Nevada Convert

Kaepernick a long shot to play in the NFL again.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:39 PM, just_chris said:

Here is the thing, I heard this morning that 33% of the passes he threw last year were catchable and just dropped by the guys he was throwing to. Imagine if any QB cold increase his completion percentage by 1/3? I'm not saying he is good but he def is better than some of the other guys getting signed. 

I also take issue with the fact that teams are ok with what Joe Mixon did which to me is much much worse than Kap  

I don't think Kap or Mixon should be barred from the league.  Kap has the right to look like an ass.  Mixon made a poor decision, owned up to it, and was punished.

21 hours ago, renoskier said:

I predict that come next September, Kaep will once again be getting paid millions to play a game.

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

He's done with FB for now.  Will the Cubs be interested in him now? Maybe. They wouldn't pay him shiit coming up through the minors to prove himself, though.

Hmmm.....perhaps you'd like to make a little avatar wager?

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

He's done with FB for now.  Will the Cubs be interested in him now? Maybe. They wouldn't pay him shiit coming up through the minors to prove himself, though.

I'm doubtful MLB teams would be stepping all over each other to sign a 29 year old who hasn't pitched a competitive game in over a decade.Those factors and these HS stats don't say MLB potential to me.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/colin-kaepernick/dOQ1zPTlEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/baseball-stats.htm

Doesn't matter how hard you throw, if it's straight it's going to get hit in pro baseball. The scout who persuaded the Cubs to use a pick on Kaep never even saw him play baseball, only football at Nevada.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PackNation said:

I'm doubtful MLB teams would be stepping all over each other to sign a 29 year old who hasn't pitched a competitive game in over a decade.Those factors and these HS stats don't say MLB potential to me.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/colin-kaepernick/dOQ1zPTlEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/baseball-stats.htm

Doesn't matter how hard you throw, if it's straight it's going to get hit in pro baseball. The scout who persuaded the Cubs to use a pick on Kaep never even saw him play baseball, only football at Nevada.

Obviously. But with the major shortage of good pitching in MLB, it wouldn't cost them anything to see him work out. The opening pitch he threw a few year ago was clocked in the mid to upper 80's IIRC, but he did warm up in a bullpen area before he threw out the pitch. 

But at his age, he would most likely be used as a closer for an inning or two. That's if he can get his fastballs in the upper 90's. I suppose he might be able to do it with a lot of work. Kap would probably have to work very hard on his own and if he does have good pitches, I'm sure it would be easy to get a few Scouts out to watch him throw. But I suppose he'd have to be really impressive for club to sign him because of the politics. 

kat.jpg

On 3/18/2017 at 10:06 AM, Wyovanian said:

Your rights as an American take a backseat in voluntary employment. Time and place are two things that come under consideration in free speech cases, and Kapernick's place of employment while wearing his employer's uniform was neither the time nor place. Individuals' crimes against other individuals will always be perceived as lesser than disrespect for the values of a populace. Folks will forgive transgressions. They won't forgive apostasy. This goes all the way back to Christ and Barabbas.

In other words, we are one F'D up country!

3 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Hardly. His employer pretty much looked the other way....

That absolutely is NOT the case. Chip Kelly and the 49'ers organization publicly supported Kaepernick. Kelly even had a back and forth argument with a reporter during a post game press conference about it. Your opinion of the protest from the beginning is well documented on here, but let's not make up facts to support your stance on it. Right, wrong or indifferent, the protest was a significant stance by a player who knowingly risked everything for his cause. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Obviously. But with the major shortage of good pitching in MLB, it wouldn't cost them anything to see him work out. The opening pitch he threw a few year ago was clocked in the mid to upper 80's IIRC, but he did warm up in a bullpen area before he threw out the pitch. 

But at his age, he would most likely be used as a closer for an inning or two. That's if he can get his fastballs in the upper 90's. I suppose he might be able to do it with a lot of work. Kap would probably have to work very hard on his own and if he does have good pitches, I'm sure it would be easy to get a few Scouts out to watch him throw. But I suppose he'd have to be really impressive for club to sign him because of the politics. 

While there is a shortage of pitching, without a breaking ball or off speed pitch, he wouldn't last long, but I have no knowledge that he does or does not have either pitch in his arsenal. But there is a bigger shortage of QB's than pitchers, so I suspect that he finds a landing spot somewhere in the NFL even if its as a backup with a chance to prove himself again. If he shows he can win and his protest has, in fact, stopped for good, people will forget. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

That absolutely is NOT the case. Chip Kelly and the 49'ers organization publicly supported Kaepernick. Kelly even had a back and forth argument with a reporter during a post game press conference about it. Your opinion of the protest from the beginning is well documented on here, but let's not make up facts to support your stance on it. Right, wrong or indifferent, the protest was a significant stance by a player who knowingly risked everything for his cause. 

The NFL remained silent.

• Like 1

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

His employer matched Kap's $1 million pledge. I'd say they did more than look the other way.

Of course they did.  Nobody wanted to look bad.  Considering available options they made the smart play.  Say nothing.  Match their franchise QB money.  Then cut him loose.  I think the walking papers say enough for such a QB starved league. 

5 minutes ago, slappy said:

Of course they did.  Nobody wanted to look bad.  Considering available options they made the smart play.  Say nothing.  Match their franchise QB money.  Then cut him loose.  I think the walking papers say enough for such a QB starved league. 

He may have been gone even if he hadn't of made an ass of himself. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

He may have been gone even if he hadn't of made an ass of himself. 

Tough to tell.  He is a serviceable back up.  3-5 million a year isn't a bad deal for a backup.  Who knows. But I'm not surprised nobody wants him to come be a starter.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

The NFL remained silent.

That, too, is incorrect. The commissioner came out and openly supported him. His exact words were:

"Well my personal thoughts are... I support our players when they want to see change in society, and we don't live in a perfect society. We live in an imperfect society."

Youre allowing your personal feelings on the subject to affect your memory on the events that played out. 

14 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

That, too, is incorrect. The commissioner came out and openly supported him. His exact words were:

"Well my personal thoughts are... I support our players when they want to see change in society, and we don't live in a perfect society. We live in an imperfect society."

Youre allowing your personal feelings on the subject to affect your memory on the events that played out. 

Guess I missed it. I don't remember the NFL saying anything one or another. And, quite honestly, shame on the NFL for politicizing its brand. Employees want to get political on their own time, that's fine, but when an employee hitches his employer's identity to his cause, that's a problem.

My personal feelings have nothing to do with it. BLM is based on a myth and apocrypha. The facts run counter to the narrative that IS based on feelings and perception. It's got more in common with religion than social policy and is an insult to true civil rights struggles.

Kapernick's a twit, and so is anyone who buys the hype.

• Like 3

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

2 hours ago, Slapdad said:

While there is a shortage of pitching, without a breaking ball or off speed pitch, he wouldn't last long, but I have no knowledge that he does or does not have either pitch in his arsenal. But there is a bigger shortage of QB's than pitchers, so I suspect that he finds a landing spot somewhere in the NFL even if its as a backup with a chance to prove himself again. If he shows he can win and his protest has, in fact, stopped for good, people will forget. 

Yep, good post.

I don't know what he can or can't throw either, but based on his HS #'s I suspect he threw hard with not a lot of control. Looks like put a lot of runners on base by walk and HBP. And averaging just over 1 K per inning at that level, while supposedly throwing at 90+ mph is good but not exceptional IMO .I don't know how he can have improved on anything in his skillset by not pitching for 10 years. 

Closers that put put runners on base aren't closers very long. Especially at his age when you have plenty of youngsters that throw in the 90's. Plus, I've never understood all the speculation over the years that he was such a great pitching prospect and the only reason he didn't pursue baseball was he loved football more. Even if 100% true about football I still think he would have been scouted more and drafted higher than the Cubs picked him. True prospects rarely sneak by, especially in baseball hotbeds. MLB teams use higher picks every year on kids they are sure they have little chance of signing.

3 hours ago, PackNation said:

Yep, good post.

I don't know what he can or can't throw either, but based on his HS #'s I suspect he threw hard with not a lot of control. Looks like put a lot of runners on base by walk and HBP. And averaging just over 1 K per inning at that level, while supposedly throwing at 90+ mph is good but not exceptional IMO .I don't know how he can have improved on anything in his skillset by not pitching for 10 years. 

Closers that put put runners on base aren't closers very long. Especially at his age when you have plenty of youngsters that throw in the 90's. Plus, I've never understood all the speculation over the years that he was such a great pitching prospect and the only reason he didn't pursue baseball was he loved football more. Even if 100% true about football I still think he would have been scouted more and drafted higher than the Cubs picked him. True prospects rarely sneak by, especially in baseball hotbeds. MLB teams use higher picks every year on kids they are sure they have little chance of signing.

Kap's not going to play baseball, he's no Tebow.