FormerFrog

Former Frog's thoughts on the MWC - 2017 edition

9 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I think you're wrong about Wyo ending up in the Big Sky. Instead, the Cowboys and the other MWC leftovers (perhaps excluding SJSU) will charge ~4 current Big Sky schools no entrance fee to join the mighty MWC.

If that did happen (understand the sarcasm this is wishful thinking on my part) would love to see Montana, MSU, South and North Dakota State join. Hawaii can go independent for financial benefit and San Jose State can just die already or go FCS. I know we offer absolutely nothing in terms of television market but at least we would bring overall competitive football and actually have fans in the stands.

29 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

If that did happen (understand the sarcasm this is wishful thinking on my part) would love to see Montana, MSU, South and North Dakota State join. Hawaii can go independent for financial benefit and San Jose State can just die already or go FCS. I know we offer absolutely nothing in terms of television market but at least we would bring overall competitive football and actually have fans in the stands.

While Montana does indeed have a very good thing going in terms of on field performance and fan attendance one could argue that both of these are functions of the FCS environment.  I'd becareful what you wish for as a high achieving FCS Montana team could very easily become an average or even below average performing G5 FBS team after a few years.  On field performance and attendance could in time suffer when your not posting conference leading or at the very least top half of the conference records and participating annually in a playoff but instead competing for largely irrelevant bowl games.  If Montana had been like Wyoming and from day one been a D1/FBS program would they have ever built the program they have today?  Now don't get me wrong I think Montana would do just fine transitioning to a watered down MWC if and in my opinion when the MWC losses 2-3 of its best teams due to the coming Big XII defections.  You got to ask yourself though, Is that really moving up?

10 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

It can't happen unless you four commit to a big increase in your athletic budget. However, that could be mitigated if the MWC would save more than half a million per year by firing Craig Thompson and replacing him with a chimpanzee willing to work for minimum wage. The chimp would be just as good a commissioner.

• Like 2

Boom goes the dynamite.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:52 PM, Warbow said:

I like your idea but kick out Wyoming instead and keep Utah St.

I don't know about you but as long as Wyoming is in the MWC, the image of this conference will never change. I think of Wyoming as a welfare team. Most people think of the Big Sky conference when they think of Wyoming. As should be.

No travel subs or we are out.

bye bye

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 3/22/2017 at 0:34 PM, Warbow said:

The irony is that Hawaii is providing welfare to a bunch of nobodies in a wannabe conference. I don't have to point out any schools here, you know who you are. Soon Hawaii will have the MWC by the balls and pull a BYU and go independent. Hawaii like BYU did, will get tired of supporting this lame ass conference full of coat tail riders. You know who you are, I don't have to point you out. Oh well what the hell, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado St, have been riding the coattails of BYU, Utah and TCU for years. Now they are riding Boise St's coattails and soon Hawaii's. It's a shame Wyoming wants to continue to act like a mid-major program when everyone knows they belong in the Big Sky with the Dakota's and Montana's.  

The NCAA does not provide us any welfare. The game zero and 13th game rule was put in place as a welfare program for schools who can't afford the travel to Hawaii. It's a way to make up the cost of traveling to Hawaii by scheduling a 13th home game with an extra bye week to play around with. None of this benefits Hawaii, we can afford to live without the 13th game as demonstrated previously.

The MWC is just a temporary stop for Hawaii on the road to a P-5 conference membership. The Pac-12 will come calling with-in the next 5 years, you heard it here first from me. They are just waiting for UNLV to get their shit together before they pull the trigger on a Hawaii/UNLV membership package.

Hawaii has to pay to play

11 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

I'd rather have Montana and Montana State than Hawaii and SJSU.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

I'd rather have Montana and Montana State than Hawaii and SJSU.

make the drop to FCS where you belong and you can have them all you want. and while you're at it, take San Jose St and Utah St. with you.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

4 minutes ago, Warbow said:

make the drop to FCS where you belong and you can have them all you want. and while you're at it, take San Jose St and Utah St. with you.

I'm not sure we can survive without our travel subs

22 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Did you inadvertently exclude SDSU or do you think UNLV has twice the potential of BYU, your school and "maybe Cincinnati"?

I think you're wrong about Wyo ending up in the Big Sky. Instead, the Cowboys and the other MWC leftovers (perhaps excluding SJSU) will charge ~4 current Big Sky schools no entrance fee to join the mighty MWC. It'll be an offer they can't refuse. Gotta keep propping up Craig Thompson's 401(k) after all.

No, I think UNLV is a gold mine waiting to be discovered. Hawaii, UNLV and SD St. would make great additions to the Pac-12. But, the Pac-12 already has the San Diego market and won't take them, you guys bring nothing to their bank account. On the other hand, Hawaii and UNLV bring them something they don't have.

Wyoming, the Dakota's, and the Montana's all belong in the same conference somewhere in FCS. Better yet, we trade Wyoming and San Jose St for Montana and Eastern Washington.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I'm not sure we can survive without our travel subs

take a bus

13 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

This would make a pretty good FCS conference.

1. Wyoming

2. Utah St.

3. Montana

4. Montana St.

5. North Dakota

6. North Dakota St.

7. South Dakota

8. South Dakota St.

9. Idaho

10. Idaho St.

• Like 2

This would be a good FCS conference also:

1. San Jose St.

2. Eastern Washington

3. Portland St.

4. UC Davis

5. Cal Poly

6. Sacramento State

7. Northern Arizona

8. Northern Colorado

9. Weber State

10. San Diego

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warbow said:

This would make a pretty good FCS conference.

1. Wyoming

2. Utah St.

3. Montana

4. Montana St.

5. North Dakota

6. North Dakota St.

7. South Dakota

8. South Dakota St.

9. Idaho

10. Idaho St.

This would be better than the MWC Mtn Division

Just now, pokebball said:

Nothing more than a break even solution for us.  Where's the value?

your career won loss record MAY inprove

3 minutes ago, Warbow said:

This would be a good FCS conference also:

1. San Jose St.

2. Eastern Washington

3. Portland St.

4. UC Davis

5. Cal Poly

6. Sacramento State

7. Northern Arizona

8. Northern Colorado

9. Weber State

10. San Diego

And this would be better than the MWC West Division

Just now, pokebball said:

This would be better than the MWC Mtn Division

Take out Wyoming and you may be right