mugtang

Wyking Jones gets Cal job

What a shit show that athletic department is. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I'm not familiar with the guy but Cal's modest historical success and tough academics make it at best an average power conference job and Jones has worked for some excellent HCs so I agree with bigd it could be a good hire.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I don't think anyone is saying that Muss was offered the job..He was a front runner and reportedly the choice of the AD.  The boosters wanted someone else.  Muss interviewed twice then removed his name from consideration..He may have figured he wouldn't get the job or decided he didn't want it bad enough to get in the middle of an AD/boosters battle..Who knows..

Guest #1Stunner

What evidence is there to suggest that Musselman is anything special??

Nevada had an OK season in the terrible MWC this year.  The rest of Musselman's resume sucks.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Nevada had an OK season in the terrible MWC this year.  The rest of Musselman's resume sucks.

I hope the rest of college basketball continues to think this way. The fact is we had a sub-300 RPI and 9 win season 2 years ago.

42 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I love you Stunner, thank you for being the straight man on this one.

Had to look up Musselman's "resume". Other than his two NBA stints, he's had winning records at every single head coaching stop; not just overall winning records but winning records every single year. That's amazing, don't you agree?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Musselman#Head_coaching_record

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

I don't think anyone is saying that Muss was offered the job..He was a front runner and reportedly the choice of the AD.  The boosters wanted someone else.  Muss interviewed twice then removed his name from consideration..He may have figured he wouldn't get the job or decided he didn't want it bad enough to get in the middle of an AD/boosters battle..Who knows..

...or he only did it to get UNR to up his pkg.

This could actually turn out pretty well for Cal. Wyking is a stud recruiter and pretty good player development coach. He seems to have a real passion for coaching and is a smart guy with a ton of connections. More likely that he succeeds than doesn't imo. 

13 hours ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

That was going to happen anyway. Though, maybe his interviewing with Cal upped it even more. 

Cal in the picture added leverage & urgency.