retrofade

US temporarily bans most electronics on flights from the Middle East

The US just made traveling to certain parts of the world considerably more complicated, at least if you're a technology fan. Middle Eastern and African airlines (including Royal Jordanian and Saudia) say the US has asked them to institute a 96-hour ban on carrying most electronics on flights to or from the US, starting on March 21st. You can sit down with your phone or any necessary medical devices, but cameras, laptops and other gadgets will have to go into your checked baggage. The exact conditions of the ban aren't yet clear, but an American official said that "12+" airlines are covered, while Saudia exec Abdulrahman al Fahad mentioned 13 countries being affected.

The reason for the surprise restrictions isn't clear (Homeland Security isn't commenting as of this writing), but this kind of sudden yet short ban tends to be in response to a specific and imminent terrorist threat. The US' Transportation Security Administration is already worried about bogus devices being used to smuggle explosives, weapons and contraband aboard flights -- this suggests that there may have been plans for just such an attack. While there could be alternate motives for the ban, it's the most plausible explanation so far.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/20/us-bans-electronics-on-middle-eastern-airlines/

9 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I had a sword in my bag once and the guard at the Beirut Airport took it out and held it at my chest with a really serious look, then burst into laughter and gave it back to me and waved me through. 

Long ago (like '77), after 4 months of traveling around Mexico and Guatemala, I crossed back into the US from Mexicali with a 2 1/2 foot-long machete strapped to my backpack. No one on either side even blinked. Different times...

• Like 2

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

1 hour ago, Joe from WY said:

Guatemala is a fascinating, dangerous place. Wildly beautiful and fun, but equally dangerous. It's gotten a lot worse over the last decade too. 

That said, I don't think they'd blink twice now if you walked over from Mexicali with a machete. I think that's standard issue in that town. That said, I've always had fun in Mexicali. 

I can't imagine they'd be too thrilled on the US side. That's always the hassle crossing nowadays.

• Like 1

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

15 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I had a sword in my bag once and the guard at the Beirut Airport took it out and held it at my chest with a really serious look, then burst into laughter and gave it back to me and waved me through. 

There are two types of men in the world.  Those who own a sword(s) and those that do not.  Don't be the latter.

• Like 2