sebasour

OT: USA vs Honduras Tonight

Anyone watching the US-Honduras World Cup Qualifier tonight? If we don't we win we're probably not going to The World Cup next summer, so it's a massive game.

After losing our first 2 games, the first in the dying seconds to Mexico and the second was just an outright murder by Costa Rica we currently sit dead last in our 6 team group. We need to finish 4th to qualify for a playoff against an Asian team and the top 3 qualify for Russia automatically. There's still 8 games left, but coming back after losing our first 3 would be near impossible to come back from.  

14 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Anyone watching the US-Honduras World Cup Qualifier tonight? If we don't we win we're probably not going to The World Cup next summer, so it's a massive game.

After losing our first 2 games, the first in the dying seconds to Mexico and the second was just an outright murder by Costa Rica we currently sit dead last in our 6 team group. We need to finish 4th to qualify for a playoff against an Asian team and the top 3 qualify for Russia automatically. There's still 8 games left, but coming back after losing our first 3 would be near impossible to come back from.  

I will watch.  I don't think we are quite to must win territory.  After what Mexico did in qualifying for the last World Cup, there is still time to regroup.  We do probably need to at least get a tie.  

40 minutes ago, sebasour said:

Sweet 16, Nikola Jokic's continued destruction of the NBA, and a World Cup qualifier. I love random excellent sports nights. 

• Like 2

I like the starting lineup although I'm not very familiar with Lletget.

I think people kind of take for granted how far the player pool has come for the national team. We're missing four first choice players (Jones, Fabian, Wood, and Yedlin) but we shouldn't miss a beat.

Guest Cowboy Junky

Deuce with the hat trick and we got an impressive beat down of Honduras.

Deuce is the best ball striker in U.S. history. Barring a disaster, he's likely going to break Landy Cakes record. He's only two behind.

Go USA!!

Guest Cowboy Junky
40 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Christian Pulisic was the most impressive player on the field.  I hope he never plays a game in the MLS.  Hopefully others will follow him to the Champions League.

I don't know if he was more impressive than a hat trick, but he did assist three and get his own.

I have to agree with the MLS comment though. I see him ending up at Real Madrid. That's the team he loves.

I see a future a long ways down the road, when MLS is an all star league of all of Americas best talent, and that includes South America. Right now, it doesn't make sense. He needs to play at the best clubs in the world, and he will.

40 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

I hope he never plays a game in the MLS. Hopefully others will follow him to the Champions League.

Odd phrasing. The players would follow him to the Bundesliga. The Champions League is a tournament. 

Just now, Fort Fun said:

Odd phrasing. The players would follow him to the Bundesliga. The Champions League is a tournament. 

Yes, and it is the top tournament in the world.  The US needs players that are good enough to play on teams that can qualify for the tournament and don't want to take the easy way out and play in the US.  So many of the US stars want the easy way and come home to play in the US against lesser competition.  It would be great if some of the other players see him and make the sacrifice of going to Europe to face better competition and make themselves better.  Small fish - big pond instead of the other way around.

Guest Cowboy Junky
8 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Yes, and it is the top tournament in the world.  The US needs players that are good enough to play on teams that can qualify for the tournament and don't want to take the easy way out and play in the US.  So many of the US stars want the easy way and come home to play in the US against lesser competition.  It would be great if some of the other players see him and make the sacrifice of going to Europe to face better competition and make themselves better.  Small fish - big pond instead of the other way around.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons Landy Cakes never lived up to his full potential. He failed in his attempts to make it internationally, until his later loan spells. He was a dud when he was young, unless he was in MLS or in Concacaf.

Christian is excelling at the highest level. Aside from the World Cup campaign, Landy never stuck around long enough to get established in the highest levels of the club soccer circuit. 

It kind of speaks negatively to the the quality of our pool to say that an 18 year old is our best player, but Christian Pulisic would be the best player in a lot of countries pools right now.

He's playing lights out at 18.

24 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Hot take. You sound like those college football fans who say "Why doesn't Boise join a better conference?"

Just now, Fort Fun said:

Hot take. You sound like those college football fans who say "Why doesn't Boise join a better conference?"

But it is much easier than that.  Players don't have to start in the top leagues.  Surely the US has good enough players to play in the second or third leagues in England.  The language wouldn't be a barrier there.  Sure they would make less money, but it would allow them the opportunity to work their way up to their full potential.  I don't think many US players reach their full potential because they take easy money to play against lesser competition.

6 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

But it is much easier than that.  Players don't have to start in the top leagues.  Surely the US has good enough players to play in the second or third leagues in England.  The language wouldn't be a barrier there.  Sure they would make less money, but it would allow them the opportunity to work their way up to their full potential.  I don't think many US players reach their full potential because they take easy money to play against lesser competition.

Yeah.... no.

lvgtcrasc6yrdxiuqtxx.jpg

What other hot takes do you have?

4 hours ago, masterfrog said:

The part being emphasized is average.  In the US, the national team players make the top salaries.  In other leagues, they might make the minimum.

God dammit, I'll bite.

I thought you were talking about young guys, but you're suggesting that the veteran USMNT players drop down to League One or the Championship and they'll IMPROVE? Are you high? Have you ever seen a League One game? Do you watch the Championship?

Look, I bet you're probably new to soccer and think England is this magical soccer wonderland, but a 29-year old Michael Bradley playing for +++++ing Millwall in +++++ing League One isn't going to unlock some unseen potential after he grew up playing for some of the top sides in Europe for almost a decade. That is a ridiculous suggestion and you should feel bad about yourself.

So for fun, these are all the current USMNT/MLSers that "chose" MLS over staying in Europe (because we all know that 30-year old American soccer players are a super hot commodity in the European transfer market):

• GK- Tim Howard- joined MLS at 38 years old after 14 years in England. Almost 40, won't unlock his full potential unless he plays for Sheffield Wednesday.
  • GK- Brad Guzan- joining MLS at 32, played 9 years in England and now this lazy asshole just announced he's finishing his career in MLS. Jesus, Brad, afraid of a challenge?
  • LWB- DeMarcus Beasley- joined MLS at 32, 8 years in Europe worth nothing now because he's not currently playing for Scunthorpe. What a dick.
  • DM- Michael Bradley- joined MLS at 28, coach's son, moved to Europe at 19 and honed his skills there for a shade under a decade. Then this jerk threw his potential away because playing in League One at 29 years old would unlock a part of his game that Gladbach and Roma and Bob Bradley couldn't. Because that's how sports work.
  • AM- Alejandro Bedoya- joined MLS at 29, played 8 years in Europe and kinda plateaued, everyone knew the key to unlocking his full potential was a stint at Ipswich Town. What a selfish prick.
  • AM- Sacha Kljestan- joined MLS at 30, played 6 years in Europe and fell off the USMNT radar. Improved his form after re-joining MLS, but probably because he thought he was playing in Germany for Red Bull Leipzig.
  • DM- Jermaine Jones- joined MLS at 31, played in Europe his entire life, but that all means shit now because he's not playing for mother+++++ing Shrewsbury. SO MUCH UNREALIZED POTENTIAL!!!
  • F- Clint Dempsey- joined MLS at age 30, played 7 years in the top league in the world, scored more goals than any other USMNTer during that time, yet somehow didn't reach his full potential according to some doofus on an internet message board. If only he was currently playing in the English Championship... Someone get Huddersfield Town on the phone! The future of American soccer depends on it!
  • F- Jozy Altidore- joined MLS at age 26 after 8 years in Europe. He was a complete disaster minus one stint in the Netherlands, yet according to his agent masterfrog he could waltz over to an English club and get a roster spot but he isn't willing to "sacrifice enough". After flopping in Europe he's playing the best soccer of his career in MLS, but everyone knows he'd be better than Ronaldo if he was playing for Burton Albion instead.

So to recap: You're saying that grown men in their late 20's/early 30's who spent their athletic prime playing soccer in Europe won't realize their full potential unless they spend the twilight of their careers playing minor league soccer in England. I hope you read that and realize how stupid you sound.

Furthermore, if England is this magical wonderland of player development, why doesn't their national team ever win anything? Why do some of the top Premier League teams go full seasons below the maximum roster limit because they can't find 8 homegrown players who are good enough to make their team? Why aren't Jonathan Spector and Eric Lichaj stalwarts on the USMNT roster? According to your theory, those two should be among the greatest players in the history of the United States, right?

And last, there are currently more Americans playing soccer in Europe than at any point in human history. This is despite the fact that FIFA Article 19, the UK's stricter work permit laws, and the UEFA Homegrown Player Quota are designed to discourage Euro clubs from signing non-EU players now more than ever. You are being retarded and complaining about a problem that doesn't actually exist.

So what other hot takes do you have?  It's always exciting when new fans like yourself get interested in soccer.

• Like 1

Obviously you want players to go abroad if they can, but sitting on the bench in Europe or even starting for smaller teams in Europe is no longer better than playing in MLS. 

Look no further than the first goal scorer last night Sebastian Lletget. The guy spent 6 years rotting at West Ham where he could not ever make the first team. He comes to MLS, and within 2 years completely revitalizes his career and a regular national team contender.