retrofade

Trump is going after the Freedom Caucus now

Just now, CPslograd said:

Ok, well don't complain about Obamacare anymore.  You're guys voted to keep it and added a trillion to the debt by doing so.

No, they refused to vote for the Obamacare II: Electric Boogaloo bill that Trump and Ryan put forward. 

46 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Well, our leverage isn't going to get any better.  It's going to get far worse.

It's not like we are going to get to just watch Obamacare collapse.  Once it starts failing, the democrats will say we have to poor more money into it, and trot out some poor kid that is going to lose his coverage.  So we'll wind up throwing more money at it.

Then it will eventually fail, and the democrats will put single payer in the next time they have the whole ball of wax.  Which was always their plan anyway.

I think Democrats are the one that just made a huge mistake   They could have voted for this and ran on it, saying Obamacare lite was a great deal and they are still relevant.

Now its possible real market based reform might be considered, something unrecognizable.  Something that might really excite fiscal conservatives.  No one was excited about this bill it was just something to pass to keep a promise.  Now I think there is a slim chance we see real reform.

• Like 2

Just now, retrofade said:

No, they refused to vote for the Obamacare II: Electric Boogaloo bill that Trump and Ryan put forward. 

Nope, they voted to keep Obamacare.  It's 100% on them.

they were already losing moderates by reworking the bill for the FC.  You are kidding yourself if you think the result of this will be a more conservative bill.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

Nope, they voted to keep Obamacare.  It's 100% on them.

they were already losing moderates by reworking the bill for the FC.  You are kidding yourself if you think the result of this will be a more conservative bill.  

No, nobody voted for it. Ryan pulled the bill after Trump tried to force House Republicans into doing what he wanted, or else. The GOP bill might have been even worse than Obamacare as it stands right now, it was an abortion of a bill that was nothing more than their way of putting their name on something and lining the pockets of insurance executives. 

2 hours ago, roswellcoug said:

Don't you mean "having someone else pay" for "increased" access?

I think we ought to send this health care "right" back to the states and make them responsible.  If CA wants to insure, say, illegals, let them do it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/30/californias-undocumented-kids-could-be-first-to-lose-medical-care-under-trump/

I don't care what they do with their own money - let them make the budgetary choices about who and what they can afford to cover.  

No wonder everyone loves Obamacare! The people on exchanges saw no increase in premiums!

Of course, the real premiums went up by 32% on average, but so did the subsidy. So everyone's happy! Other people's money!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/mar/23/barack-obama/obama-no-premium-hike-vast-majority-covered-govern/

2 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

No wonder everyone loves Obamacare! The people on exchanges saw no increase in premiums!

Of course, the real premiums went up by 32% on average, but so did the subsidy. So everyone's happy! Other people's money!

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/mar/23/barack-obama/obama-no-premium-hike-vast-majority-covered-govern/

Like I said, it's an argument about who pays for it.

• Like 1

The World Needs More Cowboys!

12 minutes ago, retrofade said:

No, nobody voted for it. Ryan pulled the bill after Trump tried to force House Republicans into doing what he wanted, or else. The GOP bill might have been even worse than Obamacare as it stands right now, it was an abortion of a bill that was nothing more than their way of putting their name on something and lining the pockets of insurance executives. 

That's all crap.  It's just a way of saying you'd rather just bitch about Obamacare than have to live with a compromise.

there are no more votes to be gained by moving right.  Every vote you gain you lose at least one in the middle.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

That's all crap.  It's just a way of saying you'd rather just bitch about Obamacare than have to live with a compromise.

there are no more votes to be gained by moving right.  Every vote you gain you lose at least one in the middle.

I agree with you. I find it very difficult to see how the GOP manages to pass a bill given the conflicting views within the party. A bill probably could be cobbled together between the Dems and the GOP moderates, but given how poisonous the word "compromise" is today, and how it's hard to see how anybody has any real political incentive to work together, I don't think that happens either.

I do hope and believe it could be the first milestone in Trump's decline and fall.

• Like 5

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

No, nobody voted for it. Ryan pulled the bill after Trump tried to force House Republicans into doing what he wanted, or else. The GOP bill might have been even worse than Obamacare as it stands right now, it was an abortion of a bill that was nothing more than their way of putting their name on something and lining the pockets of insurance executives

So, similar to the last time we did this?

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

22 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

The tea party candidates swore up and down for years they would repeal Obamacare. When push came to shove they didn't do it. 

Well, although I think they are a bunch of loons, I do have a certain respect for them. They had to feel tremendous pressure to cave in order to spare the new Administration a crushing defeat at its first legislative milestone. It was also a necessary precursor to tax reform. Without the savings it will be hard to keep the deficits at "normal" levels. They stuck to their guns. One wonders what happens to Ryan.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

4 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Polls are only as useful as the last one. Wait til November when next year's rates come out and check again.

There is no way the Senate Republicans help the Democrats fix Obamacare. They are going to have it repealed, even if they replace it with the exact same bill. Democrats will never vote to repeal it this cycle. If it can't be repealed they are going to let it circle the drain another year and hope to win the war of public opinion.

Hard to win the war of public opinion when you control the Senate, House and Presidency.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Well, although I think they are a bunch of loons, I do have a certain respect for them. They had to feel tremendous pressure to cave in order to spare the new Administration a crushing defeat at its first legislative milestone. It was also a necessary precursor to tax reform. Without the savings it will be hard to keep the deficits at "normal" levels. They stuck to their guns. One wonders what happens to Ryan.

I think it foreshadows more problems for the rest of the agenda.   The freedom caucus is my way or highway type of guys.   

3 minutes ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Don't get me wrong, I hated Trumpcare and supported their reasoning for opposing. But I also haven't spent years saying I was gonna do something the first chance I get, and then when push came to shove didn't do it.

Trump doesn't seem to hold it against Ryan. Bannon's got his knives out for him, though. Priebus might fall for this too. Bad day for those who don't want Steve Bannon to have more influence in the executive branch.

• Like 1

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, bluerules009 said:

It doesn't matter until we get close to an election.

I agree it's the first act but Republicans have had this problem for a while.  They are as likely to gain agreement as you and I are.  We have seen how likely that result is.

25 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I agree it's the first act but Republicans have had this problem for a while.  They are as likely to gain agreement as you and I are.  We have seen how likely that result is.

You and I have no motivation to agree.  The republicans have no choice but to replace Obamacare, it isn't whether it will happen or not, it is just a matter of when.  If this bill comes up next march it would pass with no problem because of the immediacy of the election cycle.

Plus republican generally don't include communists, so they are not as far apart in their disagreements as you and I.

If obamacare lite had passed today I think republicans would suffer for it in the election.  Democrats could tout success in that their plan was still in place just fixed a little.  Now republicans are going to struggle and squirm for a few months and everyone will see them work hard and when they do pass a bill it will at least obviously have required some work and thought.   

They will pass a bill they have no choice.

• Like 1