renoskier

Chase Jeter

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I actually think it's better to be more like Duke-Kentucky and have mostly one or two year players and sprinkle in four year players.  Half of the players in college transfer within two years.

Maybe that works for Duke and Kentucky. See ph, I have no problem admitting that Nevada isn't Duke or Kentucky, never was, probably never will be; doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the program one bit. You on the other hand wish to live in the past; a past of which you have absolutely no recognition or personal recollection. Sorry to break it to you but reality is that UNLV basketball now has more in common with Nevada than with Duke or Kentucky. 

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Maybe that works for Duke and Kentucky. See ph, I have no problem admitting that Nevada isn't Duke or Kentucky, never was, probably never will be; doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the program one bit. You on the other hand wish to live in the past; a past of which you have absolutely no recognition or personal recollection. Sorry to break it to you but reality is that UNLV basketball now has more in common with Nevada than with Duke or Kentucky. 

I don't see the point in going after a bunch of "four year guys" when you're likely only to get them for two years at most.  I don't have the numbers, but I would bet that no more than 40% of players play all four years and do it at one school.

3 hours ago, cardrater said:

On a side note... Nevada is high on a certain grad transfers list of schools. Would be a major get for Nevada. Could be a major impact player and would offset the loss of   Oliver if he does leave.

I didn't even see anything in the Den, do you have a link?

just fyi..

LV Sports Network @LVSportsNetwork

Duke transfer Chase Jeter looking at UCLA, USC, Gonzaga, Oregon, Nevada, UNLV, Arizona and Arizona State http://www.lvsportsnetwork.com/2017/03/23/jeter-leaves-duke-looking-to-transfer-closer-to-home/ 

ESPN 1100/100.9 FM @ESPNLasVegas

Dad Chris updated the Chase Jeter list adding San Diego State along with UNLV and the Pac-12 schools. http://www.lvsportsnetwork.com/2017/03/23/jeter-leaves-duke-looking-to-transfer-closer-to-home/ 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

just fyi..

LV Sports Network @LVSportsNetwork

Duke transfer Chase Jeter looking at UCLA, USC, Gonzaga, Oregon, Nevada, UNLV, Arizona and Arizona State http://www.lvsportsnetwork.com/2017/03/23/jeter-leaves-duke-looking-to-transfer-closer-to-home/ 

ESPN 1100/100.9 FM @ESPNLasVegas

Dad Chris updated the Chase Jeter list adding San Diego State along with UNLV and the Pac-12 schools. http://www.lvsportsnetwork.com/2017/03/23/jeter-leaves-duke-looking-to-transfer-closer-to-home/ 

UCLA, Arizona and Oregon he'd have to beat out some talent like at Duke...which he failed to do.

I could see schools like USC and ASU having mutual high interest. He'd probably be guaranteed a starter by the time he's eligible.

At Reno and SDSU...both head coaches might be different by the time he's eligible.

If he wants the comfort of home, UNLV.

He could want Gonzaga the most. Lots of winning and familiar Vegas faces.

• Like 3

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

13 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

UCLA, Arizona and Oregon he'd have to beat out some talent like at Duke...which he failed to do.

I could see schools like USC and ASU having mutual high interest. He'd probably be guaranteed a starter by the time he's eligible.

At Reno and SDSU...both head coaches might be different by the time he's eligible.

Gonzaga would be a good choice and he wouldn't have to worry about the coach leaving before he's even eligible to play. 

Maybe he wants to go home and play for the rebs.  But the rebs are a very bad team and if after two more seasons they still suck, Marvin's seat will be getting warm. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

18 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Agreed.  I think Gonzaga has to look pretty good to him right now.

23 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Gonzaga would be a good choice and he wouldn't have to worry about the coach leaving before he's even eligible to play. 

Maybe he wants to go home and play for the rebs.  But the rebs are a very bad team and if after two more seasons they still suck, Marvin's seat will be getting warm. 

Rebels were a very bad team this year. Perhaps worst ever. Only one way to go and that is up.

Year 2 should be better.

we have a lot of pieces returning and a couple starters who will be eligible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Rebels were a very bad team this year. Perhaps worst ever. Only one way to go and that is up.

Year 2 should be better.

You also have a good coach.  But he's got a deep hole to climb out of. The process may test your patience.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Year 2 should be better.

There may only be five returning players.

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

Agreed.  I think Gonzaga has to look pretty good to him right now.

I don't think Gonzaga is remotely interested.  He's not that good.  Kyle Wiltjer was sixth man of the year in the SEC when he transferred.  Jonathan Williams was the leading scorer at Missouri when he transferred.

He still has the cred to pick a school with some BB prominence. UNLV is not that school and isn't even near a path to become that school. We are set for a few years of mainly 2 star and lower 3 star ranked players. MM will need to prove something before he can sell anything to higher level players. A coaching career of zero top 50 wins and 2 top 100 wins won't do it. A near empty T&M won't do it. Mendenhall is icing on a stale cake. Right now the future of this program is on hold waiting for an actual series of accomplishments.  

4 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think we have a good shot at him because he wants to be near home, and the Nevada program is the polar opposite of UNLV, and Muss has his NBA experience that really helps 

Gonzaga might be a bit far and he probably wouldn't see much playing time because of the depth. 

kat.jpg

5 hours ago, quickdraw said:

He still has the cred to pick a school with some BB prominence. UNLV is not that school and isn't even near a path to become that school. We are set for a few years of mainly 2 star and lower 3 star ranked players. MM will need to prove something before he can sell anything to higher level players. A coaching career of zero top 50 wins and 2 top 100 wins won't do it. A near empty T&M won't do it. Mendenhall is icing on a stale cake. Right now the future of this program is on hold waiting for an actual series of accomplishments.  

It's been remarkable how UNLV has been able to maintain that mystique for 25 years after the Nat'l Champ.  Able to land 4-5* players, unfortunately a lot of schools passed on them because of one reason or another.  Rice wasn't tough enough to rein them in but Menzies might be.  Given enough time & support he could do well.

5 hours ago, quickdraw said:

except MM has developed a reputation for developing and getting bigs into the nba. i don't know if that will be enough to get jeter here, but plenty of playing time to showcase his skills might help, he'd be the star of the show.

54 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

except MM has developed a reputation for developing and getting bigs into the nba. i don't know if that will be enough to get jeter here, but plenty of playing time to showcase his skills might help, he'd be the star of the show.

QD has been bitter since his boy got canned. He was happy with beating big boys like Arizona and Oregon with talent alone and then getting romped in MWC play.