ph90702

Cuonzo Martin

25 minutes ago, aztech said:

Wow, that's a lot of dough for a public mid-major institution.  They must have some big boosters there.

One of the Koch brothers bankrolls them. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Just now, aztech said:

Seriously?

They play in the Charles Koch Arena

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Koch_Arena

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

20 hours ago, just_chris said:

You can deny reality all you want, he is a hot prospect, he coached in the NBA. He took a 9 win team and turned them into an NCAA Tournament team in 2 years. Now I told you I knew he was looking into the Cal and LSU job but U Dub threw a wrench into it because nobody expected Romar to be axed but Washington is a better job then Cal. On the bright side if he did decide to stay at Reno I think it's entirely possible he turns Reno into a perennial mid major power dominating the MW because he is quite clearly a cut above everyone outside of an on his way out Fisher and Eustachy. 

Just the fact that he hired Cal's scandal riden and fired, asst coach, might be enough for Cal not to have interest in Muss, even if Muss has interest in Cal. 

We'll find out for sure soon enough.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Just the fact that he hired Cal's scandal riden and fired, asst coach, might be enough for Cal not to have interest in Muss, even if Muss has interest in Cal. 

We'll find out for sure soon enough.  

If there was any morality in college sports I'd agree with but you and I both know there isn't 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

15 minutes ago, just_chris said:

If there was any morality in college sports I'd agree with but you and I both know there isn't 

Cal was highly embarrassed by that incident and would not want to deal with the baggage and questions that would surely come with the hire.  Some media types would drag up his DUI from 10 years ago too. 

Muss may end up there, who knows? But I doubt he'd be their first or third choice.  And unless they are give him more money than they were giving Cunzo, it wouldn't be a big bump for him. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

According to the SF Chronicle, Cuonzo made 250k base in addition to a 1.65m talent fee for this season. 1.9 million is borderline top 25 in pay.  I can't for the life of me understand how Mizzou could justify giving him top 10 pay. How much is Muss making?

But my money is on Joe Pasternak. I just don't know if Muss wants to deal with the academic handicaps, or if Cal wants a guy who isn't familiar with that culture.  

9 hours ago, Fezznsb said:

According to the SF Chronicle, Cuonzo made 250k base in addition to a 1.65m talent fee for this season. 1.9 million is borderline top 25 in pay.  I can't for the life of me understand how Mizzou could justify giving him top 10 pay. How much is Muss making?

But my money is on Joe Pasternak. I just don't know if Muss wants to deal with the academic handicaps, or if Cal wants a guy who isn't familiar with that culture.  

By my calculations Muss made $645,000 this year.

Muss makes a base $300,000 and gets an easy $100,000 for media appearances. There are $10,000 bonuses for winning the league, conference tourney, and playing in the NCAA's. He then gets 50% of every dollar in ticket sales over $1.2 million up to $500,000. Last year he boosted sales to over $1.6 million giving him an extra $215,000. This year he crushed attendance so 2017 ticket sales should be over $2 million and approaching the $2.2 million number that would give him the full amount. If he maxed out that bonus he would enter next year making $900,000.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

10 hours ago, Fezznsb said:

the $EC pays them so much money they don't know what to spend it all on...same with L$U I could see them throwing mad cash at Tom Crean to try and get his interest.

• Like 1

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 hours ago, Fezznsb said:

I have a hard time that a power conference team is going to hire an assistant as a head coach in this era.  The only two that I can think of who did are Marquette and Northwestern, but both of their hires were assistants under Coach K.

21 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I have a hard time that a power conference team is going to hire an assistant as a head coach in this era.  The only two that I can think of who did are Marquette and Northwestern, but both of their hires were assistants under Coach K.

Whoops, Washington just did. Nevada dodges one bullet.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fezznsb said:

I think he'll recruit well because he's a known commodity within the bball world. But he hasn't lived in CA since the mid 80s. I don't think his teen years in CA 3 decades ago will have much of an effect on his recruiting prowess. 

He played for Mater Deibto my knowledge.  He will have connections in California.

13 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

He played for Mater Deibto my knowledge.  He will have connections in California.

So... Pasternack at Cal makes even more sense right? Coached at Cal for years, recruits CA, primary recruiter for Oakland Soldiers. 

On 3/17/2017 at 2:20 PM, Fezznsb said:

If I were to guess, I don't think Cal or UW go after Muss. Maybe a call/interview, but not ultimately.  

Still don't think Cal was ever as serious about him. Pasternack or someone totally out of the blue. 

10 minutes ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Then why'd they interview him twice?

No clue. But my point, even before his interviews, was that even if they interviewed, I still didn't believe he'd be the guy ultimately. His red marks are literally their biggest concerns in a coaching candidate. I, and the people at Cal I trust, didn't think they'd be able to overcome that. 

That, and their biggest booster is family friends with Joe Pasternack, the same family they're counting on paying for their new basketball facility.