mugtang

One bullet dodged, several more to worry about

11 hours ago, masterfrog said:

Coaching at Washington, which is 50 years removed from success, is a lot better than trying to follow Boeheim.

Good point, following a legend rarely works out well. 

10 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

FWIW, I think Muss sticks around for another year. Cal us the only there school I think has a chance of snagging him.

Cal may look at St Mary's Randy Bennett, but he may be content to stay with the comfort of  the WCC  ala Mark Few.If i was Cal i would try and court, Dan Hurley,Archie Miller, even Kermit Davis.That's assuming they are not after Mussleman.

21 minutes ago, westfan said:

Cal may look at St Mary's Randy Bennett, but he may be content to stay with the comfort of  the WCC  ala Mark Few.If i was Cal i would try and court, Dan Hurley,Archie Miller, even Kermit Davis.That's assuming they are not after Mussleman.

I think Bennett is content at St. Mary's, just like Few at Gonzaga. I don't have any inside info on the Cal search, but Miller is also on IU's list (and fairly high on that list, at that). Miller has said, or at least implied, that when he leaves Dayton it will be for an elite job. Cal doesn't strike me as an elite job.

Washington was the one I thought would get Muss. For some reason, I just don't see him at Cal. Bennett really seems like the guy there (would St. Mary's go after Muss? Certainly they can pay more and location is good for him). As for LSU, I think they get someone bigger than Muss. I think Muss returns for at least one season and could be a few more depending on what jobs open. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more worried I'd be about St. Mary's opening up. OTOH, they may want to go the lead assistant route to maintain continuity.

I think Miller to Indiana is gonna happen. I think UCLA goes to the Final 4 and they keep Alford. That buyout is an obscene amount of money even for a B1G team. If that's the case, I don't see Muss going to Dayton either.

Muss has a son in high school in the Bay Area but he will graduate soon and likely go away to college like his brother.  I can't see Muss taking the gig just to be near his ex wife..

Now if Cal wants to throw a bunch of money at him that would be a different story..I don't think they will throw a lot of money at anybody..

4 hours ago, westfan said:

No way Cal will hire Davis. Cal's alumni never liked Sonny Dykes; just too good ole boy. Davis would have the identical problem.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Cal is apparently interviewing Musselman.  It would be interesting if they hired him.  He has a DUI on his record, and he hired an assistant who Cal fired.  I think they will go in another direction.

I don't think Cal is that great of a job with their academic requirements.  Stanford, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin face the same issue.  Diamond Stone gave a silent to Wisconsin a few years ago, but he was denied admission.

4 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Washington was the one I thought would get Muss. For some reason, I just don't see him at Cal. Bennett really seems like the guy there (would St. Mary's go after Muss? Certainly they can pay more and location is good for him). As for LSU, I think they get someone bigger than Muss. I think Muss returns for at least one season and could be a few more depending on what jobs open. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more worried I'd be about St. Mary's opening up. OTOH, they may want to go the lead assistant route to maintain continuity.

I think Miller to Indiana is gonna happen. I think UCLA goes to the Final 4 and they keep Alford. That buyout is an obscene amount of money even for a B1G team. If that's the case, I don't see Muss going to Dayton either.

St Mary's? LOL. No. 

Cal? I think Nevada will be looking for a new coach if the job is offered to him. 

7 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Cal is apparently interviewing Musselman.  It would be interesting if they hired him.  He has a DUI on his record, and he hired an assistant who Cal fired.  I think they will go in another direction.

I don't think Cal is that great of a job with their academic requirements.  Stanford, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin face the same issue.  Diamond Stone gave a silent to Wisconsin a few years ago, but he was denied admission.

Link on your first statement? I've not read a thing from our AD mentioning that Cal has requested permission. Then again, I've actually been working the last few weeks. 

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Link on your first statement? I've not read a thing from our AD mentioning that Cal has requested permission. Then again, I've actually been working the last few weeks. 

That's what EastSPN Radio Las Vegas is saying.

16 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

St Mary's? LOL. No. 

Cal? I think Nevada will be looking for a new coach if the job is offered to him. 

It's where he supposedly wants to be, closer to his family. I don't know what they pay Bennett, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if it is close to $2 mil.

Just now, SharkTanked said:

It's where he supposedly wants to be, closer to his family. I don't know what they pay Bennett, but I wouldn't be at all shocked if it is close to $2 mil.

His son graduates next June.  He will likely go elsewhere for college like his brother.  Muss has no other family in the area.  His mom lives in San Diego.  He would not be taking the Cal job to be near family..He would take it for the money and the Pac 12 pedigree..There is nothing noble or ignoble about any of it. This is how the guy makes his living..It's just business..

• Like 2