Nevada Convert

Kaepernick a long shot to play in the NFL again.

47 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

As I said at the time. (SGF now awaits mysfit to again call him a bigot for saying so.)

I also said at the time his so doing might arguably be free speech but that it was going to hurt not only him but also the team. (Mysfit?)

Oh yeah and Mike Glennon does indeed suck big donkey balls. Just what dumbass franchise gave that stiff $13M per?

While his NFL career might suffer, at least for this year, his legacy will likely be much more meaningful long term.....more so than all but a select few QB's playing today. 

58 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

While his NFL career might suffer, at least for this year, his legacy will likely be much more meaningful long term.....more so than all but a select few QB's playing today. 

I think his legacy will be that of an idiot who threw a career  away by being an attention whore. 

He made his point the first time he took a knee. Everything beyond that was for self serving purposes.  If he would have stopped  after the first time and not done the 'pig sock' shit, he'd probably still be playing in the NFL. 

He could be a serviceable backup, but so can a lot of other guys who don't bring a bunch of unwanted drama with them. 

• Like 3

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

I like Kap, but if I were a GM, I wouldn't think twice about him.  I'm fine with protesting and all that, just not on my dime.  Make a statement when you're not on the clock and certainly not when the program is getting ready to play an opponent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think his legacy will be that of an idiot who threw a career  away by being an attention whore. 

He made his point the first time he took a knee. Everything beyond that was for self serving purposes.  If he would have stopped  after the first time and not done the 'pig sock' shit, he'd probably still be playing in the NFL. 

He could be a serviceable backup, but so can a lot of other guys who don't bring a bunch of unwanted drama with them. 

San Fran has to be the most forgiving community for a player to pull a stunt like that. But he had to have known that he was writing himself off, elsewhere. 

Pro sports exist to ultimately make its customers feel good. When you pull a stunt that causes over half of the customers to not feel good, you are working head-on against the NFL mission statement in a massive way. He'll need to get a chance to prove that he can make people feel good again by winning a lot, and that will cancel out some of the bad. But it could be quite a while before he could ever get a chance to make people feel good, and of course he'd have to play great. 

His best case scenario is probably to sit out a season or two and remain low profile. He'd have to stay in shape and then eventually sneak back onto a roster as a back up. 

• Like 2

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I would hardly call putting yourself in that position as you approach free agency self serving. He knew what the backlash was from day one and I'm quite sure that his people reminded him of it as did fans at every stop on the road. He didn't make a public statement before he refused to stand and, in fact, was reluctant to talk about it in the beginning.....hardly the sign of an attention whore and certainly not self-serving. In fact, quite the opposite. Whether I or you believe in what he stood (or in this case, knelt) for or the way he chose to make his point is neither here nor there....he stuck to his guns for something he believes in. Tommie Smith and John Carlos know a thing or two about the consequences of a protest such as this and they have had conversations about it. Anyone who is saying that his actions were self serving would, I'm quite sure, change their mind if they shadowed him during the season and heard the vitriol and hatred directed at him. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

San Fran has to be the most forgiving community for a player to pull a stunt like that. But he had to have known that he was writing himself off, elsewhere. 

Yep. In a redneck location like Nashville they would have burned his likeness in effigy.

• Like 1

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, Slapdad said:

I would hardly call putting yourself in that position as you approach free agency self serving. He knew what the backlash was from day one and I'm quite sure that his people reminded him of it as did fans at every stop on the road. He didn't make a public statement before he refused to stand and, in fact, was reluctant to talk about it in the beginning.....hardly the sign of an attention whore and certainly not self-serving. In fact, quite the opposite. Whether I or you believe in what he stood (or in this case, knelt) for or the way he chose to make his point is neither here nor there....he stuck to his guns for something he believes in. Tommie Smith and John Carlos know a thing or two about the consequences of a protest such as this and they have had conversations about it. Anyone who is saying that his actions were self serving would, I'm quite sure, change their mind if they shadowed him during the season and heard the vitriol and hatred directed at him. 

Remind me again why he suddenly dropped the protest?  Didn't he say the cause was "bigger than football"?  

Once he figured out he was going to need a job elsewhere, he decides there are better ways to go about it than continuing the Kaep Show. 

The Carlos/Smith comparisons are overreaching. Kaep is no martyr.  Kaep is an attention whore who lacks the brains and communication skills to be a spokesperson for any sort of social protest. 

• Like 3

Barack Obama

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

I predict that come next September, Kaep will once again be getting paid millions to play a game.

This.

I think everyone is waiting for starters, then the back ups will go.  He will backup somewhere. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Remind me again why he suddenly dropped the protest?  Didn't he say the cause was "bigger than football"?  

Once he figured out he was going to need a job elsewhere, he decides there are better ways to go about it than continuing the Kaep Show. 

The Carlos/Smith comparisons are overreaching. 

Kaep is no martyr.  Kaep is an attention whore who lacks the brains and communication skills to be a spokesperson for any sort of social protest. 

Are you suggesting that he had no idea of what the backlash was until after the season AND that he forgot about his upcoming free agency? The easy way would have been to give up after the initial backlash and claim he had brought awareness to the issue after a week or two (which is what I would have done). If you think that he lacks brains or is an attention whore, then you know nothing about him. I don't believe that he lacks communication skills, I believe that he is uncomfortable in the spotlight and always has been. 

So tell me why you think that the Carlos and Smith comparisons are overreaching? What did they risk that Kaep hasn't? What did they accomplish that was so extraordinary? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Are you suggesting that he had no idea of what the backlash was until after the season AND that he forgot about his upcoming free agency? The easy way would have been to give up after the initial backlash and claim he had brought awareness to the issue after a week or two (which is what I would have done). If you think that he lacks brains or is an attention whore, then you know nothing about him. I don't believe that he lacks communication skills, I believe that he is uncomfortable in the spotlight and always has been. 

So tell me why you think that the Carlos and Smith comparisons are overreaching? What did they risk that Kaep hasn't? What did they accomplish that was so extraordinary? 

I really don't think Kaep fully understood the backlash until it was too late.  Once he did, he hypocritically tried to pivot. 

The Carlos/Smith protests are historically significant. The Kaep Show  is not and never will be.  They just aren't in the same league.

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I really don't think Kaep fully understood the backlash until it was too late.  Once he did, he hypocritically tried to pivot. 

The Carlos/Smith protests are historically significant. The Kaep Show  is not and never will be.  They just aren't in the same league.

They're only historically significant through the lens of history. Carlos and Smith were widely denounced at the time. I think the first player to ever demonstrate in by far the most popular league in American history will be looked upon differently in 50 years, especially if he ends up blackballed from the league.

• Like 5

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

15 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

this. kap had the misfortune of being in san francisco, there was no way he was going to be successful in that clown show.

as for the rest of it, he just sent an entire plane load of food and medicine to somalia. we should all be so 'un-American'...

I saw that, I'm not saying he should get a chance to play again because he's put his money where his mouth is but because I think he's still better than guys like McNown, Glennon and Geno Smith 

• Like 2

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

They're only historically significant through the lens of history. Carlos and Smith were widely denounced at the time.  I think the first player to ever demonstrate in by far the most popular league in American history will be looked upon differently in 50 years, especially if he ends up blackballed from the league.

I really doubt that. 

Kaep is not blackballed from the league.  He just isn't good enough to be worth the baggage unless you have no other option. If he was a better player, he'd have a job.

He still might get picked up, especially if someone gets hurt. Or maybe he'll play in Canada. 

Barack Obama

10 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You might believe that Kaepernick's protest is nothing but a blip, but only the passage of time will say for sure where his protest falls, but I doubt very highly that it will be as insignificant as you seem to think it will be. You may not like him and you may not agree with his anthem protest, but you can't say how his protest will be viewed years down the road.  

9 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

You might believe that Kaepernick's protest is nothing but a blip, but only the passage of time will say for sure where his protest falls, but I doubt very highly that it will be as insignificant as you seem to think it will be. You may not like him and you may not agree with his anthem protest, but you can't say how his protest will be viewed years down the road.  

We will never agree on the significance of what he did or why he even did it. 

I still think his older, wiser, and much smarter girlfriend manipulated his dumb ass into the whole SJW bullshit.  And he loved the show. It made him relevant again, at least for awhile.  

• Like 1

Barack Obama

9 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Your rights as an American take a backseat in voluntary employment. Time and place are two things that come under consideration in free speech cases, and Kapernick's place of employment while wearing his employer's uniform was neither the time nor place. Individuals' crimes against other individuals will always be perceived as lesser than disrespect for the values of a populace. Folks will forgive transgressions. They won't forgive apostasy. This goes all the way back to Christ and Barabbas.

His employer at the time was supportive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

The Carlos/Smith comparisons are overreaching. Kaep is no martyr.  Kaep is an attention whore who lacks the brains and communication skills to be a spokesperson for any sort of social protest. 

Preach it, brother. Spot on. 

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Baseball is an even more conservative sport than football. 

His best bet is Canada. 

Yeah, the minor league towns are often conservative and that boy would get his arse reemed nonstop by opponent players and fans. It would be one thing if he came out and said that what he did wasn't right and apologized for it. But he hasn't apologized and he won't, so there is the problem. He will be a villain to opposing clubs and even some on his team as long as he plays sports. 

• Like 1

kat.jpg