conference-based sports, including Rainbow Wahine volleyball, resumed in late 2016 after a blackout, football in the Mountain West remains a whole other issue. One apparently not easy for a quick solution where technological and varied constituencies are involved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m optimistic we’re going to figure it out, but I can’t put a percentage on being able to do it (by the Aug. 26 season opener),” said David Matlin, UH athletic director.

The technical ability to block internet protocol addresses in Hawaii allowed Oceanic to make the games available on the continent to the families of UH players, alums, potential Rainbow Warrior recruits and fans of other MWC teams without the requirement of pay-per-view purchase.

But UH and conference officials have said increasing numbers of technically akamai island-based fans found avenues to circumvent geofencing, as the geographically-based restrictions are known, and access the games without subscribing.
Tumbling subscription numbers in 2015, they came to understand, were not solely related to the team’s string of consecutive losing seasons.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of importance to Oceanic — and by extension UH — was Oceanic’s ability to maintain the exclusivity of PPV content, for which the carrier this year pays the school a minimum of about $2.4 million. For UH, which does not share in the MWC TV rights pot, that up-front money represents about 6 percent of the athletic department’s budget and can grow if additional sales targets are hit.
The current contract, which runs through June of 2020, assures Oceanic “full” rights to any and all media including, “TV, online, mobile or on demand …”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, as the 2016 season progressed, UH and the MWC got complaints from followers of the Rainbow Warriors’ opponents who suddenly found themselves blacked out. “There was definitely some feedback,” a UH spokesman said.

A Las Vegas TV station cut a deal to bring the Oceanic feed into its market but time zone differences made that less attractive in other areas.  ...

The MWC contracts with the networks, from whom UH does not share in the revenue, run through the 2019-20 school year.
As for UH’s 2017 season, “It is still early in the process and we’re trying to find way to get it done correctly,” said Dan Schmidt, general manager and executive producer of UH sports on Oceanic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
staradvertiser.com/2017/03/26/sports/ferds-words/future-of-live-streaming-uh-football-in-question

36 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Hawaii tried playing on a different continent last year, and still nobody cared.

lol

UTEP vs Wyoming Australia    Attendance  19K and some change

Hawaii vs Cal  Australia   Attendance: 61,247

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

2 minutes ago, Warbow said:

lol

People love a freak show.

3 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:

People love a freak show.

nope they're just not into gay cowboys who win a conference title once every 50 years

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

3 minutes ago, Warbow said:

nope they're just not into gay cowboys who win a conference title once every 50 years

What continent are you going to conquer next with your powerhouse football program? Asia? Africa? No, maybe Antarctica might give a shit.

6 minutes ago, BodyBagGame said:

What continent are you going to conquer next with your powerhouse football program? Asia? Africa? No, maybe Antarctica might give a shit.

Wyoming, it's going to be strap-on free giveaway night. first 35K wearing a cowboy hat will receive one. they are talking about adding 70K more seats for this event.

42 minutes ago, Warbow said:

lol

So you're comparing an inaugural event in 1985 to something that happened after thirty years of American Football in Australia? Seriously?

Wyoming is ranked #62 in merchandise sales. Hawaii doesn't even make the top 75 list.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

Wyoming is ranked #62 in merchandise sales. Hawaii doesn't even make the top 75 list.

yea, those strap-ons with the mini cowboy hat on them sure sells fast.

6 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

What's with the Wyoming butt hurt?  Seriously though you won't get to see Hawaii play you guys this season.  There is 5 months to do something about that.  As far as I know, Wyo and Hawaii nobody gives a shit about us other than ourselves.  STFU mental midgets.

We're coming off a division championship season. Either we'll travel to watch it live (something Hawaii doesn't do) or it will get picked up for broadcast.

The "butthurt" is coming from you very own xeno-homophobic, self-loathing, mouth breathing, poi-drooling, Napoleanic Warbow...

10 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

We're coming off a division championship season. Either we'll travel to watch it live (something Hawaii doesn't do) or it will get picked up for broadcast.

The "butthurt" is coming from you very own xeno-homophobic, self-loathing, mouth breathing, poi-drooling, Napoleanic Warbow...

Well, this is my tread.  Trailer Park Conference banter can occur on other treads.  What I'm talking about is for the grown ups, people who would actually complain to their AD because they want to see their team play on TV (if they could not attend the game live).  Mahalo.

10 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Well, this is my tread.  Trailer Park Conference banter can occur on other treads.  What I'm talking about is for the grown ups, people who would actually complain to their AD because they want to see their team play on TV (if they could not attend the game live).  Mahalo.

A grown up and people who actually know their AD's, would probably call it a "thread". And it's not yours, its the board owner's, but you probably wouldn't understand. It's a capitalist pig kind of thing, not a Kalua pig kind of thing...

It also seems the real issue isn't with the Athletic Departments, but with a bunch of Hawaii fans too cheap to support their program.

Hey my spelling sucks, never been strong at that.  Hawaii fans have been paying this pay-per-view for over a decade.  Yes, there are ways around geo-fencing.  Even Netflix has not figured it out.  The real issue isn't the AD or other MWC school ADs.  The issue is fewer fans not paying PPV and the cable company wants its pound of flesh.  The losers are the fans like myself who live outside Hawaii and the opposing team fans, who relied on the live stream.  We are to suffer.  Therefore, we need to bitch and complain (and the Hawaii folks threaten to switch cable providers en masse) or else our suffering will become reality.  What might happen is a renegotiation of our media contract (to a lower $$$) and we might be coming to make up some of the loss proceeds via our MWC media welfare checks (partial welfare).  If we did away with PPV all together, we would ask for our full allotment of welfare. 

So you should care that Hawaii figures out its media deal, or else we will be asking for our share.  I personally hate blocking off our football games from casual fans via the PPV model.  Even tape delayed would be fine to protect attendance.

6 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Hey my spelling sucks, never been strong at that.  Hawaii fans have been paying this pay-per-view for over a decade.  Yes, there are ways around geo-fencing.  Even Netflix has not figured it out.  The real issue isn't the AD or other MWC school ADs.  The issue is fewer fans not paying PPV and the cable company wants its pound of flesh.  The losers are the fans like myself who live outside Hawaii and the opposing team fans, who relied on the live stream.  We are to suffer.  Therefore, we need to bitch and complain (and the Hawaii folks threaten to switch cable providers en masse) or else our suffering will become reality.  What might happen is a renegotiation of our media contract (to a lower $$$) and we might be coming to make up some of the loss proceeds via our MWC media welfare checks (partial welfare).  If we did away with PPV all together, we would ask for our full allotment of welfare. 

So you should care that Hawaii figures out its media deal, or else we will be asking for our share.  I personally hate blocking off our football games from casual fans via the PPV model.  Even tape delayed would be fine to protect attendance.

I doubt Hawaii would want to know the answer to that. Because of Hawaii's geography, the long-term sustainability of their athletic programs in an evolving media environment will always be a troublesome issue for the school. They just don't hold many chips at this particular table...

I have been supportive of Hawaii's association with the MWC even though I know second hand that things said about my alma mater by some members behind our backs were de-meaning.  I want to believe that we can go beyond the "airport meeting" attitude and work together and help the member schools.  If not, our conference deserves to be second rate.  Hope we are moving in the right direction, and the Conference's help with the Week Zero exemption and scheduling were positive signs.

I disagree with the world of college sports/media comment that Hawaii athletics is threatened long term.  Hawaii loves its athletic programs and being geographically isolated from the rest of the US makes the programs even more important.  Our athletics are now getting more funding from the state, including funds that were earmarked for sports tourism marketing (like the Pro Bowl).  We have some top Olympic sports and we are a football crazed state.  What we don't yet have figured out is the media and revenue model for football.  Is it PPV or free TV with commercials or tape delay? 

I can imagine for a state like Wyoming, successful athletics brings out fans from all over, in a region with low population density.  We all have our unique challenges.  Aloha.

9 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

I have been supportive of Hawaii's association with the MWC even though I know second hand that things said about my alma mater by some members behind our backs were de-meaning.  I want to believe that we can go beyond the "airport meeting" attitude and work together and help the member schools.  If not, our conference deserves to be second rate.  Hope we are moving in the right direction, and the Conference's help with the Week Zero exemption and scheduling were positive signs.

I disagree with the world of college sports/media comment that Hawaii athletics is threatened long term.  Hawaii loves its athletic programs and being geographically isolated from the rest of the US makes the programs even more important.  Our athletics are now getting more funding from the state, including funds that were earmarked for sports tourism marketing (like the Pro Bowl).  We have some top Olympic sports and we are a football crazed state.  What we don't yet have figured out is the media and revenue model for football.  Is it PPV or free TV with commercials or tape delay? 

I can imagine for a state like Wyoming, successful athletics brings out fans from all over, in a region with low population density.  We all have our unique challenges.  Aloha.

Well spoken, sir.